Brittle star feeding

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am considering getting a brittle starfish but i wanted to know what i should feed it currently i only have frozen brine shrimp for my other fish but i don't think that would be enough what would i feed it?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Brittle Stars are detritivores and do not need direct feeding in a well stocked tank. Some are predatory and will require direct feeding of meaty foods such as krill, squid, and silver sides. The predatory species can also eat small fish and invertebrates in your display.

OP
OP
bobmakespancakes

bobmakespancakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Brittle Stars are detritivores and do not need direct feeding in a well stocked tank. Some are predatory and will require direct feeding of meaty foods such as krill, squid, and silver sides. The predatory species can also eat small fish and invertebrates in your display.
should i worry about eating small clownfish or a firefish?

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Brittle Star is the detritivore... that is the one you want if you would like a non-killer. When you feed your fish and cleanup crew make sure some food drops near him. A sinking pellet or two when the star is small makes them pretty friendly. A small chunk of clam, shrimp or fish from the seafood section of the supermarket works well when they get bigger. I sometime use a tube to guide the food to my brittle star (4 years old)... he waits like a puppy.

A Serpent Star is a predator and will kill your fish, crabs and snails if not fed very well. They kind of look the same... Brittle is hairy and the Serpent is smooth skin. Do your research before buying.

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets work the best in my experience. It's very cool to see how the star rolls the pellets up its arm on the underside to its mouth.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back