BrokenReefer’s 150G build thread

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I’ll throw myself into the tank build mix, which I’ll preface by saying this wasn’t my smartest decision while married. The Wife is 31 weeks pregnant and our 2-yr old just started to love fishies … so naturally I impulse bought a tank.

As it is usually said, this will be an evolutionary project.

The location I landed on was almost too perfect, we have a strange little bar nook that is perfectly recessed from the other basement areas.

92E65182-BDBE-4E00-A8EB-81800C85C536.jpeg

the tank was bought used from a local reefer and, as you can tell, is just right sized for my daughter.

2737822E-CEEE-4243-B903-3799865C508F.jpeg

The main water line feeding my house is in the closet to the right and I was concerned that there was a water line or some other hidden problem. But there wasn’t, all clear.

1CB9892B-BB95-4DC6-A76F-8F262B449192.jpeg

then the demo began. I ripped out the drywall behind the top, the ceiling, and 26” from the back wall - that’ll leave me plenty of room for the false cabinet fronts.

DD7C4D32-2361-40D1-9417-010A11BDE78C.jpeg
FE780BDA-608C-43D9-82D1-345938309703.jpeg
8F55E945-EAF8-4431-B1F9-D3738B7FDAF2.jpeg

not being one to under engineer things, I was confident in overbuilding this stand. I used 2x6s anchored into the studs, added cross bracing to support the middle and ends of the tank location, 2x4 base framing, and a double laminated 2x6 leg that I cut a cheek into to carry the load. I also added a new 4-gang outlet below the stand for sump and equipment, ran a new GFCI outlet in the ceiling for the future lights, and (again over build) added all new GFCI outlets.

1DFB5EA1-22BE-4DD4-BE7A-54A937C42635.jpeg
97AE4403-510D-4B90-931E-C30C575450FB.jpeg
251F28F0-7C03-4DFC-91BA-FAC381ADD054.jpeg
3BDFF387-4C3D-4717-B626-75AF16FFCA24.jpeg
DF240AFE-3E31-4355-BCC2-204C451F611C.jpeg
4C936E42-1B13-40AD-855E-4FFA3FFE9FB9.jpeg
134EEF96-848A-4655-8CC0-5D08C281FFD4.jpeg
20766CF4-CE11-4191-AA04-5FA57985F1FD.jpeg
BD49CC54-1397-47A1-B5A8-2050300048C8.jpeg

And that’s where I have stopped. I need to add 1/2 ply to the base, I am considering using a mold/mildew resistant drywall inside the stand and paint, and I have to hire a drywaller to do the dirty work. I can do a lot of things and drywall is not one of them.

I also need to figure out what type of countertop I want installed. I’m leaning towards marble since it’s cost-wise cheaper than any engineered stone product.

oh and my first order from BRS should arrive Thursday or Friday. Marco rock, skimmer, return pump, stuff like that.

Looking forward to keeping track of the progress!

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess mows a good time to expand on tank equipment.

Tank: 48” (L) x 24” (W) x 31” (H) with Eshopps Eclipse L overflow installed on the side.

sump: up for debate but I’m leaning towards Trigger Systems

skimmer: Aquamaxx DFC-280

return pump: Neptune COR-15

power head(s): Tunze Turbelle Stream 6085 with Controller

thermostat: BRS 600w with ink bird

Hanna salinity tester, Brightwell Microbacter dry rock starter kit, and 160lbs of macro rock.
I have no idea what lights I’m gonna run yet but for now it’ll be ambient room light for the fish when they get a home.

I know I’m missing some pieces on the list.
Oh and I’m also thinking about wandering down one of the Triton-esque rabbit holes.

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking what I see so far. That looks like a perfect space for a tank. FYI, I was running the BRS 600w titanium heating element on a Ranco controller and it went out on me yesterday after 10 months of use on my 150 gallon. BRS is replacing it under warranty but I was informed they have been replacing a hand full as of lately. Bad batch or faulty design? IDK. I believe the ink bird has two plugs right? I suggest you purchase two heaters and run them both on the controller. It will split the work load and gives you a bit of redundancy if one fails. I really like Kellymoore's DuraPoxy paint. I used it on a kitchen nook and it stands the test of time...super durable and easy to clean. It's a bit pricey but I well worth it. I painted the wall behind my tank with it...great paint. Did you add that 2x4 in the ceiling? Is it centered over the tank? Humidity is an ongoing issue for me especially now during the winter. What's the average temp in the room? Is the wall behind the tank an outside wall? My tank is in my office which is right behind my garage and it can get cold in there. This might not be a big issue for you if you have a temp controlled room. I will be keeping my eye on this build. Keep up the great work!

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great size tank and it looks like it fits perfectly in that nook.

Have you thought about bringing the tank forward to be flush with the corner on the left? This would give you two views of the tank, the front and one side. More importantly it would be awesome to have access to the tank from behind. Possibly have access through the closet or just take over the closet and make a mini fish room with the closet and space behind the tank.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking what I see so far. That looks like a perfect space for a tank. FYI, I was running the BRS 600w titanium heating element on a Ranco controller and it went out on me yesterday after 10 months of use on my 150 gallon. BRS is replacing it under warranty but I was informed they have been replacing a hand full as of lately. Bad batch or faulty design? IDK. I believe the ink bird has two plugs right? I suggest you purchase two heaters and run them both on the controller. It will split the work load and gives you a bit of redundancy if one fails. I really like Kellymoore's DuraPoxy paint. I used it on a kitchen nook and it stands the test of time...super durable and easy to clean. It's a bit pricey but I well worth it. I painted the wall behind my tank with it...great paint. Did you add that 2x4 in the ceiling? Is it centered over the tank? Humidity is an ongoing issue for me especially now during the winter. What's the average temp in the room? Is the wall behind the tank an outside wall? My tank is in my office which is right behind my garage and it can get cold in there. This might not be a big issue for you if you have a temp controlled room. I will be keeping my eye on this build. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for that feedback on the BRS heater - I'll grab another one from the LFS in town, I need to get salt mix from them anyhow.

I'll have to look into Kellymoore Paint, never head of that brand - I figure being somewhat like a bathroom, I don't want any latex based paint and I'll definitely want something durable. So thank you for that reco!

I did not add the strapping to the celing, it was already there; however, you make a great point about it being centered in the space. I did not consider that before and thankfully, drywall is still a bit away so I can correct that.

You are also correct, the wall directly behind the tank is an outside wall, foundation wall; I will be adding some insulation to the lower wall cavity (which I'm frankly surprised they didn't insulate the whole cavity but nothing in this house should surprise me anymore). The basement is fairly stable in temps, we try to keep the house around 70-72* most of the time. Our HVAC has a humidifier and dehumidifier capability, so hopefully I won't need to add a dehumidifier come Summer.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great size tank and it looks like it fits perfectly in that nook.

Have you thought about bringing the tank forward to be flush with the corner on the left? This would give you two views of the tank, the front and one side. More importantly it would be awesome to have access to the tank from behind. Possibly have access through the closet or just take over the closet and make a mini fish room with the closet and space behind the tank.

I did think about bringing it forward for a minute; however, the space inside the closet is only ~24" so it really isn't that useful for anything other than MISC storage at the moment. I'll rework how that closet is set up to allow me to have a QT tank and maybe even an ATO setup.

For me, the ease of keeping it within that nook was more important given how the Wife isn't exactly thrilled with my decision making at the moment. o_O;Shamefullyembarrased

I was going to try and keep the tank face inset by about 1" and make a false wall to go around the tank but really ended up talking myself out of it because that would be a lot of work for little reward. And it would make servicing the tank a huge PITA, which I'm already somewhat worried about with the HVAC soffit run above it. :eek:

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few minutes today while the daughter napped, so I installed the stand bottom (1/2” CDX plywood glued and screwed) and the center brace.
60875D2B-BEFD-4F52-A695-D5712EC965AD.jpeg

Call it genius if you must, or to be more accurate I was using remnants from the wood-shop, but I laid out the base in three pieces with the center ply being removable. In the event I needed to get full access to the stand base I can take out the center brace and plywood.
D0B4CC27-B904-48DD-93EA-4D8898C627D7.jpeg

I was quoted a price to drywall/patch/paint, granted this was for more than where the tank is, $1900!!! Yikes. Looks like I’m getting mold resistant drywall from the big box store this weekend. I suck at tape and mud but at least I can get the walls prepped and hopefully drive that cost down.

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up one of these and hook it up to your shop vac (). I use it on all my dry wall work and it reduces the dust by a ton...maybe over 95%. Use it on all the layers except for the final finish coat as you want that to be extra smooth. I usually sand the final coat with one of those large foam sanding blocks...fine grit. Just hold the shop vac hose close to where you will be sanding to help minimize the dust. Pick up one of those 5 gallon premixed mud buckets. It takes longer to dry but sands easily and you don't have to deal with mixing that crap. For the flat seams, I use the self adhesive drywall tape...just much easier to work with. You will need the paper ones for the corners. For the corners, I suggest you get the tape "stuck" on there with mud and let it dry before trying to mud it all in. Do one side at a time...I find it easier to get a nice clean line. Keep the layers light...do not apply it too thick. Don't try to cover everything in one shot, you will get the spots missed with the subsequent coats I am by no means a drywall guy, but have done enough small jobs around the house and have learned from my mistakes. Good luck!

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to tile the wall behind the tank? I keep waffling on whether or not I want to paint it or tile it.

many who, BRS packages arrive tomorrow and I am working out the details with Trigger Systems for the new sump. Hopefully we can get that shipped out soon and I can get to work on the plumbing rough-in: won’t be able to finish that until the countertop is installed.

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be better to tile the wall behind the tank? I keep waffling on whether or not I want to paint it or tile
Depending on the look you’re going for, maybe installing laminate flooring boards to the back wall can be an option. Looks like shiplap but much more durable. I think it fits the look of the room well…just a thought.

Attachments

• B7FE61D1-35FE-41A1-81A2-BCCD4EFB8021.jpeg
    B7FE61D1-35FE-41A1-81A2-BCCD4EFB8021.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the look you’re going for, maybe installing laminate flooring boards to the back wall can be an option. Looks like shiplap but much more durable. I think it fits the look of the room well…just a thought.

I hadn't thought of that but I do like the idea. I'm negotiating on the color choice for the false cabinet fronts with the Wife. I want a nice deep blue hue with some gold or antique brass pulls, something that'll look nice and not be too gawdy. BUT, something that will also look good against the taupe/tan walls in our basement.

I'll pose that option to the Wife, she may like that if I can give her the visuals. Thanks!

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Covid got me, I don’t feel bad at all just like the flu hit me. But it isn’t. So I’m currently sidelined with any new work on the stand/tank until this QT process runs its course. Also concerned that my 2-yr old might be the next Covid case in our house: she has a slight fever, little cough, vanishing hives, and is super crabby.

First order from BRS is scheduled to be delivered between 12:30-4:00 today, so that’ll be fun to play with when it gets here. And my sump was ordered and shipped out today, that’ll get her Saturday. Cannot wait for that.

Until then I will work on the face frame for the stand and getting the inside prepped for drywall. I was thinking of adding a couple fans and a return register/vent that exhausts into the closet on the right side, as a means of humidity/heat loss. The interior will be completely sealed and I don’t want to create a rain forest in the stand.

this will be the first large tank/stand setup for me and I’m new to some of these issues. It’s been all nano tank in the past, which don’t have these same issues.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little work done late yesterday after my daughter went to bed. Got the face frame mocked up. Need to move the center stile over 1/8” but other than that, everything lined up good and it should be a nice tight fit when I get the drywall put up this weekend.

C75738BA-C817-48F4-92DA-44475E79A624.jpeg

i just used select 4s4 boards from the big box store, it’ll paint up nice. I’m going to use some 1x3s and 1/2” MDF for the false drawer fronts. Since these are false drawer fronts I won’t worry about cutting a mortise and tenon for the stiles and rails. Butt joints will be just fine. I will cut a rabbit into the back for the panel. That should be a good couple hours of work for me tomorrow. Hopefully we can get that knocked out and then all I need to really worry about it the countertop and drywall patch work. Then I can clean up the tank I bought, dry fit the aqua scape, and work on the getting things prepped for paint.

Back