Brown algae on Zoanthids

Landenb20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my first zoanthids for a week and I’ve had plug with 2 different kinds of zoas and I noticed that the first kind on the plug were and still doing fine but the different kind has been closed for awhile and I noticed some brown algae most likely diatom on the two polyps. I found it weird how it was just that kind of zoa on the frag that weren’t opening but i don’t know. Should I increase flow in the tank or use turkey baster to try to kick the algae off? Please give me advice!!!

D447D4D6-CC61-4B7C-BCCC-816434508182.jpeg

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First take a pic without blue lights so people can actually tell what we’re trying to look at, if it’s actually algae on them research doing a peroxide dip.

OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First take a pic without blue lights so people can actually tell what we’re trying to look at, if it’s actually algae on them research doing a peroxide dip.
I did some research about the peroxide dip and it seems like a good thing to try but some people also give not so good reviews on it. But I heard zoas do fine with peroxide dips so yeah. I need your guys inputs!

Attachments

• C67B4033-1BD1-443E-B5E3-0BFAAB65F1C3.jpeg
    C67B4033-1BD1-443E-B5E3-0BFAAB65F1C3.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 260

Tonyreeffish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a small fine paintbrush in my arsenal to use in situations like this. The zoas might benefit if you just gently brush the algae off.

OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a small fine paintbrush in my arsenal to use in situations like this. The zoas might benefit if you just gently brush the algae off.
I did a 50% h2o2 / 50% saltwater dip today to try to resolve it so I’ll check back in tomorrow and if there is still some algae issues I’ll definitely give that a try!

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 50% h2o2 / 50% saltwater dip today to try to resolve it so I’ll check back in tomorrow and if there is still some algae issues I’ll definitely give that a try!
Peroxide dip mashed this stuff when I had it growing on my Zoa. They bubble like crazy. I do 50/50 dips for 5 minutes and I haven’t lost any zoa yet. Mine just about always open back up the same day with no more algea on them.

OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide dip mashed this stuff when I had it growing on my Zoa. They bubble like crazy. I do 50/50 dips for 5 minutes and I haven’t lost any zoa yet. Mine just about always open back up the same day with no more algea on them.
I did mine for only two minutes yesterday and about half of them have to opened back up so far but the two polyps I was focused on with algae haven’t opened and there might be still just a slight film of algae still around them. Should I dip again for longer or what should I do?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mine for only two minutes yesterday and about half of them have to opened back up so far but the two polyps I was focused on with algae haven’t opened and there might be still just a slight film of algae still around them. Should I dip again for longer or what should I do?
Just wait. There isn’t much algea that can survive H202. And zoa get mad sometimes. May take a few days for them to open.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, am I still able to dose iodide and feed or?
I don’t feed my zoas. But @footgal is the resident expert lemme tag her and see what she says. I don’t dose iodide but I can test for it. I’m a super low maintenance reefer I just let my tank do it’s own thing and it works out most of the time.

OP
OP
Landenb20

Landenb20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feed my zoas. But @footgal is the resident expert lemme tag her and see what she says. I don’t dose iodide but I can test for it. I’m a super low maintenance reefer I just let my tank do it’s own thing and it works out most of the time.
Okay, I only think to feed because I only have the zoas and clean up crew in the tank so there isn’t a lot of stuff for them to eat on besides the light so yeah

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose a trace element solution (by seachem, red bottle) that contains Iodide since I prefer doing water changes every 2-3 weeks instead of every week. I don’t feed my zoas, they catch micro particles from feeding the fish and whatever reefroids fall on them from feeding the sps. I never saw a feeding response from the roids so I quit feeding them, it doesn’t seem to make a difference

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I only think to feed because I only have the zoas and clean up crew in the tank so there isn’t a lot of stuff for them to eat on besides the light so yeah
You can try dumping phytoplankton in. I don’t target feed mine but I do dump phyto into my tank. Zoa seem to do ok with it. When I try to target feed them anything they just get mad and close for days lol.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back