image.jpg
image.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to tell in that light. Are they in qt or in display? What else is in with them? How long have you had them? More details about them is needed.

OP
OP
lynka

lynka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 new tangs were fine. Husband introduced our long standing fish into tank. tangs then appeared to have inch. It got better. Now they have spots again, and the older tang has brown patches on her. Also my hippo tang looked great yesterday, was eating like a pig, then dead this morning !! husband says we can’t get them out for treatment but I don’t want to lose her. My pictures or videos won’t post. My clown looks ok. had the scopis, hippo and clown for a while. The scopis and clown for over 2 years, the hippo for 4 months. Moved them from my nano into the newly set up 250 after having the 2 new tangs in there for 2 weeks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I use in the tank with LPS??
Hi, I’m really sorry, but the pictures and video simply aren’t clear enough to try to make a diagnosis from.

Are the fish breathing hard/fast?
I presume the scopas has stopped feeding?

Jay

OP
OP
lynka

lynka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sorry. I keep trying to get a better picture. The patches look brownish. She is breathing a little more than normal. I think the biggest this is my hippo. He was great yesterday and dead today.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it still isn't clear to me if you are chasing velvet or a bacterial disease. Velvet causes rapid breathing and quick fish loss. The skin discoloration can occur with velvet later on, but it can also be from acute bacterial diseases. There should be a way to turn your blue LEDs off and just go with white. Another trick people have done is to hold a flashlight on the fish and then take a picture - that can help wash out some of the blue.

Jay

OP
OP
lynka

lynka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my husband turn off all the lights and have only the whites on in the brighter pictures. I will try again later.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In seeing these new pictures, I have to wonder if this is flukes. Some of the things line up: the blue tang eating the day before it died, lack of rapid breathing in the fish, plus the skin discoloration.

If you could catch the fish, giving it a 5 minute freshwater dip would cause the flukes to fall off. It won't cure the fish, but you'll see the flukes and that helps with diagnosis.

If you can't catch the fish (I think you said that was the case). You could still try dosing the tank with Prazipro. It is pretty safe for use with fish and invertebrates - as long as you increase the aeration in the tank. You would need to dose twice, 7 to 10 days apart.

I'm not 100% certain this is flukes, but it is something to consider.

Jay

OP
OP
lynka

lynka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So now I’m pretty distraught. I have lost all of the fish I have had in my nano tank. My scopas and clown that I had for 3 years and my hippo tang who was with us for 6 months. I solely blame my husband who needed to put 2 new scopas tangs into the newly set up 250 gal (by new, I mean 6 months). And decided that it was time, after 2 weeks, to introduce my babies into the 250. I noticed after they were added the new tangs came out. They both had what looked like ich. My husband said it was too difficult to get my old fish out and did not remove them. Today was the last old fishes day. my clown died next to her bed (a colt). i went out and bought a 36 gal tank to be the QT from now on. Now for the question, how long do I need to keep nothing in the tank if the culprit was velvet, flukes, etc? Oh, those 2 stupid new tangs are still alive -for now. But I believe they are also goners. I do have corals in the tank. Thank you very much for your help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So now I’m pretty distraught. I have lost all of the fish I have had in my nano tank. My scopas and clown that I had for 3 years and my hippo tang who was with us for 6 months. I solely blame my husband who needed to put 2 new scopas tangs into the newly set up 250 gal (by new, I mean 6 months). And decided that it was time, after 2 weeks, to introduce my babies into the 250. I noticed after they were added the new tangs came out. They both had what looked like ich. My husband said it was too difficult to get my old fish out and did not remove them. Today was the last old fishes day. my clown died next to her bed (a colt). i went out and bought a 36 gal tank to be the QT from now on. Now for the question, how long do I need to keep nothing in the tank if the culprit was velvet, flukes, etc? Oh, those 2 stupid new tangs are still alive -for now. But I believe they are also goners. I do have corals in the tank. Thank you very much for your help!
Sorry to hear. In aquariums where fish loss occurred and no treatment was done, you should leave the aquarium fishless for up to 76 days, so that any infective material dies out from lack of a host. In some cases, the time can be as short as 45 days, but I think in your case, you need to wait the full period.

You still may want to give the tangs a 5 minute FW dip, at this point, it won't hurt.

Going forward with your quarantine tank, the first page on this link holds my current quarantine protocol if you want to try it:

Jay

ReefKidDarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 new tangs were fine. Husband introduced our long standing fish into tank. tangs then appeared to have inch. It got better. Now they have spots again, and the older tang has brown patches on her. Also my hippo tang looked great yesterday, was eating like a pig, then dead this morning !! husband says we can’t get them out for treatment but I don’t want to lose her. My pictures or videos won’t post. My clown looks ok. had the scopis, hippo and clown for a while. The scopis and clown for over 2 years, the hippo for 4 months. Moved them from my nano into the newly set up 250 after having the 2 new tangs in there for 2 weeks
scopas was eating good for 2 years and its still small??? hmmmmm.. i have 6 tangs rn in my 220 gal and my blonde naso has grown from not eating, a 4 inch fish, and was skinny as hell to a 8 inch beast thats ***** fat and hangs out with my folweri tang thats the biggest in the tank ( 10 1/2 inches ). My folweri grew 2 inches since i got him. It could be the tank size that effects its growth.

Back