Brown sand

pwendlandt

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2024
Messages
38
Reaction score
5
Location
spain
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a small issue with algae.

For context: I’ve had this 20 gallon water box for almost 5 months now, everything was going perfectly and smooth and a month ago. I was talking to my LFS and with some advice I decided to change change the filter sock to filter wool which was working perfectly. I went on a trip for a few days and when I came back the whole tank was covered in brown algae. I scraped all the glass and moved the sand a bit (even tho I have multiple sand sifting creatures such as a sand shifting star fish a burrowing urchin, a cone snail and a wrasse that loves to sand surf). I changed the filter floss and it seems that at night the algae is gone but by the afternoon of the next day it’s back. Is there a way to prevent it from coming back? Or do I just have to let it be there until it’s not anymore? Maybe I have the light on too strong. Here are a few pictures for reference

IMG_6696.jpeg IMG_6695.jpeg IMG_6697.jpeg
 
I am no expert, but this looks like diatoms to me. Hopefully somebody else will come in with more knowledge. This is very typical for a fairly new tank. Get some good CUC.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new