Brown stringy algae

TimothyJ91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it's gone!!!! I did 7 days peroxide dosing and ran GFO. Very happy.
70526cb19d6addbd2faa0a4c222450be.jpg
It dosing hydrogen peroxide safe for invertebrates? Starfish, snails, and crabs?

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is dosing hydrogen Peroxide safe for invertebrates? Snails, crabs, and starfish?

I don't know about starfish but I have shrimp, crabs, and snails. They did fine. But you just gotta watch the LPS cause it will kill them. Learned the hard lesson when it killed my gold torch. That's during lights on. But when I did it during lights off LPS did better. The giant turbo snails finished the algae after that.

TimothyJ91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of a wrasse that eats cleaning crews. I got crabs. Blue leg. I got 30 snails and they cleaned it up with in 4 days. I have a 90 gallon. It’s all gone but I have a spot of hair now that I’ll remove by hand.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing red stringy algae myself. 2 yo tank Red Sea 750. 3 mp40 and one tunze on 100%. My nutrients bottomed out last week to nearly zero po4 and no3. Trying to get my nutrients back up and hopefully it will go away.

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after reading and watching vids on YT I'm pretty sure I've got dino in the 75 gallon
I haven't scoped anything but I'm gonna continue peroxide and tomorrow starting 3 day blackout and may order a 55 watt uv sterilizer I hate this stuff
I will use a turkey blaster and blast it off the rock before lights out after the 3 day blackout to get as much of it in the water column also
if you haven't yet go check out the thread by Velcro
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...-eradicated-dinoflagellates-overnight.316126/

Last edited:

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he mentions a Jabeo 55 watt pond uv sterilizer that's 70 bux but the one I saw was 90 bux so I'm waiting for a link to the one he got
there are pix of the one he got and they look the same as what I found other than the price

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked in on the tank today is day 2 of the blackout and over half of whatever I have is gone
the tank looks much better but I'm on day 5 of the peroxide
I did go ahead and ran the lights for an hour and fed fish
I threw on an aquaclear 110 and blasted the rocks and a bunch of stuff came off and hopefully the filter will catch it all
I did not see any new stuff on the rock or any bubbles on any of it either

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like the blackout so far fixed my issue
and I just got to thinking that I've been running moon lights on two tanks and both showed signs of dino
I have stopped running moon lights at all now
kinda makes sense that the blackout seems to have worked and even though moon light isn't bright it's still light and I have read that at night after main lights is when dino is in the water column and you can kill it with uv
something to consider
wonder if red tide in the ocean happens after a full or new moon

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like the blackout so far fixed my issue
and I just got to thinking that I've been running moon lights on two tanks and both showed signs of dino
I have stopped running moon lights at all now
kinda makes sense that the blackout seems to have worked and even though moon light isn't bright it's still light and I have read that at night after main lights is when dino is in the water column and you can kill it with uv
something to consider
wonder if red tide in the ocean happens after a full or new moon
I hope it stays gone for you. Several have tried blackout, and it came back. I ran moonlight on one tank, and had troubles with it as well. I do not run it now.

jfoster38122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the second day running lights and so far so good
I think I will order some microbactor 7 soon and start using that just to be safe
and am about to start loading up the tank with pods to get ready for a mandarin

Dj Emcee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2 ML per 10 gallons of water. One dose per day in a high flow area.

Im having this same issue... dosing peroxide will that kill my Chateo in my fuge? I use peroxide on rocks to kill hair algae before i had the fuge...

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having this same issue... dosing peroxide will that kill my Chateo in my fuge? I use peroxide on rocks to kill hair algae before i had the fuge...
Peroxide dosing kills hair algae. Not too sure how it affects cheato but you can always remove it before dosing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back