OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank isnt more than 50 gallons, it should be fine. Dont expect it to last long though.
My tank is only 20, so that would be fine. I’m just upset and stressed over these dinos and want them gone asap! Praying my corals will make it out okay and that I caught it on time. Thanks for the help.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try putting a small rock next to the xenia, like touching, and they will spread to the new rock. if you think the old frag is in decline and want to salvage it, i wouldn't try cutting it in its fragile state. gl with the dinos, no exp there

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostreopsis dinoflagelets. Its what i have annis a plague. Sorry man. The best i can say is get a uv sterolizer.
I have the same exact issue. Stringy brown stuff. Probably Dino’s after reading all of this. And I run a UV. Should the UV be slow flow for this?

7A78E694-75E0-4679-95A9-D3C77876C321.jpeg

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact issue. Stringy brown stuff. Probably Dino’s after reading all of this. And I run a UV. Should the UV be slow flow for this?

7A78E694-75E0-4679-95A9-D3C77876C321.jpeg
I think any would do, you just have to make sure its 1 watt per 3 gallons Got rid of my dinos within 3 days along with my blackout

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any would do, you just have to make sure its 1 watt per 3 gallons Got rid of my dinos within 3 days along with my blackout
Hello taylor,

I had a huge breakout of dinos. I read a lot. First mistake that I did is that after block out for 4 days it seemed gone.. however in 3 days they were back again. Meanwhile Increased feeding to help my bacterias however I fed too much that it led to high nutrition whereas hair algae started to grow everywhere in tank. So you must be careful.
The reasons you have dinos are usually because of 2 reasons that which are first too much white lighting cause the algae grow which dinos use as a host and second youre beneficial bacterias are loosing the battle against dinos. Dinos usually exist in every tank. So if you already increased the nutrition first decrease them. Lower your white lighting to max %20. Siphon your dinos by using filter socks back in to your tank. Do not make water changes. Everytime you make a water change, youre also loosing your beneficial bacterias. Siphone them everyday. And after siphoning clean the filter socks everytime. After siphoning i used yeast for using my bacterias 1/3 teaspoon every 3 days for 80 gallons. If you have bacterias food, you can use it. Also you can add bacteria to system.
And I assume that your tank is in Turkey? Is that right? please check my post on this link

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello taylor,

I had a huge breakout of dinos. I read a lot. First mistake that I did is that after block out for 4 days it seemed gone.. however in 3 days they were back again. Meanwhile Increased feeding to help my bacterias however I fed too much that it led to high nutrition whereas hair algae started to grow everywhere in tank. So you must be careful.
The reasons you have dinos are usually because of 2 reasons that which are first too much white lighting cause the algae grow which dinos use as a host and second youre beneficial bacterias are loosing the battle against dinos. Dinos usually exist in every tank. So if you already increased the nutrition first decrease them. Lower your white lighting to max %20. Siphon your dinos by using filter socks back in to your tank. Do not make water changes. Everytime you make a water change, youre also loosing your beneficial bacterias. Siphone them everyday. And after siphoning clean the filter socks everytime. After siphoning i used yeast for using my bacterias 1/3 teaspoon every 3 days for 80 gallons. If you have bacterias food, you can use it. Also you can add bacteria to system.
And I assume that your tank is in Turkey? Is that right? please check my post on this link
My tank has not had dinos ever since adding my UV sterilizer. No crashes or anything. Have not done a water change, but I did just start growing diatoms (i did a positive ID for them under a microscope). Hopefully this is all good news? I just run the UV sterilizer at night and change my filter sock everyday still just in case. Might stop in about another week and see if I’ve successfully beat them. Thanks for the advice!!!!

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone told me this looks like Chaeto- when actually dead Chaeto actually did go into my DT. Does that happen?
I have 0 clue as I do not run a refugium. Maybe somebody else can confirm? The best way to tell if it’s dinos is to take a sample and put it under a microscope (even a kids cheap $20 one will do).

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has not had dinos ever since adding my UV sterilizer. No crashes or anything. Have not done a water change, but I did just start growing diatoms (i did a positive ID for them under a microscope). Hopefully this is all good news? I just run the UV sterilizer at night and change my filter sock everyday still just in case. Might stop in about another week and see if I’ve successfully beat them. Thanks for the advice!!!!
Uv helps to kill bacterias as dinos also type of bacteria. I suggest you to add beneficial bacterias to your tank.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv helps to kill bacterias as dinos also type of bacteria. I suggest you to add beneficial bacterias to your tank.
Did add a piece of live rock to the tank about 5 days ago to have more biodiversity, so hopefully that’s good for now and ill work on getting some fritz turbostart soon!

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing microbacter7. Emptied the bottle. I just bought a different brand. Stability. Gonna try that now.Also got a sea urchin. Pin cushion. And gonna do Dr Tim’s waste away. Turned off my UV for a little to help build bacteria

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to suggest that if you increase your cleaning crew such as turbo snails and snails, they will help you to beat dinos as they eat the algae which dinos use as a host. It is simple that no host no dinos.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to suggest that if you increase your cleaning crew such as turbo snails and snails, they will help you to beat dinos as they eat the algae which dinos use as a host. It is simple that no host no dinos.
Is 8 snails too many for a 71 gal display? 3 died already. Apparently dinos are a type of phytoplankton? Snails die when theres too much plankton I hear. Not sure if thats true. And yes some species of dinos will be parasites on algae not all. I also have a pin cushion. Hes going to town. Hopefully doesn't eat my snails. lol

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 8 snails too many for a 71 gal display? 3 died already. Apparently dinos are a type of phytoplankton? Snails die when theres too much plankton I hear. Not sure if thats true. And yes some species of dinos will be parasites on algae not all. I also have a pin cushion. Hes going to town. Hopefully doesn't eat my snails. lol
Dinos contain various poisons that will kill snails. Saxotoxin (spelling?) and palytoxin. Potent nasty chemicals. It can even kill humans when we eat shelfish.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you take a picture of the microscopic view of the organism? Do I just put the camera lens on the microscope ocular?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you take a picture of the microscopic view of the organism? Do I just put the camera lens on the microscope ocular?
Thats how i did it. Its annoying though.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back