Brown stringy stuff growing over all my softies

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently I have it all on the sandbed, but I believe it creeping up on the rockwork. That’s probably why I saw it on the corals. Hopfully not too late. Thanks for all the help!

It's never too late. It's like an algae, just gotta beat it.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. It didn't work for me, so I saw it as a "wasted time method" thus I am biased LOL. But you are totally right it's a good trial and error method with 0 investment.
If it helps, The dinos only get worse during lights on. This morning before my lights even turned on, There was nothing on my corals. I’ve 100% noticed it gets worse during lights on. Tirning them off now as we speak!

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it helps, The dinos only get worse during lights on. This morning before my lights even turned on, There was nothing on my corals. I’ve 100% noticed it gets worse during lights on. Tirning them off now as we speak!

More and more sounds like Dinos. They use light for energy - lights out and they go into the water column looking for an energy source. If you are lucky, it's ostreopsis like I had. Very easy to beat, higher nutrients + UV.

I'm sorry you had overachiever Dinos. Not cool. Very frustrating.

Thanks, I was on the early days of Dino's and we didn't know how to beat them Now we do, so problem solved.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please post your progress. There are some extremely knowledgeable reefers here that have dealt with every strain.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More and more sounds like Dinos. They use light for energy - lights out and they go into the water column looking for an energy source. If you are lucky, it's ostreopsis like I had. Very easy to beat, higher nutrients + UV.

Thanks, I was on the early days of Dino's and we didn't know how to beat them Now we do, so problem solved.
Watched the BRS video on dinos and I’m planning on over feeding with a lights out. Gonna try really hard not to peak now! lol

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Watched the BRS video on dinos and I’m planning on over feeding with a lights out. Gonna try really hard not to peak now! lol

It's a lot easier and cheaper to dose the exact elements you need.
  • Nitrates: Spectracide Stump Remover from Lowes. Last time I bought it it was $5.
  • Phosphares: Aquavitro Activate is what I use, under $20 and will probably last longer than the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is Dino and do a treatment program which is easy and inexpensive:

Starting tonight and for the next 5 Full days. . . . Turn lights off. If you have corals, you can run BLUES only at 5-10%. Today and each day, blow the Dino loose with a turkey baster and net or siphon each day. Clean filters daily also.
During the day add 1m/l per 10 gallons of liquid bacteria.
During the night , add 1 m/l per 10 gallons of hydrogen Peroxide.
Feed fish as normal, BUT . . . DO NOT FOOD TO CORALS OR ADD NoPox TO THE TANK AS IT IS FOOD FOR THE dINO.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Dino and do a treatment program which is easy and inexpensive:

Starting tonight and for the next 5 Full days. . . . Turn lights off. If you have corals, you can run BLUES only at 5-10%. Today and each day, blow the Dino loose with a turkey baster and net or siphon each day. Clean filters daily also.
During the day add 1m/l per 10 gallons of liquid bacteria.
During the night , add 1 m/l per 10 gallons of hydrogen Peroxide.
Feed fish as normal, BUT . . . DO NOT FOOD TO CORALS OR ADD NoPox TO THE TANK AS IT IS FOOD FOR THE dINO.
This was extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to make a build thread of what I will be doing and what my progress is like getting rid of dino to help others! Hopefully they can also get to see this thread, but felt like i should make it more official and hopefully let other know what worked/didnt work for me since i know theres a lot of conflicting info out there on getting rid of dinos! I’ll attach a link to the thread in this one just in case someone comes along and needs help and wants to see my progress! Thanks again for all the help guys!!!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostreopsis dinoflagelets. Its what i have annis a plague. Sorry man. The best i can say is get a uv sterolizer.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait lol it goes in the tank? Sorry I’m still super new at this.
No it needs to be plumbed. Some are hang on the back. Raising no3 and po4 so they aren't undetected also helps but grows hair algae a lot. Clean up crew will help with that later.

OP
OP
taylorn13

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it needs to be plumbed. Some are hang on the back. Raising no3 and po4 so they aren't undetected also helps but grows hair algae a lot. Clean up crew will help with that later.
Green Killing Machine looks like it could go in the tank, would any UV sterilizer work?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Killing Machine looks like it could go in the tank, would any UV sterilizer work?
If your tank isnt more than 50 gallons, it should be fine. Dont expect it to last long though.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back