BRS float valve metal pin corroding

dan55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am using the BRS float valve directly in my sump. There is a metal pin that is stainless steel, but showing some corrosion after 1 month. Anybody replaced this pin with plastic or other non-metallic material? Or have any ideas for a good substitute pin? It is slightly less that 1/16" diameter or about 1.5 mm in diameter. It probably doesnt have to have the same shape as long as there is a mechanism added to the ends to prevent the pin from falling out. BRS shows a cotter pin style shape in the 2nd photo.

20230717_125136.jpg Capture.PNG

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, stainless can be magnetic. High strength grades in the 400 series and "precipitant hardening" grades like 15-5, 17-4 and 18-8 are all magnetic.

Personally, I would not be to concerned with the level of corrosion your picture is showing, but like you say, its only been a month.

You might be able to find some 1.5mm acrylic rod and heat bend it into an appropriate shape. I would be cautious going with a soft plastic like ABS/styrene, there is some shear load on the pin when the valve is closed.

OP
OP
dan55

dan55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1/16" diameter acrylic rod that I shaped with a heat gun worked as a good replacement for the metal pin that started to corrode

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back