BRS float valve metal pin corroding

  • Thread starter Thread starter dan55
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dan55

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2020
Messages
64
Reaction score
20
Location
Charleston
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am using the BRS float valve directly in my sump. There is a metal pin that is stainless steel, but showing some corrosion after 1 month. Anybody replaced this pin with plastic or other non-metallic material? Or have any ideas for a good substitute pin? It is slightly less that 1/16" diameter or about 1.5 mm in diameter. It probably doesnt have to have the same shape as long as there is a mechanism added to the ends to prevent the pin from falling out. BRS shows a cotter pin style shape in the 2nd photo.

20230717_125136.jpg Capture.PNG
 
FYI, stainless can be magnetic. High strength grades in the 400 series and "precipitant hardening" grades like 15-5, 17-4 and 18-8 are all magnetic.

Personally, I would not be to concerned with the level of corrosion your picture is showing, but like you say, its only been a month.

You might be able to find some 1.5mm acrylic rod and heat bend it into an appropriate shape. I would be cautious going with a soft plastic like ABS/styrene, there is some shear load on the pin when the valve is closed.
 
1/16" diameter acrylic rod that I shaped with a heat gun worked as a good replacement for the metal pin that started to corrode
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new