BRS is out of RO/DI and I need one so what do I get?

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I also have a 7yr old typoon 3 from awi. It's been great! My only complaint is that I didn't realized the di section isn't refillable. So eventually I had to buy a separate di canister.
I have the compact reefkeper 5 stage unit. I changed my membrane from 75gpd to 100 and love it. I got this one because it has a drinking water option on it. The replacement cartridge on the DI is now replaceable. At least it was a year ago when I bought one from them. I just refilled it this week actually. You should ask them if they make one for yours too.

IMG_20200403_220328(1).jpg

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found this all very helpful. Thank you!
When researching the subject, I found that a new rodi question pops up every few days, however every recent one I read points to the BRS which appears to be a fine system. I'm glad this has helped you too and many people in the future until the next one pops up on Monday. Lol

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the compact reefkeper 5 stage unit. I changed my membrane from 75gpd to 100 and love it. I got this one because it has a drinking water option on it. The replacement cartridge on the DI is now replaceable. At least it was a year ago when I bought one from them. I just refilled it this week actually. You should ask them if they make one for yours too.

Interesting, mine did not open so it couldn't be refilled. But the di didn't look like yours. Seems they've gotten a bit better

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The DI is refillable color changing resin. Indont believe there is a filter. With drinking water, which is an option I may explore, I think you just come out before the DI stage so is it just a tee and a valve after the RO stage? Hopefully so because this would be easy to add to any system.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI is refillable color changing resin. Indont believe there is a filter. With drinking water, which is an option I may explore, I think you just come out before the DI stage so is it just a tee and a valve after the RO stage? Hopefully so because this would be easy to add to any system.
yes exactly, it splits off, you turn off the di valve and open the drinking water vale. it should be pretty easy to do. I didn't know about them when I got it lol so I let them figure it out for me

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a refillable DI cartridge available for the extreme typhoon III. I upgraded mine to that. I don't know if it comes standard now though.

I also had mine configured with the drinking water option and a drinking water storage tank when I purchased it.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a cheap 6 stage rodi system off Amazon. Set up fast and easy, 75gpd.
My water goes from 290tds to 0. 25tds when I max out its flow rate.

Worth it considering the rodi water I was buying from a local store was 150tds...

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a cheap 6 stage rodi system off Amazon. Set up fast and easy, 75gpd.
My water goes from 290tds to 0. 25tds when I max out its flow rate.

Worth it considering the rodi water I was buying from a local store was 150tds...
What TDS meter are you using that gives a result of 0.25? All the ones I have seen only go to the single digit, no decimals.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get your unit? I'm curious what you think lol

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How does this model compare to the one sold by Bulk Reef Supply? They are out of stock right now and I am trying to decide what to get.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this model compare to the one sold by Bulk Reef Supply? They are out of stock right now and I am trying to decide what to get.
I never owned the BRS one. I do use their media for mine though. I'm guessing the results are similar. My unit is nice, it's high quality. The only issue I run into with mine is the gaskets from the media get stuck in the cannisters. I have man hands so I cannot get them out lol. I just remove the gasket off the new one and the one stuck is good enough. That's an issue with media, not the unit. I'm pretty sure those canisters are all the same inside

OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you get your unit? I'm curious what you think lol

I ended up getting the airwaterice one. This dude is a 1 man band I think and it's his bread and butter... and pays for his meat and potatoes! I'd rather support the small guy in times like these. I think the build quality will be better. All of the canisters fit in line on the rack which is only a big deal to people that want a clean look. Ya'll know anyone like that? His customer support was second to none. I feel I got a great deal. I went with the typhoon extreme 3 150gpd with the 3.5g drinking water addon for like 350 shipped. He threw in all the extra tube I need to get this thing to my kitchen sink. I may need to get a permeate pump if the run is too long. I tried Buckeye Hydro but I still havent got a reply from them the day I opened this thread! BRS did get all their RODIs in but I already had my mind made up that I was going AWI when they did. It arrives tomorrow. I built my salt mixing station yesterday. I'm not going to plumb to the kitchen sink just yet as I am going to leave the drinking water kit in my sump room with the amount of tube I'll need to see how it does. I want to be sure it will be worth the huge amount of trouble. The install will be going through a floor, 2 walls, and a set of cabinets. If these things just trickle water I'll leave it down there to fill 5gal jugs and use a water dispenser in the kitchen. I might be surpise though and this thing will work as I hope. It's going to be used to fill dog water, people water, and the portable ice maker. Not too much demand, but I ain't waiting 5min to fill a 1/2gal dog dish.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 stage RODI from Liquagen. They can be found on Amazon.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mikeltee

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got my AIW installed. It's absolutely perfect however I would skip the drinking water addon. Water barely trickles out of it. It would take a minute to fill a glass. I'm glad I didnt run it to my kitchen sink.

20200427_152226.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, too, try and support AirWaterIce. Good folks, good quality, excellent service, reasonable prices. I bought my first RO/DI from them back in the 90's. I'll likely keep buying from them as long as they keep selling.

Its a pressure tank. I've never used one so I dont know what maintenance and flow is like. I think you tune it with an air compressor. I'll let you guys know if it's worth the hassle.

No compressor required :) Pressure tanks come pre-pressurized. They need no maintenance, though they do eventually wear out and need to be replaced. If you live on a well, you should be familiar with them. My well system has a 20g pressure tank on it, kept full and pressurized by the well pump. That pressure tank is over a decade old, and still works just fine.

My RO filter feeds a 5g pressure tank under the sink, just as shown. It's feeding a drinking water faucet, and two refrigerators for ice and water in the door. Been using it that way for several years now, no troubles at all. Excellent drinking water, and nice clear ice. We do have a booster pump and a permeate pump to boost outgoing pressure... most refrigerators want 60psi these days. The permeate pump keeps the little pressure tank at whatever I set the booster pump to. Flow is good, we can refill my Keurig or a spaghetti pot, no problem.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, too, try and support AirWaterIce. Good folks, good quality, excellent service, reasonable prices. I bought my first RO/DI from them back in the 90's. I'll likely keep buying from them as long as they keep selling.

No compressor required :) Pressure tanks come pre-pressurized. They need no maintenance, though they do eventually wear out and need to be replaced. If you live on a well, you should be familiar with them. My well system has a 20g pressure tank on it, kept full and pressurized by the well pump. That pressure tank is over a decade old, and still works just fine.

My RO filter feeds a 5g pressure tank under the sink, just as shown. It's feeding a drinking water faucet, and two refrigerators for ice and water in the door. Been using it that way for several years now, no troubles at all. Excellent drinking water, and nice clear ice. We do have a booster pump and a permeate pump to boost outgoing pressure... most refrigerators want 60psi these days. The permeate pump keeps the little pressure tank at whatever I set the booster pump to. Flow is good, we can refill my Keurig or a spaghetti pot, no problem.
I just purchased my very first RODI unit from AirWater&Ice. It’s solid!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back