BRS/MD - Silver Linings?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There have been plenty of threads today discussing the potential problems with the BRS/Marine Depot deal that was announced today (I'm not dismissing the validity of any of these opinions). I am curious though what could be the positives that could come out of this agreement? Do you see any upsides? Silver linings? How could this help you, the hobby, or the industry?

splat rugrats GIF

Thanks in advance for keeping this thread positive as you brainstorm and share any bits of good that could come out of this. :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been plenty of threads today discussing the potential problems with the BRS/Marine Depot deal that was announced today (I'm not dismissing the validity of any of these opinions). I am curious though what could be the positives that could come out of this agreement? Do you see any upsides? Silver linings? How could this help you, the hobby, or the industry?

splat rugrats GIF

Thanks in advance for keeping this thread positive as you brainstorm and share any bits of good that could come out of this. :)
A one stop shop with prices that are still fair. There were things MD carried that BRS didn’t. This could make it all possible in a single order.

BRS shipped from MN and MD shipped from a few warehouses. Being in the southeast, I could order stuff from both and MD was here quicker. If they kept the MD warehouses on the east coast and the west coast, lots of happy customers with less shipping times and costs. Especially for fellow reefers out in CA.

This is all dependent on BRS keeping those things in place that were available from MD.

Being someone that spends a great deal of money with both, I am hoping for a bright side to all of this. We shall see on that though, but going to stay positive about this for now.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best benefit for us could possibly be lower costs. Suppliers who deal in more inventory can get cheaper rates. Hopefully it translates to us.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all in favor of competition and supporting the smaller brands. But I think there could be some good in having such a large brand in this hobby. If BRS is able to continue to grow, we could see them turn into the change that we want to see in this hobby (them starting to produce the things they/we point out are lacking).

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bertram Cap. brought a lot of money to the table when they backed BRS a few months ago.
Pretty large private equity fund. I have to imagine that news being Feb. of this year, somehow correlates.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree about the extra warehouses from MD, if they retain those it will make shipping even better (matters what assets they sell off though). Im more worried about the investor betram capital, or if they just bought the whole company
the whole video content change seems to have happened before bertram invested though

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wider range of goods means an even greater one stop option.

More customers = more profits = more giveaways hopefully.

With no extra room in the MN warehouse, unless BRS discontinues a bunch of stuff, I'd wager they are keeping one or more of MD's warehouses. Faster shipping to the coasts if so.

Maybe greater leverage against vendors to force sales or better pricing?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

splat rugrats GIF

Everyone is discounting (wordplay) the fact that this stuff is all price locked. It rarely goes on sale and when it does, it’s the same sale everywhere. This doesn’t change a lot for major items we want to purchase since a Radion is $849 everywhere on planet earth (except my LFS where it is $950).

I like BulkReef supply for the points. I just got around $300 in points for buying new lights but honestly I think Marinedepot had the same deal.

I wish they were keeping the MD warehouse because they tend to charge me far less for shipping and get me things much quicker. That’s probably the only downside I see here.

I highly doubt it but maybe BRS will have enough leverage to force major manufacturers to offer more sales and cheaper prices now that they control more of the market.

Also, when they buy liveaquaria, I can order lights and skimmers and a gem tang together!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully, as stated, they will start carrying products that MD did, but BRS didn't. Other than that, I am not sure you will even notice that much of a difference. BRS was almost 4 times the size of MD.....the acquisition isn't going to change things that much. You can't even really use the price gouging/monopoly as an argument since there are still hundreds of different options to purchase equipment and supplies other than BRS....Amazon being a big one.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%

Back