BRS Soda Ash = Cloudy Tank ?

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the BRS Soda Ash for Alkalinity, bought the 1 Gallon Premix and combined with 1 Gallon of RODI Water. I made sure the contents were dissolved by shaking and heat bath. I dose my tank manually 30ml of Alk each morning, it goes it normal just like any Alk product but then my tank turns cloudy and hazy with particles in the water column. I never had this issue with ESV 2 Part, not sure on what to do?

Ca 420-440
Alk 8
Salinity 1.026
Mg 1250-1300

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal to see some temporary precipitation of magnesium hydroxide with any high pH two part additive (using carbonate or hydroxide) but not lower pH versions that use bicarbonate.

It should redissolve fairly quickly as it disperses into the water. If not, you need to add it more slowly or to a higher flow area.

I'm not sure which ESV B-ionic version you are comparing to, but the original does have a preciptiate when added. The bicarbonate version will not.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

Figure 3. The transient cloud of magnesium hydroxide that forms when high pH additives are added. In this case, the alkalinity portion of B-ionic was added to a fairly still portion of one of my reef aquaria.

Figure_3sm.jpg

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal to see some temporary precipitation of magnesium hydroxide with any high pH two part additive (using carbonate or hydroxide) but not lower pH versions that use bicarbonate.

It should redissolve fairly quickly as it disperses into the water. If not, you need to add it more slowly or to a higher flow area.

I'm not sure which ESV B-ionic version you are comparing to, but the original does have a preciptiate when added. The bicarbonate version will not.

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

Figure 3. The transient cloud of magnesium hydroxide that forms when high pH additives are added. In this case, the alkalinity portion of B-ionic was added to a fairly still portion of one of my reef aquaria.

Figure_3sm.jpg

I haven’t tested the pH on my system. Should I stick it out with the soda ash or use the BRS Sodium Bicarbonate premix? Before I was using the original ESV 2-Part and didn’t really notice any cloudy issues. I know all Alk solutions go in cloudy when first going in but never thought my tank would remain cloudy. My system has good flow as well. I like the BRS stuff because of the price point. Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much (in dKH) did you add at once?

Most people benefit from a higher pH and I'd stick with the sodium carbonate in most cases.

But if the tank is remaining cloudy for many minutes, something is wrong, and you are going on to precipitate calcium carbonate. Try adding more slowly, diluting if necessary, adding less each time, and to a higher flow area.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much (in dKH) did you add at once?

Most people benefit from a higher pH and I'd stick with the sodium carbonate in most cases.

But if the tank is remaining cloudy for many minutes, something is wrong, and you are going on to precipitate calcium carbonate. Try adding more slowly, diluting if necessary, adding less each time, and to a higher flow area.

I’m adding 30ml in the morning time

So which on raises the pH: Soda Ash or Sodium Bicarbonate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m adding 30ml in the morning time

So which on raises the pH: Soda Ash or Sodium Bicarbonate?

Soda ash is a common name for sodium carbonate. It raises pH when added to seawater.

30 mL doesn't tell me the alkalinity added (dKH), since it depends on tank size. What volume aquarium?

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose BRS soda ash. I have my pump add small increments throughout the day. It just so happens I have decided to run at a higher dkh. Last night I manually added 50ml. I poured it slowly by the pump intake in the sump. You could see the cloudy going in the pump but was clear coming out the discharge in the tank.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the tank has 55 total gallons, 30 ml of BRS soda ash will increase your alkalinity by about 0.8 dKh.

You say you need 30 mL of alkalinity additive. Do you mean you used to add 30 mL daily when you used ESV? If so, are you sure the BRS additives and ESV have the exact same strength?

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the tank has 55 total gallons, 30 ml of BRS soda ash will increase your alkalinity by about 0.8 dKh.

You say you need 30 mL of alkalinity additive. Do you mean you used to add 30 mL daily when you used ESV? If so, are you sure the BRS additives and ESV have the exact same strength?

Yes I used 30ml with ESV and never had that issue, not sure if there both the same strength. I dose manually in the AM and Calcium in PM

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I used 30ml with ESV and never had that issue, not sure if there both the same strength. I dose manually in the AM and Calcium in PM

My DIY (e.g., BRS) is designed to be less potent than ESV.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I was always told to dose Ca first. You are also waiting such a long time in between doses. If 30 ml/ 2- part/ day. Dose 15 ml Ca in AM. Wait 15 mins. Dose 15 ml Soda Ash solution.
Be sure to pour dosing solutions directly into the flow of the powerheads. Tilt powerhead toward surface. This will ensure quick mixing with tank water. When pouring Soda Ash, watch the flow, it’s white, and easy to see. POUR all solutions slowly!!!!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I was always told to dose Ca first. !

He is dosing calcium first, just the night before. :D

Seriously, the order makes no difference. You just do not want to dose so close together in time that the concentrated clouds of additives mix together before being dispersed. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back