BRS titanium heaters

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone notice when these are on the voltage is 120? I tried three brand new heaters when looking into why I have a stray voltage and even right out of the package it takes the voltage up to 119.2. Does this seem normal? It’s not like I get shocked if I put my hand in the tank.

A573E585-2E3E-42CF-B442-252322D045CC.jpeg

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got shocked few years ago by a 300W titanium heater (not the BRS one) when putted my right hand in the water. For bad coincidence my bald head touched the same time grounded aluminum body of my ATI Powermodule making short circuit :frowning-face:. The shock was quite strong and fortunately knocked me out far from the tank. Thanks God there were no major long term injuries but the entry / exit points of the electricity on my hand and head were there for quite some time. They said it was not the heater itself but the controller caused this??? I don't know if this was possible or the real reason but honestly don't care.
From this day no metal or high conductivity objects are allowed in my tanks doesn't matter how "safe" they are. Only heaters I'm using now are thick glass Jager - one of them is I think like 25 years old and still works perfectly and recently - plastic Aquael Ultra in my nanos.

Dont want to start discussion here about titanium heaters, I am sure hundreds of people are using them long time with no issues just sharing my bad experience and decision.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got shocked few years ago by a 300W titanium heater (not the BRS one) when putted my right hand in the water. For bad coincidence my bald head touched the same time grounded aluminum body of my ATI Powermodule making short circuit :frowning-face:. The shock was quite strong and fortunately knocked me out far from the tank. Thanks God there were no major long term injuries but the entry / exit points of the electricity on my hand and head were there for quite some time. They said it was not the heater itself but the controller caused this??? I don't know if this was possible or the real reason but honestly don't care.
From this day no metal or high conductivity objects are allowed in my tanks doesn't matter how "safe" they are. Only heaters I'm using now are thick glass Jager - one of them is I think like 25 years old and still works perfectly and recently - plastic Aquael Ultra in my nanos.

Dont want to start discussion here about titanium heaters, I am sure hundreds of people are using them long time with no issues just sharing my bad experience and decision.
I tried different outlets and different heaters and they all do the same thing.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Curious to know if you had a grounding probe in your tank at the time you got shocked?

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you put 120 in and get 120 out to heater. So I’m not sure why you think there’s something wrong ?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GFCIs on ALL of the equipment would have prevented that.

Also, the heater could have been the ground path and the fixture the current source.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Wolters_88 so you’re picking up 120V when you measure AC voltage when your BRS heater is on?

Im assuming one probe is in the tank and the other probe is connected to ground?

I’d call BRS about this. If others have had similar issues then BRS has a bigger problem if they know their heaters are faulty.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sebastiancrab the BRS heaters are three prong so presumably grounded. Thoughts on what is going on with @Wolters_88 situation?
I'm not an electrician but if it is malfunctioning in the tank water, it would seem that a current would happen. I had an Finnex controller that has a 3 prong plug and it had a faulty temp sensor wire. It was the cause of the shock I got. My grounding probe had fallen out of the tank. Finnex replaced the sensor twice. I now have Inkbird controllers.

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an electrician but if it is malfunctioning in the tank water, it would seem that a current would happen. I had an Inkbird controller that has a 3 prong plug and it had a faulty temp sensor wire. It was the cause of the shock I got. My grounding probe had fallen out of the tank.
Thanks. I’m just trying to get a handle on how this happens etc.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time believing there is 120v in the water. I would think that would pretty much be a dead short but I'm a 12v guy :thinking-face: . Can we see an image showing where your probes are being placed with the dvom in the same pic?

I've measure 50v in the water from a faulty powerhead and it was stimulating if your into that.

OP
OP
Wolters_88

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time believing there is 120v in the water. I would think that would pretty much be a dead short but I'm a 12v guy :thinking-face: . Can we see an image showing where your probes are being placed with the dvom in the same pic?

I've measure 50v in the water from a faulty powerhead and it was stimulating if your into that.
That’s the thing. It’s not shocking me at all. I used a YouTube video to test it. The heater is plugged into an Inkbird. I tried two different outlets as well and got the same thing. I also tried three different heater. Two were brand new from BRS and I had to open the boxes to try them.

This is all due to me adding ozone and the ORP not increasing. Everyone said a voltage issue could be why so I was checking and this came up.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back