BRS/Tropic Marin Hybrid Balling Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about Tropic Marin Component C in this hybrid method: Does Component C need to be dosed from a separate dosing container by itself or can Component C be added to one of the containers of either BRS Two Parts: Part 1 or Part 2?

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the Tropic Marin trace K+ Elements and A- Elements with the BRS/Tropic Marin Balling Method? Does these need to be in their own dosing containers or could they be put in with BRS part 1, BRS part 2, or Tropic Marin Component C?

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the Tropic Marin trace K+ Elements and A- Elements with the BRS/Tropic Marin Balling Method? Does these need to be in their own dosing containers or could they be put in with BRS part 1, BRS part 2, or Tropic Marin Component C?
K and A can be added to BRS part 1 and 2. The video says which one specifically. C needs to be dosed separately. Anyone know if Part C can be dosed weekly? I dont have room in my sump for another doser....

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K and A can be added to BRS part 1 and 2. The video says which one specifically. C needs to be dosed separately. Anyone know if Part C can be dosed weekly? I dont have room in my sump for another doser....

You can certainly dose the Part C by hand weekly if that works better for you. It won't be quite as stable as using it on a doser, but still much better than not using it at all.

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply

I am doing 120ml of part A and 120ml of part B from BRS two part. Can I start dose tropic marin part C at the same level right away, or start with half? which is the recommend ml to start part C. My tank is 150gal DT. Thx

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply

I am doing 120ml of part A and 120ml of part B from BRS two part. Can I start dose tropic marin part C at the same level right away, or start with half? which is the recommend ml to start part C. My tank is 150gal DT. Thx
According to their video you need to dose Part C (4 scoops per gallon concentration) 2x what you dose Part A so 240 ml. Seems like alot to me, when I start Ill probably just do a quarter of that and see how it goes.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will you determine how it is going?

An occasional ICP test is going to be your best bet. You shouldn't have to do it very often. Maybe once at the 6 month mark, then again at the 1 year mark. From there, you should have a pretty good idea if you're adding too much or too little.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An occasional ICP test is going to be your best bet. You shouldn't have to do it very often. Maybe once at the 6 month mark, then again at the 1 year mark. From there, you should have a pretty good idea if you're adding too much or too little.
What specifically on the ICP test are we looking at to determine appropriate part C?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What specifically on the ICP test are we looking at to determine appropriate part C?

You'd be more looking at ICP to determine if you need to dose more/less of the K+ or A- trace elements. The Part C is directly tied to your BRS 2 part alkalinity dose amount, so you shouldn't need ICP testing for that part. Once you get an ICP test back, you're mainly looking for any trace elements that are high or low. This will help you determine if you're dosing too much or too little K+ or A- and allow you to make adjustments as necessary.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered my tropic marin trace elements and Part C. Overall, my SPS is growing pretty well but some of my tenuis are really slow, colors aren't great and minimal polyp extension. Will start with a low dose and see how it goes....

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply, I watched the recent video on the hybrid method, I understand adding parts A and K to the BRS 2-part. My questions is when do you start with Part C. Ryan explained it as dosing roughly double the Alk 2-part dose. On a new tank you will not be dosing, so what are you using to calculate how much you dose, and do you start using part C from the get go? Are you just taking a Alk test over a given period, taking that and using the BRS calculator and then doubling it?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulk Reef Supply, I watched the recent video on the hybrid method, I understand adding parts A and K to the BRS 2-part. My questions is when do you start with Part C. Ryan explained it as dosing roughly double the Alk 2-part dose. On a new tank you will not be dosing, so what are you using to calculate how much you dose, and do you start using part C from the get go? Are you just taking a Alk test over a given period, taking that and using the BRS calculator and then doubling it?

You'll want to dose Part C as soon as you start dosing the BRS alkalinity and calcium parts. This is because Part C helps keep the water balanced with the extra sodium chloride that results from Sodium Carbonate and Calcium Chloride dosing. Whatever your alkalinity dose is, your Part C dose is double that.

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to dose Part C as soon as you start dosing the BRS alkalinity and calcium parts. This is because Part C helps keep the water balanced with the extra sodium chloride that results from Sodium Carbonate and Calcium Chloride dosing. Whatever your alkalinity dose is, your Part C dose is double that.
I just started dosing the BRS hybrid balling method. From the ALK/Calc consumption I measured in my tank, I calculated from the BRS dosing calculator that I should be dosing 19ml/day of Alk (Soda Ash) and 17ml/day of Calcium Chloride.

First question, for the part C, should I be doubling the Alk or Calc amount to dose Part C?

And second question, does it matter that the Alk and Calc doses are not the same amount? Will this cause any chemistry imbalances? I know other 2 part systems require the same amount of Alk and Calc to be dosed. Should I be aiming to dose the same amount of Alk and Calc?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started dosing the BRS hybrid balling method. From the ALK/Calc consumption I measured in my tank, I calculated from the BRS dosing calculator that I should be dosing 19ml/day of Alk (Soda Ash) and 17ml/day of Calcium Chloride.

First question, for the part C, should I be doubling the Alk or Calc amount to dose Part C?

And second question, does it matter that the Alk and Calc doses are not the same amount? Will this cause any chemistry imbalances? I know other 2 part systems require the same amount of Alk and Calc to be dosed. Should I be aiming to dose the same amount of Alk and Calc?
I would like to know this as well because I does twice as much alkalinity as I do calcium and I’m about to turn my calcium off for at least a few days because I’m at 4:75 and climbing

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The BRS two part mixing instructions are designed with a 1:1 dosing ratio in mind. Given that it takes a figurative ton of calcium to make a large impact on your calcium numbers, I bet you'd see no measurable difference if you were to dose 19 ml of both calcium and alkalinity to your tank. Well within the margin of error on our hobby grade test kits. For example, if you have a 100 gallon water volume, 2 ml of BRS calcium will raise the tank's calcium levels by 0.1 ppm. By dosing the same amount of calcium and alkalinity, you're going to be keeping your tank better balanced from a water chemistry standpoint.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their video you need to dose Part C (4 scoops per gallon concentration) 2x what you dose Part A so 240 ml. Seems like alot to me, when I start Ill probably just do a quarter of that and see how it goes.
2x... only IF you're using Soda Ash for Alk.. but not if using Bicarbonate.

guntercb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the BRS Balling method the salinity in our tanks should increase as we continue dosing all parts. Does anyone know the ratio of tank water to remove per the Tropic Marin Part C to keep salinity constant?

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to bring this back up but im trying to calculate how much water to remove to maintain my salinity. is it just the case of removing the part c ml added each day from the tank volume?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back