Bryopsis Cure: My Battle With Bryopsis Using Fluconazole

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by NCreefguy, Jan 19, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

45.7%
  2. No

6.0%
  3. I'm treating my tank with it now.

33.0%
  4. I love Bryopsis and I'm mad that everyone is killing it.

15.3%
  1. FarmerTy

FarmerTy Well-Known Member

That's a great idea. I'm about to be on my 3rd treatment. Roughly 3-4 months later, I started seeing it regrow again the other 2 times.

mcarroll likes this.

2. NCreefguy

NCreefguy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

You are treating your tank for gha algae correct? GHA will/can come back except for when Fluconazole is used long term(more on that later). Bryopsis won't come back unless you didn't kill all of it the first go around or you reintroduce it into your system. I noticed you added a bunch of frags. Your tank looks great by the way.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  3. NCreefguy

I'm going to update the thread with recent pics in a day or so to show what the area looks like in my tank that had bryopsis back nine months ago.

4. gfox

gfox Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

NCreefguy likes this.
  5. FarmerTy

Thank you! It was for bryopsis unfortunately. Its on its second comeback. I treated at the dosage recommended. I might follow up this next treatment with another a month afterwards. All visible evidence of bryopsis was gone but it still came back for me at least. I hope I'm a anomaly and that it doesn't come back for everyone else.

NCreefguy likes this.
  6. NCreefguy

Yeah I hope it kills all of it for you this time.(of course you have to watch bringing in new frags) You may need to let the treatment go longer to make sure that it's all gone.(maybe 4-6 weeks instead of 3) I've got several different systems set up in our shop and I've got some experiments going with long term usage and I'm not seeing any negative results from letting the treatment go on for months. There are a few others trying this as well and seeing the same results. As with anything in our hobby though,not every tank is the same and I would keep an eye on everything and check your nutrient levels regularly if you don't already.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    stevo01 and FarmerTy like this.
  7. Jd250

Jd250 Member

Hey reef 2 reef guys and girls first post on here ! After reading this thread a month ago I used the treatment and I had 100% success with no coral or fish loss .
    My tank is 99% sps and I've never had it looking so good so many thanks for the help

8. NCreefguy

Hello and welcome to R2R! I'm glad the treatment worked for you. My main tank is mostly sps as well. Post some pics of your tank if you would like. Got any before and after pics?

9. FarmerTy

Thanks! I'll give it a run for a hair longer but I'm always afraid to depart from my set maintenance routine for too long. It sprouted in the same spots as where it died prior so I feel pretty confident it just grew back instead of being reintroduced through another source.

I'm curious about your results so I'll stay tuned for some updates.

NCreefguy likes this.
  10. NCreefguy

Yeah stick to what you are comfortable with. Just wanted you to know that you can run it longer if you need to.

I posted an updated pic in the first post to show the same area now after 8 months. We are putting together some things about long term usage but we want to wait until it's been at least a year to make any real posts about it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    FarmerTy likes this.
  11. FarmerTy

Pretty sound logic there for waiting for the 1-year report. I appreciate you letting me know that I can run it longer! I appreciate you sharing!

NCreefguy likes this.
  12. NCreefguy

You're welcome. :)

FarmerTy likes this.
  13. stevo01

stevo01 R33F!N @DD!CT R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

1D35FF5D-16CF-4CDB-A510-75FF80D92339.jpeg

14. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

@mcarroll This is a great idea for a new thread. The intent of the OP for this thread (per my understanding) is that it is a place to help people with the process of treating their tanks with fluconazole. Any changes to the thread's poll in this thread would be something that the OP would need to request.

I can confirm that my tank only required 1 dose. I've been both GHA and bryopsis free now for a while thanks to fluconazole.

15. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

btw, I should also note that I am one who had originally voted in the poll as "still treating" bc I had just started treatment. I had success with the treatment, but then I forgot to come back and update my results to "Yes" (I just now made the update). My guess would be that a fair number of people who voted "still treating" are people who came to this thread for answers and voted back then. However, they got their answers and the treatment was successful, so they forgot (as many of us do) to come back and update their vote in the poll.

Not saying that's everyone's story, but I'd bet it's a fair percentage.

eatbreakfast, stevo01 and NCreefguy like this.
  16. NCreefguy

This is the same thing that @stevo01 and myself have both said. We feel like a lot of people have just not come back and updated their results after treatment. There have been numerous people pming me saying they had success with the treatment but didn't vote on the poll. Voting isn't required,it was just something added to let others see that they were not alone in using the treatment. There is no question that the treatment works. It may not work on all species of gha but that wasn't the initial intent of the thread.Yes the thread has evolved into a thread of using Fluconazole for both Bryopsis and GHA because it was an added benefit that was observed during treatment.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    stevo01 likes this.
  17. NCreefguy

We will continue helping people with their treatments of Fluconazole in this thread. I've said it before but it doesn't seem to be sinking in so I'll say it again...If you don't agree with us using meds like fluconazole in our tanks you can start your own thread stating such.

We should all practice what we preach. If you are trying to save the world from using meds in our systems,you should take a look at what you use in your everyday life that impacts our earth in a negative manner. (gasoline,cars,tires,cleaning supplies etc) Don't bring selective ethics into this thread. Save the world from yourself first before worrying about everyone else.Start your own thread.

Also added to the first post of the thread...
    If someone from this forum sends you a PM and trys to persuade you to not use this med,you should PM a mod(or pm me and I'll forward it to a mod) and let them know that you are being harassed. Many of the biggest names in the saltwater industry are now using this treament or have used it and you don't deserve to be harassed just becaused someone doesn't agree with it.

eatbreakfast and stevo01 like this.
  18. NCreefguy

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

19. NCreefguy

Also I just want to add that over time after water changes removing the fluconazole from your your system,GHA will/can return. GHA will grow in your system without having something in there to kill/eat it. Some people are getting Bryopsis and GHA mixed up and thinking that the treatment doesn't work if the GHA comes back. GHA will more than likely return at some point when the conditions are right in your system for it's growth. This is NOT the case for Bryopsis. There is no such thing as spontaneous generation of bryopsis. Having high nutrients or not having a big enough clean up crew will not cause a return of Byopsis. Just wanted to clear that up so when someone gets GHA regrowing in their tanks after several weeks or months it's not because the fluconazole didn't kill their GHA,it's because they no longer have fluconazole in their system and the conditions were right for more GHA growth. You will have to reintroduce bryopsis into your tank or not having killed all of the bryopsis cells in the first place for it to return. As I've said in an early post,we have some experiments going on some lower level long term fluconazole usage for GHA that we'll talk about soon.

MamaLovesHerReefTank and stevo01 like this.
  20. stevo01

stevo01 R33F!N @DD!CT R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

I've been working with my LFS and some individuals on FB on the subject. I always reference this specific thread for anyone looking for answers. Its not only been a way to help people but I've been able to meet interesting people too. Most recently someone living in Trinidad.

NCreefguy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted