BTA help - possibly dying due to temperature drop

jackmcdowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I picked up a BTA and placed it in the tank, it seemed super happy and found a nice spot in the middle of the tank.

However, sometime last night or this morning someone unplugged the heater and the skimmer and the temperature dropped to at least 70 degrees when I caught it and turned the heater on (and added a lock to the cabinet so that it isn't touched again).

Now the anemone initially was doing horrible, it was all stringy and part of anemone were floating in the tank.
After turning the heater back on it seems to be doing better but part of it still looks like it's distended (on the right in the pictures).

I took the rock with the anemone out and smelled it and it didn't smell off, just some "ocean" smell from the rock.
Parameters are still A: 0, Nitrite: 0 and Nitrate: 0.

Is it worth keeping the anemone in the tank and hope for the best or is it too far gone?

Thank you...

20210112_124631.jpg 20210112_131824.jpg

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you normally keep your temperature at? 70 degrees in and of itself isn't bad, but if it dropped from 78 down to 70 in a night that could cause a problem. I personally don't run any heaters or chillers on my tank and let the temp swing anywhere from 70.2 to 76 degrees. That being said there's never more than a 2 degree temp swing in a day. Also how is your lighting?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's starting to disintegrate, unfortunately it would be best to remove it. :(

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough SOB.
I accidentally Boiled mine maybe 5 to 6hrs . I put a heater in a month back set the heater at high 70's with out my glasses on. woke up next morning My BT was hanging by a thread. Look at the temp. gauge it said 89.5ish. lesson learned NEVER do anything without glasses.;Pompus:D
I cook the color right out of him, white as white. A month later and some nursing Color is returning.

As to yours give him a blanket at night. ;)
they are tough. also try to get nitrate up a little like 2-5.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackmcdowell

jackmcdowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies!

I did some more testing and the Phosphates are 0, Calcium Carbonate is 400, Kh is between 8-9 and Nitrate is still 0.

All the parameters look fine other than being a little lean, but I can't imagine it disintegrating like this over a lack of nutrients. It's in a well lit spot and seemed very happy there with the lighting.

I'll see if I can pick something up to raise the nitrate. My wife wants to pull it and put it in a bucket but I think that's sort of extreme as it seems to have "pulled itself together".

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did some more testing and the Phosphates are 0, Calcium Carbonate is 400, Kh is between 8-9 and Nitrate is still 0.

All the parameters look fine other than being a little lean, but I can't imagine it disintegrating like this over a lack of nutrients. It's in a well lit spot and seemed very happy there with the lighting.

I'll see if I can pick something up to raise the nitrate. My wife wants to pull it and put it in a bucket but I think that's sort of extreme as it seems to have "pulled itself together".
I'm not sure if they pull aminos from the water column or not or I'd say that. If it retains some zoox it should help it come back with the help of that energy.

sacutshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just make your fish poop more. to raise NO3's

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it where it is. All our animals need some phosphate to live. Nitrate is a direct food source for anemones. Neither should be zero. If your using anything to remove either reduce or stop. Give it time to recover.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back