BTA Removal Tips?

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started with 1 RBTA in my wife's 32 Biocube, now we have 6 and one GBTA. I plan to donate 2 to one of the teachers setting up classroom tanks and eventually move one to my 144. Not sure what we will do with the others at this point but we need to start thinning some out. My question is - what is the safest method/s to remove them "without" hurting them in anyway?

Her clowns have 3 favorites that they bounce back and forth to, so we will keep at least one of those in her tank.

If you have tips and/or advice please share. I have looked at other threads but haven't ran across one, if you know of one please share. :)

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pigure a way to place a piece of PVC over the nem that is larger then it is, it will climb through the pvc to get to the light.
Thank you, I might be able to remove some that way, I will give it a try! Space is pretty limited, I just adjusted flow about an hour ago so the ones down low are adjusting.

00001IMG_00001_BURST20180917190431.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way is if you can remove the rock they are attached to, hang it upside down with the nem barely touching the water. They will eventually release themselves. Patience is key as it can take some time.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way is if you can remove the rock they are attached to, hang it upside down with the nem barely touching the water. They will eventually release themselves. Patience is key as it can take some time.

+1 and exactly what I do. I have 14 clones as of now and have given 5 away within the past month and more to donate to good homes...anyway, I do exactly the same as you wrote about. :)

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried hanging upside down last night. I must have a stubborn one. After several hours of waiting I fell asleep. In the morning it was hanging into the water like a melted piece of bubble gum on a sunny day, still attached to the rock. Plopped the rock in, and nem is as happy as could be. I swear there is a smirk on its face...

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get to the foot? If so hang it upside down like already suggested. Take a butter knife and touch it to the side of the foot where it’s attached with a very slight bit of pressure. Something about that cold metal touching their foot they don’t like and will slowly start to release where the knife touches. Keep doing it until you get a good bit of the foot free and it releases faster as you go. Wash the knife when you’re done so you don’t get nem slime in your PB&J sandwich.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA s were the bane of my tank. I've used all of the methods mentioned except the PVC. One of them hung upside down for an entire day...I gave up and cut the rock around the foot with a dremel tool :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 36 37.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back