Bubba's SPS Journey

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fox Flame is a beautiful, beautiful piece. My frag got beat up real bad (lost about half its flesh) when I used Reef Flux, but after the Reef Flux was pulled out, it stopped STN'ing, started show polyps again, and is showing signs of growing flesh back over the dead spots.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fox Flame is a beautiful, beautiful piece. My frag got beat up real bad (lost about half its flesh) when I used Reef Flux, but after the Reef Flux was pulled out, it stopped STN'ing, started show polyps again, and is showing signs of growing flesh back over the dead spots.
How long did you leave the reef flux in before pulling it. Did it work? I'm seeing some of the same thing you and Bubba reported, but it's sporadic.

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks. Eliminated all my visible bryopsis. But it's been out for 2 1/2 weeks now and I'm already starting to see bryopsis strands again. This time I'm just going to let it be unless it becomes an actual problem, not just a visible one.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was either the reef flux or the subsequent nutrient spike that hurt some of my acros and it hasn't really killed the bryopsis, but hasn't been two weeks yet.

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it definitely wasn't nutrient or alk spike; I tested and monitor those with hawk eyes; every single day. I'm convinced it was the Reef Flux.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you leave the reef flux in before pulling it. Did it work? I'm seeing some of the same thing you and Bubba reported, but it's sporadic.
I used it about a year ago and I lost a bunch of stuff a couple weeks in. I thought it was the reef flux brand that was the issue. My lfs used reef flux also and had a problem with it also. Bryopsis showed up again and my lfs told me they have a new brand that people had success with. I used it and I had the same issues. I left it in a full 21 days with the 3rd week being the worst on my acros. My bryopsis is gone now but it was not worth using the treatment for me.

The first time I used it I noticed my po4 shot up and wondered if that was the issue. The second time I used gfo to make sure my nutrients didn’t spike and they didn’t but had the same issue.

There are a lot of people who have used it and had no issues but both times I tried my acros suffered.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it about a year ago and I lost a bunch of stuff a couple weeks in. I thought it was the reef flux brand that was the issue. My lfs used reef flux also and had a problem with it also. Bryopsis showed up again and my lfs told me they have a new brand that people had success with. I used it and I had the same issues. I left it in a full 21 days with the 3rd week being the worst on my acros. My bryopsis is gone now but it was not worth using the treatment for me.

The first time I used it I noticed my po4 shot up and wondered if that was the issue. The second time I used gfo to make sure my nutrients didn’t spike and they didn’t but had the same issue.

There are a lot of people who have used it and had no issues but both times I tried my acros suffered.
What is the new brand they r using, I'm about to use Reef Flux to get rid of my bryopsis, but if their is something better that won't kill my acros then I will use it. I have previously heard that it was hardest on sofites, 2nd LPS, and 3rd Sps.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honest don’t know the brand. They had it in a bag that said fluconazole and it was in powder form, not pill. Either way it wasn’t easier on acros for me. I had the same result.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Jason Fox Fox flame considered a classic yet?
JF Fox flame 5-16.jpg
One of the most beautiful pieces in the hobby without a doubt. A healthy, well colored colony of it is down right stunning. I used to have a nice colony of it and it was the star of the tank. I lost mine unfortunately

JFFoxFlame.jpg

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have both? I’d love to see them side by side if so.

I dont anymore ( you know the story)

I had a chance yesterday to place my Tigers blood right next to Pink Floyd and they looked to be identical.

Here is the Diabolic- Same color different growth pattern IMO tighter coralites- I had to crop the picture it was to large :(

_MG_4712-2.jpg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont anymore ( you know the story)

I had a chance yesterday to place my Tigers blood right next to Pink Floyd and they looked to be identical.

Here is the Diabolic- Same color different growth pattern IMO tighter coralites- I had to crop the picture it was to large :(

_MG_4712-2.jpg
looks amazing!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different amounts of radions for each tank. I use the aquaticlife fixture so I use the amount that goes in each size fixture. I use two blue+ and two actinic with the fixture.

I use the zen reef frag rack.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my new 60g deep blue frag tank I was thinking 2 xr30 pros g4 and a aquaticlife t5 hybrid that's why I asked lol.
I would get the fixture length that goes to that size tank. If it’s 48” long it will be 3 xr15’s, I’m not sure about xr3o’s.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys tried Vibrant?

I used to have all kinds of nuisance algae (bubble, bryopsis) and this stuff wiped it out completely. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks, which is good because it doesn't crash your tank.

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I wish. JF sells them pretty cheap now. I’ve seen it around $300-350 for a frag.

yes on two tanks I am using that. That Pink Floyd is under those lights. On the other two tanks it’s radions and t5’s. The new display will be radions and t5’s.
So glad I picked one up in WWC live sale yesterday---for about double that ;Facepalm

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back