OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie has been preaching about Melafix pond as a coral dip for a while now so I decided to give it a try. So far it seems amazing on the stuff I tried it on. I got a frag with a bristle worm on it and the worm wiggled off the plug almost immediately and then died about 30 seconds later. Another frag had some pods on it and as soon they touched the dip they died. I know those two aren't any of the scary pest but it seems very promising. One of the best things is it's also clear so you can see what's in the dip compared to the Bayer I have been using. A huge plus is it's also less toxic.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie has been preaching about Melafix pond as a coral dip for a while now so I decided to give it a try. So far it seems amazing on the stuff I tried it on. I got a frag with a bristle worm on it and the worm wiggled off the plug almost immediately and then died about 30 seconds later. Another frag had some pods on it and as soon they touched the dip they died. I know those two aren't any of the scary pest but it seems very promising. One of the best things is it's also clear so you can see what's in the dip compared to the Bayer I have been using. A huge plus is it's also less toxic.

Melafix is an industry secret almost. Nobody on the hobby side uses it -- Nobody on the professional side uses anything else.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some of the melafix pond but couldn’t remember your recommended dosage. Can you post that again?

honestly, I use about 2mL per cup of water -- This is a HEAVY dip, and frankly, I've seen just as effective results at 1mL/cup, or less.. But I do more to be safe, as it's a very quick 5-7 minute dip.

Most importantly you need to use a pipette to blow on the coral and get whatever may be on, off.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly, I use about 2mL per cup of water -- This is a HEAVY dip, and frankly, I've seen just as effective results at 1mL/cup, or less.. But I do more to be safe, as it's a very quick 5-7 minute dip.

Most importantly you need to use a pipette to blow on the coral and get whatever may be on, off.
Thank you sir

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1 to 2 ml per cup? A small bottle will last forever! Add the solution being clear it sounds like this is something I def have to try. Not to mention less toxicity. Why are we all not using this?

I hold my breath every time I use Bayer from fear of toxicity.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 to 2 ml per cup? A small bottle will last forever! Add the solution being clear it sounds like this is something I def have to try. Not to mention less toxicity. Why are we all not using this?

I hold my breath every time I use Bayer from fear of toxicity.

That's 1-2mL/cup of the POND version, which is 5x more concentrated than the regular version or the marine version. And yes... A 16oz bottle lasts FOREVER. Nothing like it. Vendors love it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's 1-2mL/cup of the POND version, which is 5x more concentrated than the regular version or the marine version. And yes... A 16oz bottle lasts FOREVER. Nothing like it. Vendors love it.

If you use the regular or marine version (marine version is only about 25% more potent then the regular) you would use 1-2 cap full per cup. I think 1 capful is 5ml for the regular and marine versions. Stuff works wonders and does last for a long time lol. I have had isopods live through coralrx and iodine, but not through it.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the regular or marine version (marine version is only about 25% more potent then the regular) you would use 1-2 cap full per cup. I think 1 capful is 5ml for the regular and marine versions. Stuff works wonders and does last for a long time lol. I have had isopods live through coralrx and iodine, but not through it.

The regular is 1.0%, the marine is 1.25%, and the pond is 5%. So yeah, always get the pond to make it easy. Otherwise a capfull at 5mL would work for the regular stuff!

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
..and am I reading this right? It can be used in a marine system. So in theory if some gets into your display tank, no worries?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..and am I reading this right? It can be used in a marine system. So in theory if some gets into your display tank, no worries?

No. It can be used as a medicine for marine fish with bacterial infections, but you don't want any in your tank. Prolonged exposure = dead corals, and inverts.

That's why I've stressed the timing so much -- 5-7 minutes, and a rinse afterwards. But all it really needs is a light rinse, swish around the frag in some clean tank water in it's own cup, or put the frags in a cup and pour fresh water into that cup and drain it before putting frags into the tank.

It's not crazy toxic, it's actually pretty light. But they DO need to be rinsed after.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back