OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such awesome dimensions! What kind of bottom is that?
The builder called it pvc board. I’m doing bare bottom so I wanted to protect the bottom. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Oh sure... Put the smaller kid in. Where's your daughter? Tank is probably just 100 gallons. [emoji12]

Jealousy rages within me man. That's an awesome tank! Congrats bud!

Everyone... Enjoy the FTS now. It'll be the last Bubba will ever let us see one until 2030. [emoji2960]
haha! I was going to put my daughter in there but she was not around.

Tank looks great! Who built it again?
A local builder.

Oh wow Bubba, what an absolutely stunning glass box and stand!! This is going to be an epic build :D

Maybe if we bully him hard enough we might get another one with some water and rocks to tide us over till 2030 hahaha
Thanks!

Unfortunately there won’t be any FTS for a long while. My display currently has tiles all over the place, along with frag racks all on the front glass. It looks like a total wreck. I had to shut down my 8’ raceway and the corals had to get crammed somewhere.
9042BBB9-B88B-4B81-84CC-0104474821D0.jpeg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The builder called it pvc board. I’m doing bare bottom so I wanted to protect the bottom. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

haha! I was going to put my daughter in there but she was not around.

A local builder.

Thanks!

Unfortunately there won’t be any FTS for a long while. My display currently has tiles all over the place, along with frag racks all on the front glass. It looks like a total wreck. I had to shut down my 8’ raceway and the corals had to get crammed somewhere.
9042BBB9-B88B-4B81-84CC-0104474821D0.jpeg
I like how that solid colony just happened to make it on the frag rack :rolleyes:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The PVC board is awesome. I wish I had it in my tank (I was not going bare bottom at first).
And the off-white gives it a sandy bottom look!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC bottoms are GREAT, very high quality. They route out the bottom to sit the glass in so it's extremely sturdy. PVC bottoms are a significantly stronger than glass, and that base will make the tank more earthquake proof (which matters in my neck of the woods... not yours). Although no euro-edge + earthquake = 40% water change on the floor!

What are the dimensions again? That looks pretty shallow but I think it's just got a lot of width and depth making it look short :D

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC bottoms are GREAT, very high quality. They route out the bottom to sit the glass in so it's extremely sturdy. PVC bottoms are a significantly stronger than glass, and that base will make the tank more earthquake proof (which matters in my neck of the woods... not yours). Although no euro-edge + earthquake = 40% water change on the floor!

What are the dimensions again? That looks pretty shallow but I think it's just got a lot of width and depth making it look short :D
I am glad I don’t have to experience earthquakes but the tank is eurobraced with 3/4” glass.

I think the pic makes it look shallower than it is as the tank is still 24” tall. Overall dimensions are 8’ x 3’ x 2’.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad I don’t have to experience earthquakes but the tank is eurobraced with 3/4” glass.

I think the pic makes it look shallower than it is as the tank is still 24” tall. Overall dimensions are 8’ x 3’ x 2’.

Oh I couldn't see the eurobrace, I'm in favor of those too! They also help keep fish from exploring the carpet as easily.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC bottoms are GREAT, very high quality. They route out the bottom to sit the glass in so it's extremely sturdy. PVC bottoms are a significantly stronger than glass, and that base will make the tank more earthquake proof

Do you know if coralline grows as well on PVC bottoms? I assume it would still grow.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if coralline grows as well on PVC bottoms? I assume it would still grow.
Yep will still grow on everything. The pvc bottom is mainly for protection from rocks falling more than looks. I plan to grow montis and chalices on the bottom so hopefully I won’t see it much.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very scientific but they smell the same and Melafix Marine lists only one active ingredient--Melaleuca at 1.25%. They both seem to work the same as well.

From Rakie's experience Melafix Pond (5% )kills everything dead.

Based of that it's likely a heavier dose or longer time will work better for you with Expel.

As more people use either product the dosage and dwell time should get nailed down better.
I’ve been using expel at double the dosage on the bottle. I’ve dipped about a dozen sps without issues.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Were you able to get that kid out of the tank? Do you have a quarantine procedure for him?
I have been super busy getting the tank going. I spent all holiday weekend plumbing and filling the tank and as of this morning the tank is fully running. I still need to add the lights and do some wire management but it’s moving right along. This weekend I will probably add a whole bunch of the bottled bacteria and the fish I had in frag tank that I shut down.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been super busy getting the tank going. I spent all holiday weekend plumbing and filling the tank and as of this morning the tank is fully running. I still need to add the lights and do some wire management but it’s moving right along. This weekend I will probably add a whole bunch of the bottled bacteria and the fish I had in frag tank that I shut down.

Man you must have a pretty great wife. If i tried to play with my tanks an entire holiday weekend my bags would be at the curb.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back