Bubba's SPS Journey

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one emerald crab and the rest is snails as well. I have some aptasia in my current tank and a few balls of bubble algae. I’ll be scrubbing all the corals and lps stocks dipped in pure peroxide to make sure nothing carry’s over. Sps will be cut a little above incrusting section and relocated. Only thing being transferred will be the return pump , tunze’s and heater. Don’t want to deal with bubbles or aptasia anymore lol.

Better be careful. Return pumps can carry both of those

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank is 360 gallons and the dimensions are 8 x 3 x 2. No I’m not keeping any of the frag tanks. Right now I only have 1 of the 3 still going and that one should also be gone this weekend.

Wait wait wait! So you are only going to be running one display? No more frag tanks in the garage at all? How am I supposed to buy frags off of you now??

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait wait wait! So you are only going to be running one display? No more frag tanks in the garage at all? How am I supposed to buy frags off of you now??
Nope, no more frag tanks. I’ll cut frags out the display when people want some.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no more frag tanks. I’ll cut frags out the display when people want some.

Any specific reason for no more frag tanks other than not wanting to take care of them anymore. I’m considering a dedicated frag tank so I can get the frags out of my display but I really don’t want to put a ton of money into it. (I mean compared to my display as nothing in this hobby is cheap

Len

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specific reason for no more frag tanks other than not wanting to take care of them anymore. I’m considering a dedicated frag tank so I can get the frags out of my display but I really don’t want to put a ton of money into it. (I mean compared to my display as nothing in this hobby is cheap

Len
The only reason I got rid of them is because they were in my garage. I’m in Florida and the normal heat plus all the heat added from the lights made it were I never wanted to go out there. No point in all these tanks if I wasn’t gonna look at them.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I got rid of them is because they were in my garage. I’m in Florida and the normal heat plus all the heat added from the lights made it were I never wanted to go out there. No point in all these tanks if I wasn’t gonna look at them.

That makes sense, not seeing them all the time is concern of mine as I would put them in a spare bedroom. Looking at my tanks and keeping an eye on them in my opinion is one of the best maintenance techniques out there

Len

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re trying to elongate something and it’s already in your tank you may be too late. I wanted to avoid anything going into the new tank by never allowing it in.

For clean up crew I only have snails. I took each snail and brushed and scraped their shells to remove anything undesirable.
@bubbaque I may have missed it but what is your process for transferring SPS into the new tank? Any dipping? Fragging above base only?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bubbaque I may have missed it but what is your process for transferring SPS into the new tank? Any dipping? Fragging above base only?
I cut everything off above the bases and dipped everything in Bayer. I make the dip with 20ml of Bayer per one cup of water.

I’ve never had any acro pest but dipped again just to be extra safe.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut everything off above the bases and dipped everything in Bayer. I make the dip with 20ml of Bayer per one cup of water.

I’ve never had any acro pest but dipped again just to be extra safe.
I’m going to do an upgrade soon and I’m more worried about hydroids, bryopsis, etc making a new home

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to do an upgrade soon and I’m more worried about hydroids, bryopsis, etc making a new home
None of that actually grows on the coral so as long as you don’t keep rock or plugs from that system you should be okay. Don’t use equipment that was also from that tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back