Bubba's SPS Journey

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of that actually grows on the coral so as long as you don’t keep rock or plugs from that system you should be okay. Don’t use equipment that was also from that tank.
Yeah I really wanted to reuse my chiller :(. Are you going to transfer any LPS or zoas? The LPS skeletons are stressing me out. I figure they will carry the bads into the new tank. I think I might setup an in-between QT for a while and torch them with fluconazole and fenbendazole.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really wanted to reuse my chiller :(. Are you going to transfer any LPS or zoas? The LPS skeletons are stressing me out. I figure they will carry the bads into the new tank. I think I might setup an in-between QT for a while and torch them with fluconazole and fenbendazole.
I feel pretty strongly that a good strong HCl (muriatic) wash or recirculation through the chiller will kill everything including bacteria and virus. No problem reusing equipment if acid washed a few times, rinsed and then dried out.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I’m not transferring any zoas but not sure about my torch yet. If I do I’ll check the skeleton for any vermetids and scrap them off like I did the snails.

@bubbaque are you using your calcium reactor on the new system from day one?
No I did not use it from day one as my alk demand wasn’t high enough to warrant the move, especially since my corals in the previous tank still needed it. It is up and running on my new tank now though. I only have a few colonies left to transfer and I’ll will be completely finished.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No I’m not transferring any zoas but not sure about my torch yet. If I do I’ll check the skeleton for any vermetids and scrap them off like I did the snails.

If the torch doesn't get moved to the new tank feel free to drop me a line. I was too slow when you fragged it before but would be interested if you end up selling some.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s colony moving day! I’m pretty nervous about this as I don’t think colonies like to be moved. I made backups just in case they die but I’m hoping for the best.

Pink lemonade
44AC4E5E-58AD-4EC2-B79E-3A0A15FA6DDB.jpeg

Pc Superman
FF2E677B-FBED-4404-B83B-F9D048F49DC4.jpeg

TSA Princess peach
8EFDCA6F-7A8B-4316-8338-F581B82ED90D.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you move them and keep them whole, did you remove the rock and under cut the rock to remove it?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you move them and keep them whole, did you remove the rock and under cut the rock to remove it?
I used a hacksaw and cut just above the base. In this pic you can see all the base still there and where I cut.

F5F30789-F9B9-4D72-811C-911285A86231.jpeg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a hacksaw and cut just above the base. In this pic you can see all the base still there and where I cut.

F5F30789-F9B9-4D72-811C-911285A86231.jpeg
I’ll buy the base of your homewrecker, lol!!!

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bubbaque, i almost smell the acro in your pics of the colonys out of water.
Dont know your plan for relocation, what i did with some of my big pieces might help.
I drilled a small hole in the base to insert a piece of acrylic rod, then glue the rod in the acro.
After i just drilled in the rocks so i can insert or remove said colony with ease.
0f5682a32af5039e794147ef8d0a974c.jpg

In this pic the pink acro on top has it on the base, the red planet on the right has it on the side.
Never lost a piece with this method (yet).
Good luck!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I took out my Pink lemonade colony I was blown away by how much detritus is stuck deep down inside. You hear of colonies getting to a certain size and sometimes they start dying from the inside, all this detritus is probably why. I think I may take a powerhead or turkey blaster and periodically blast the inside of the colonies for now own.

Good luck man,I hope everything goes smoothly. Super excited to see the new set up in full grow mode.
Thanks!

How many gallons of super glue have you gone through?

I wouldn’t even know how to begin to glue down those colonies
I have gone through so many tubes of glue. Just today alone I went through 15 of the tubes that you get from the dollar store.

Hi Bubbaque, i almost smell the acro in your pics of the colonys out of water.
Dont know your plan for relocation, what i did with some of my big pieces might help.
I drilled a small hole in the base to insert a piece of acrylic rod, then glue the rod in the acro.
After i just drilled in the rocks so i can insert or remove said colony with ease.
0f5682a32af5039e794147ef8d0a974c.jpg

In this pic the pink acro on top has it on the base, the red planet on the right has it on the side.
Never lost a piece with this method (yet).
Good luck!
I tried to do something similar. I didn’t mount any of my corals directly to the rocks but all on frag plugs with the stem on. I have learned when corals encrust they take up a lot of real estate so by making them grow down the frag plug and stem instead of out on the rock should help with saving some space on the rocks. Several times already I just popped the stem off the rock and moved them somewhere else.

Last edited:

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I took out my Pink lemonade colony I was blown away by how much detritus is stuck deep down inside. You hear of colonies getting to a certain size and sometimes they start dying from the inside, all this detritus is probably why. I think I may take a powerhead or turkey blaster and periodically blast the inside of the colonies for now own.

Thanks!

I have gone through so many tubes of glue. Just today alone I went through 15 of the tubes that you get from the dollar store.

I tried to do something similar. I didn’t mount any of my corals directly to the rocks but all on frag plugs with the stem on. I have learned when corals encrust they take up a lot of real estate so by making them grow down the frag plug and stem instead of out on the rock should help with saving some space on the rocks. Several times already I’m just popped the stem off the rock and moved them someone else.

Can you show an example of you mounting a frag like this? I never thought about leaving the stems on when mounting on the rocks.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show an example of you mounting a frag like this? I never thought about leaving the stems on when mounting on the rocks.
This is a pic I posted a couple weeks ago but you can see the colony mounted to a plug and then mounted to the rock. Most people won't do this as it doesn't look natural at first but in time you will no longer see the plug. Below my pic is a picture of Brad's tank who uses this method and you can see if he would of mounted them straight to the rock his coral bases would of touched already.
stems.jpeg

brads.jpg

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like by mounting them that way and having them not encrust your missing out on some colors that you would only get from the flat encrusted bases.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back