bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bubbaque ,
what is your favorite brand of carx media ? Did you using 2nd carx chamber ?
Ive only used one brand so I have nothing to compare it to but I use TLF Reborn. My calcium reactor does have a second chamber.

This post inspired me.. haha. Did I get the right stuff?
B534476F-FE2D-467C-B1C8-6C7149EC8B8E.jpeg
Thats the right stuff. As much as I love brs I’d get the scrubber media elsewhere as theirs is expensive.

This is what I buy. https://www.shopmedvet.com/product/...MIjIO32Zy35AIVEbbICh0SCQ5gEAQYAiABEgKdQfD_BwE

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you were already monitoring alk but I may be confused now with all these acro threads

Adam_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bubba, So I've spent the last few days binge reading all 214 pages. Outstanding tanks and pics. I've learned a lot from you and others posting, so for that, thank you!

Have a question. Do you run filter socks? I've been considering removing mine to raise my nutrients a bit. I've been feeding tons last few months and acros were happy until I had an outbreak of bryopsis and dosed Reefflux, killed off a few softball sized acros so won't be doing that again. Things are bouncing back now. But, even though I feed a ton, I'm not getting any measurable No3 or Po4. Maybe my chaeto was working too well running 24/7? I've since reduced it to reverse cycle 12 hours on. I'm gonna wait a few weeks on the fuge and see if that changes anything, next step would be removing filter socks but wanted to get your opinion first. Hoping elevated nutrients will take me off that "razor's edge" of a low nutrient tank in case of another mishap. Thanks and keep those pics coming!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Bubba, So I've spent the last few days binge reading all 214 pages. Outstanding tanks and pics. I've learned a lot from you and others posting, so for that, thank you!

Have a question. Do you run filter socks? I've been considering removing mine to raise my nutrients a bit. I've been feeding tons last few months and acros were happy until I had an outbreak of bryopsis and dosed Reefflux, killed off a few softball sized acros so won't be doing that again. Things are bouncing back now. But, even though I feed a ton, I'm not getting any measurable No3 or Po4. Maybe my chaeto was working too well running 24/7? I've since reduced it to reverse cycle 12 hours on. I'm gonna wait a few weeks on the fuge and see if that changes anything, next step would be removing filter socks but wanted to get your opinion first. Hoping elevated nutrients will take me off that "razor's edge" of a low nutrient tank in case of another mishap. Thanks and keep those pics coming!
Thanks for reading my thread!

I had a bad experience with reefflux also.

Running chaeto 24/7 can drop nutrients to nothing. I’d see how your reverse light cycle goes for a couple weeks before making other changes.

On my previous system I never ran socks but my nutrients were always pretty low but detectable. I used chaeto to keep nutrients manageable. On the new tank I’m running socks as I am not using chaeto and only rely on a skimmer, so I hope socks will help the skimmer out.

Adam_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reading my thread!

I had a bad experience with reefflux also.

Running chaeto 24/7 can drop nutrients to nothing. I’d see how your reverse light cycle goes for a couple weeks before making other changes.

On my previous system I never ran socks but my nutrients were always pretty low but detectable. I used chaeto to keep nutrients manageable. On the new tank I’m running socks as I am not using chaeto and only rely on a skimmer, so I hope socks will help the skimmer out.

Ok I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks again for the help!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting for my new camera to arrive before I started taken pics again and it finally came in yesterday. Having always using Nikon in the past and now switching to Canon feels like I learning how to take pics all over again. I am sure I will figure it out the more I play around with it but at least pics will start being posted again.

RMF Psychoberry

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while, maybe 10 months. At the time he told me he could only cut a small frag. It never grew for me but now it is so I couldn’t be happier.

Thats the issue I personally feel makes reefers fail when they add corals in early.

I fed a ton of food from day one, just as much as my old tanks and the new one only had 3 fish at first. I’m not sure why people worry about algae. Every new tank is gonna get it but get a clean up crew in preparation for it. My tank never got algae that looked crazy bad because of snails and at one point I was feeding 10 - 12 times a day. I still skim the reef discussion forum and I see people everyday telling people with algae to dose vibrant or lower nutrients. I tried to comment a few times telling people to skip dosing stuff and get a cleanup crew that involves snails but people skip over that advice and would rather dose their tanks. My tank was getting covered in coralline after being setup for two weeks because it had nutrients to grow. People need to stop worrying about algae and feed their tanks, even from day one but be prepared with some snails. More early success would come if people did.

I’m not sure what started the high nutrients cause brown corals as many stunning tanks has proved this wrong. Brown corals comes from stressed corals.

lets not get carried away, haha.
Great post!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting for my new camera to arrive before I started taken pics again and it finally came in yesterday. Having always using Nikon in the past and now switching to Canon feels like I learning how to take pics all over again. I am sure I will figure it out the more I play around with it but at least pics will start being posted again.

RMF Psychoberry

Wow this is a really unique piece! I wonder what type of acropora it is.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is bigger than most would want but I have a few this size to handle any algae that would ever pop up. You can see the normal sized turbo on the rock in the background.
E2D954BA-651B-46C6-9FB4-5481277DB4B4.jpeg
You have to love a giant zebra turbo snail! I had one right at the same size roughly a little over 3” for a few years in one of my frag tanks until I gave him to a buddy of mine with a 400 gallon. I originally found him in the liverock at the LFS I worked at back in the day lol. I just remember being amazed at the shear size when I first saw it. Very cool, killer snail you have there bro! Lol

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATED FTS of all tanks as of December 2018

Display 180

FTS Jan 27.jpg

Frag tank 50 gallon
Left frag tank Dec 17.jpg

Frag tank 50 gallon
Right frag tank Dec 17.jpg

I don't really share much pics but I figured I would start so I can document my journey and sps growth. I will upload new photos of new sps as I get them or have time to take more photos. Here are a few to start with.

JKR rainbow.png

JKR rainbow
Pink Lemonade.png

Pink Lemonade
BC Secale.png

BC Secale
TSA Princess Peach.png

TSA Princess Peach
Confetti January.png

Vivids Confetti
Nice journey!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.0%
Back