Bubba's SPS Journey

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I tested my nutrients today to discover my no3 close to 50ppm and po4 .19. Even though my corals are looking good I don’t feel comfortable with those numbers so I’m adding a refugium again.
you know, they always say not to chase numbers, and @Chaswood79 would be fighting you right now to tell you to keep it how it is, but I personally wouldn't feel that comfortable being that "high" too, if it were my tank. but it's hard to argue against those results though, brotha. you know what they say...if it aint broke...

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my sweet goodness!!!!!! o_O :eek: :eek: :oops:;Drool the tank looks absolutely unreal man!! I did not realise it was quite that big either haha it's fantastic Bubba!
Thanks bud.

It still looks giant to me even after having it 4 months.

I didnt realise how beautiful your tank was untill I saw this video :O Do you have a photo with just the rockscape and or the dimensions of the tank?
This is the oldest pic I have before the stand was finished but you can see the rock scape. In pics the scape looks lame and part of the reason I did a video to show how many caves and channels it has. The tank is 8’ x 3’ x 2’.

441B240E-EFCB-4F69-8B13-718EB7736064.jpeg

Wow, one heck of a tang gang ya got there!!!
Sweet DT I love it!
They are one of my favorite parts of the tank. I feed a full sheet of nori each day to prevent fighting.

you know, they always say not to chase numbers, and @Chaswood79 would be fighting you right now to tell you to keep it how it is, but I personally wouldn't feel that comfortable being that "high" too, if it were my tank. but it's hard to argue against those results though, brotha. you know what they say...if it aint broke...
He has great results and I wouldn’t change anything either if it’s working for him. My concern is my nutrients keep going higher and higher and another month or two my nitrate would probably hit 100 ppm. Whether I’d get issues at that level I don’t know but I want to try and prevent finding out the number that gives me issues. My numbers now has decreased my fear quit a bit of high numbers but I still get an uneasy feeling watching my no3 test turn dark purple almost instantly.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy told me he never cuts that thing and I can't have it....I see how it is!

Tank is looking great!
In my defense... he entrapped me... waved a gorgeous frag in front of my face and then told me how I could get it. . I had no choice... I even have to name my kid about to be born Bubba. He’s an animal!

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks incredible @bubbaque and I think a fuge is a great idea to help stabilize and slowly reduce your no3/po4 to your comfort zone.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 4 months and a week old today. I was having an issue with my sand turning brown in areas so I added a uv sterilizer directly to the display and did a blackout on the tank. So far it seemed to have worked but I’ll leave The sterilizer in for another week or so to make sure.

Other than the sand issue the corals are looking pretty good and growing. I took a short video to share and for those who don’t want to watch a video here is a pic.

B2D79403-79D3-4118-8A82-34B9B203DDCE.jpeg

Just amazing

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubba, with your own frozen mix, when you thaw it out and place it into the tank, does it remain like a paste like consistency or does it break down to smaller particles that every mouth can get; or are fish fighting for the chunks?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bubba, with your own frozen mix, when you thaw it out and place it into the tank, does it remain like a paste like consistency or does it break down to smaller particles that every mouth can get; or are fish fighting for the chunks?
If it's a paste you didn't add enough water to the blender. When I first started making the food it was a paste and was a pain but quickly learned more water will have it thaw out just fine.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a paste you didn't add enough water to the blender. When I first started making the food it was a paste and was a pain but quickly learned more water will have it thaw out just fine.
Bubba are you strictly feeding this frozen mix no autofeeder? I need to bump up my frequency but work and my photoperiod make feeding frozen more than once/day a struggle.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so they remain little particles then, thanks!
I made bubbas recipe (with a few changes) and it works out great. It almost looks like LRS. Add water if it is too thick and best advice I can give is don’t blend for too long or it’ll cut up the food too small

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made bubbas recipe (with a few changes) and it works out great. It almost looks like LRS. Add water if it is too thick and best advice I can give is don’t blend for too long or it’ll cut up the food too small
thanks brotha, I'll have to try it out sometime too.

Are you using fresh materials or frozen? Looks like bubba is using fresh, but I have those ingredients at home that are frozen.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've definitely thought about it. Just really like using frozen over pellets but it may be necessary :)
I do too, but in an effort to fatten up my fish and keep acros happy, I do flakes in the AM, pellets twice during the day, and frozen at night (nutrients stay at 1.0 ppm NO3 and 0.10 ppm PO4)

Can you feed frozen in the AM before work?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do too, but in an effort to fatten up my fish and keep acros happy, I do flakes in the AM, pellets twice during the day, and frozen at night (nutrients stay at 1.0 ppm NO3 and 0.10 ppm PO4)

Can you feed frozen in the AM before work?
I get up too early unfortunately. I could use a little more PO4 so I may just throw on an autofeeder with pellets.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back