Bubba's SPS Journey

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks brotha, I'll have to try it out sometime too.

Are you using fresh materials or frozen? Looks like bubba is using fresh, but I have those ingredients at home that are frozen.
I used fresh. Everything cost under $20 on the end. Try frozen. At the end of the day the fish food we all use now is frozen not fresh

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba are you strictly feeding this frozen mix no autofeeder? I need to bump up my frequency but work and my photoperiod make feeding frozen more than once/day a struggle.
All the stuff my store (Publix) uses is stuff that was previously frozen and thawed out on trays for you to buy. I don’t take it home and refreeze it. I seen the video brs made a few days ago about using all frozen food because they said thawed was a pain but I never experienced any issue and I’ve done it a ton of times.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the stuff my store (Publix) uses is stuff that was previously frozen and thawed out on trays for you to buy. I don’t take it home and refreeze it. I seen the video brs made a few days ago about using all frozen food because they said thawed was a pain but I never experienced any issue and I’ve done it a ton of times.
Yo, I have some buddies in Naples, so I visit every now and then and those Publix chicken wings though?!

Anyway, bubba, took much talk, not enough pics!!!

michael giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a version of frozen like Bubbas, and I am in Florida as well. so I buy live 2 dozen live shrimp from bait store for $4. let them hang out in a bucket alive for a couple hours in a gallon of my tank water I add 6-8 drops of iodine to the water and let them filter out any impurities and add it adds a little idione to them. Last week fresh swordfish filets were on sale, I got two big steaks for $6. A hand full of scallops for $3. Then I stopped by the lfs grabbed a bag of brine shrimp for $4 and let them soak in aquarium water and aminos for an hour alive. I added a little reef chili to the blender with a little extra aminos and water with everything and whalla, extremely clean food that is very nutrious for corals and fish that cost $21.50 to make and produced three quart zip lock bags full. My town is small so I got everything within a couple of miles from each other. There’s no way any food on the market is half the quality as well homemade fish food. This batch of food will feed a 200 gallon tank 5 for months.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped to Canon so I can share some blue light pics without any filter. I have been messing around with the custom white balance on the camera itself and I think I just about got it. Let me know what you think.

Under blues
TCK Balrog
Balrog by Raul Rivas, on Flickr

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swapped to Canon so I can share some blue light pics without any filter. I have been messing around with the custom white balance on the camera itself and I think I just about got it. Let me know what you think.

Under blues
TCK Balrog
Holy smokes thats gorgeous

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Under blues
TCK Balrog
if THAT is how it looks to your naked eye, then that's impressive. I get the argument against filters, but if the picture represents what a person sees in real time, in front of their eyes, what's wrong with that?

Anyway, that pic is awesome. I guess the coral is OK too.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the food routine for this tank ?​
I feed my home made food several times a day. (Tilapia, shrimp and scallops)

if THAT is how it looks to your naked eye, then that's impressive. I get the argument against filters, but if the picture represents what a person sees in real time, in front of their eyes, what's wrong with that?

Anyway, that pic is awesome. I guess the coral is OK too.
The problem with orange filters is it isn't how it looks to the naked eye. I have ordered several different shades of orange filters trying to find one that's accurate and they all exaggerate colors, especially under blues. If you want to make an orange filter look close to what you see then use it under daylight and it will be close but using it under blues is just silly.

I made a thread a while ago with a video showing examples of what filters people should be using if they want something that is close and it's a brown filter, not an orange.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my home made food several times a day. (Tilapia, shrimp and scallops)

The problem with orange filters is it isn't how it looks to the naked eye. I have ordered several different shades of orange filters trying to find one that's accurate and they all exaggerate colors, especially under blues. If you want to make an orange filter look close to what you see then use it under daylight and it will be close but using it under blues is just silly.

I made a thread a while ago with a video showing examples of what filters people should be using if they want something that is close and it's a brown filter, not an orange.
I agree. Luckily I don't use orange. I use a brown and a yellow filter if I need it. The orange glasses I've seen are just nuts, and I find it funny at the last show to see people walking around with them. It should be noted though, subjectively we all perceive things differently, and there are anatomical variances in each person's eyes (even between them) that make judging stuff like colors tough (I deal with eyes every day).

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @bubbaque hows the insanity growing out for you?
I never had the insanity, unfortunately. I think only a couple people got frags of it. I never see Vivid post about it anymore so hopefully they still have it.

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba, you are just the example of aquarist!

Honest and perfect photos.

Love last comment about filters. And yes... It is completely mad for people to go wearing orange sun glasses..

What about your N and P levels feeding your home made food?

Use anything to remove them or just the corals absorb it!?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Luckily I don't use orange. I use a brown and a yellow filter if I need it. The orange glasses I've seen are just nuts, and I find it funny at the last show to see people walking around with them. It should be noted though, subjectively we all perceive things differently, and there are anatomical variances in each person's eyes (even between them) that make judging stuff like colors tough (I deal with eyes every day).
And now how in the world you know that?:)

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba, you are just the example of aquarist!

Honest and perfect photos.

Love last comment about filters. And yes... It is completely mad for people to go wearing orange sun glasses..

What about your N and P levels feeding your home made food?

Use anything to remove them or just the corals absorb it!?
I tried using just a skimmer but my no3 as of yesterday was 35ppm and po4 a week ago was .19. I added chaeto to my system again to try and bring those numbers down a bit.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back