Bubba's SPS Journey

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from 0, haha. A month or so ago I was close to 50 ppm. I have been doing water changes and growing chaeto to reduce that number and I think I’m about 15ppm now with po4 at .11.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d have numbers like this but it has showed me it’s not something to be feared and it doesn’t cause brown corals.

Here is my test when it was near that 50 ppm and the bottom pic was tested yesterday.
69A113B8-26DC-4F82-94C3-5E59C0C10783.jpeg

558F2429-A146-4586-B67B-06ED0FAD0800.jpeg
Those test results look familiar

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m far from 0, haha. A month or so ago I was close to 50 ppm. I have been doing water changes and growing chaeto to reduce that number and I think I’m about 15ppm now with po4 at .11.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d have numbers like this but it has showed me it’s not something to be feared and it doesn’t cause brown corals.

Here is my test when it was near that 50 ppm and the bottom pic was tested yesterday.
69A113B8-26DC-4F82-94C3-5E59C0C10783.jpeg

558F2429-A146-4586-B67B-06ED0FAD0800.jpeg

How were your SPS with nitrates near 50? I had some RTN and loss when my nitrates got up to 50-100...

Thanks

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How were your SPS with nitrates near 50? I had some RTN and loss when my nitrates got up to 50-100...

Thanks
The corals looked the exact same. You would never be able to tell my nitrate was 50 and my po4 was .22.

I would of left it but it’s been pounded into my head to keep nitrate and phosphate as low as possible and that prevents me from relaxing when I see numbers that high even if everything is fine. With my current numbers I can relax and not worry.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals looked the exact same. You would never be able to tell my nitrate was 50 and my po4 was .22.

I would of left it but it’s been pounded into my head to keep nitrate and phosphate as low as possible and that prevents me from relaxing when I see numbers that high even if everything is fine. With my current numbers I can relax and not worry.
Did any of these pounders have corals that looked better than yours?

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba

I find it really interesting how some people have such different results with various nitrate and Phos levels. There is no denying you have some very nice healthy colorful corals. It seems that all the really nice LED SPS tanks I am familiar with run higher BB/nutrient levels.

Do you think it is possible that LED tanks can or maybe even need to run higher levels than MH or T5?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba

I find it really interesting how some people have such different results with various nitrate and Phos levels. There is no denying you have some very nice healthy colorful corals. It seems that all the really nice LED SPS tanks I am familiar with run higher BB/nutrient levels.

Do you think it is possible that LED tanks can or maybe even need to run higher levels than MH or T5?
Cherry Corals-T-5 only, 10-25 No3, 0.10 po4
TSA-radion/halide/t-5, 25 no3, 0.08 po4
LivingReefOralndo-radion/t-5, no3 15-25, 0.08-0.15 po4

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba

I think thats a trend that many are noticing, and it appears to be true (anecdotally)

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients definitely matter up to a point. Where to draw the line, who knows?? We know now, that nutrients really help with coral colors. Its about finding the right balance in your own system, like Bubba has :)

uw664323780009 w.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubba

I don’t think so because on my previous tank my no3 ran around 1ppm nitrate and .01-.05 po4. I ran radions on two frag tanks that were all connected to that same water.

I honestly don’t think nutrient levels matter whether it’s low or high. The only problem with low levels is if you don’t feed enough to make up for having nothing for the corals to feed on. Not that the corals actual eat it but you need some food in the tank to break down to feed them. If you have no nutrients or food you will have issues.

I think people who are having issues it’s not because of their elevated nutrients.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna drag @Mr V in. Many know how nice his tank was and somewhere in his original thread he mentioned he didn’t have success until his nutrients were elevated. If I remember correctly he said his were at 50 ppm when the success started happening.

Other examples are Sanjay or JBNY who won tank of the month when his phosphate was 1.0 (not .1 or .01).

I’m not saying you need or want these high levels but simply feed your tank and don’t worry about it as your tank will be okay.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients definitely matter up to a point. Where to draw the line, who knows?? We know now, that nutrients really help with coral colors. Its about finding the right balance in your own system, like Bubba has :)

uw664323780009 w.jpg
You can’t come in here and show us those gorgeous corals without telling us where to find more info about them!
Build thread anywhere?

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so because on my previous tank my no3 ran around 1ppm nitrate and .01-.05 po4. I ran radions on two frag tanks that were all connected to that same water.

I honestly don’t think nutrient levels matter whether it’s low or high. The only problem with low levels is if you don’t feed enough to make up for having nothing for the corals to feed on. Not that the corals actual eat it but you need some food in the tank to break down to feed them. If you have no nutrients or food you will have issues.

I think people who are having issues it’s not because of their elevated nutrients.

Personally I think the secret to success with sps is having a good Tang to Arco ratio and ignoring numbers.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No build threads, we should. We set up and take care of hundreds of tanks. Led, t5, mh.. Every tank is sooo different. Nutrient levels are all over the place and so different :)

Back