Bubble tip anemone Help

JRADD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was hoping I could get some help and direction. Brought this smaller green bubble tip home the other day and it has not seemed to be doing well. It has a good foothold on the rock but has not moved from where I placed it originally. It deflated and seemed to expel some waste yesterday. Towards bedtime last night it seemed to have been doing better but when i woke this morning the mouth was opened again. Is this normal behavior or does it appear to be dying? any help will be greatly appreciated.

bubble.JPG bubble 2.JPG bubble 3.JPG

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'll take a crack at it.
How old is your tank? What type of filtration are you using, mechanical/chemical? What lights are you running? What spectrum and what intensity? What are your nitrate and ammonia lvls? How big is the tank and what type of fish are in there? Temperature?

OP
OP
JRADD87

JRADD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I'll take a crack at it.
How old is your tank? What type of filtration are you using, mechanical/chemical? What lights are you running? What spectrum and what intensity? What are your nitrate and ammonia lvls? How big is the tank and what type of fish are in there? Temperature?

I will try my best to answer these. I have found this week that i still have alot to learn and a few things I was doing wrong.

How old is your tank? Tank is roughly about 5 months. What type of filtration are you using. Using the stock filtration currently that came with the 9 gallon fluval flex. What lights are you running? Running an AI prime 16. What spectrum and what intensity?mainly running blues with a 3hr ramp with some whites but no more then 10%. shows the power output on the lamp to be 17w-33w at peak hours. What are your nitrate and ammonia lvls? so this is where I am learning that i still have a huge learning curve with. the local store i was going to was having me use the easy strips and everything per those strips has been solid. nitrates between 20-40, nitrite between 0-0.5, alkalinity showed to be in an ideal range of 300, ph around 8.4 and ammonia around .5. per my discussion with another store I am in the process of ordering more precise kits.How big is the tank and what type of fish are in there? 9 gallon with two oscilarous clowns, a dragonette, and a royal gamma. Temperature? 78

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that's alot of fish for a 9gallon with stock filtration, also unless you have a large pod population that dragonette will most likely starve if he doesn't accept frozen food. What is the filtration I think it's just some gfo or chemiclean and some wierd ceramic media? If so I'd recommend ditching the media use filter floss and try to implement a refegium back there. As for lights you need to have a certain spectrum for corals to grow, I'd recommend going to YouTube and looking up BRS and how they implement the ab+ spectrum on ai prime but also lower your settings down you don't want to hit your tank with to much light. Your nitrates are wayyyy to high, that is probably the main cause of your anemone atm. Although it could be from other contributing factors as well.
What is your salinity lvl and how are you testing it? Do you make your own saltwater? If so what do you use, if not where do you get your water?
Also I would avoid using testing strips with nano tanks, every test leaves behind some chemical in the water.

Houstoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think currently your overall bio load on your 9 gall system is to much to handle at 5 month olds. I'd return both the royal Gramma and dragonette and do several 4-5 gallon water changes throughout the week to help get the nitrates down.

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The anenome is definately stressed, especially if it's not used to high nitrates.

I thought 5 fish in a 50G was a heavy load... for a system that small i would donate the gramma.. and hope the mandarin survives.. keep up with those water changes. Purchase Red Sea Nitrate/Phos, it works well.
Also your phosphate may be pretty high..

The maintenance to keep so many fish in a nano may come with a price.
I'm confident the anemone will pull through if you keep your nitrates low.

OP
OP
JRADD87

JRADD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think currently your overall bio load on your 9 gall system is to much to handle at 5 month olds. I'd return both the royal Gramma and dragonette and do several 4-5 gallon water changes throughout the week to help get the nitrates down.

little update this evening. At this point it is looking a bit better. I went to the LFS for piece of mind regarding the water and everything tested out ok. Salinity was slightly low. I have been buying the water for the changes from the LFS. I have had the dragonette has been doing well at this point. I have a copapod population as well as have been successful with getting the him to eat both misis and pellets. I will definitely look at the youtube videos regarding the lighting. thanks for all the info. really appreciate it.

nem .JPG

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a old school reefer( 5 decades) and the best advice I can give is leave it a lone, wait and watch. I'd also give it a very small meal and see if it will eat. But that's just me.

OP
OP
JRADD87

JRADD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a old school reefer( 5 decades) and the best advice I can give is leave it a lone, wait and watch. I'd also give it a very small meal and see if it will eat. But that's just me.
Thanks, that is the plan currently. Hoping for the best.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back