Bubble tip anemone hiding

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, we introduced a white bubble tip anemone into our tank this weekend and it's hiding. Is this normal? How am I supposed to feed it when it's under a rock hiding? I don't want to mess with it and stress it out.

OP
OP
KelBell3113

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looked like before I went to bed last night. Sorry for poor quality only my actinic light was on. When I got up this morning he is now under that rock. Will my 2 peppermint shrimps or emerald crabs bother it? They don't bother anyone else in the tank usually.

IMG_20160827_224734893.jpg

OP
OP
KelBell3113

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 gal biocube. Been set up since beginning of July. Water quality is great. Had my LFS test it just to be sure my testing was accurate before buying the anemone. We add vitamins once per week when we do a water change. We have an actinic light and a 10,000k daylight as well. Other critters in the tank are astraea snails, nassarius snails, bumblebee snails, nerite snails, emerald crabs, blue leg hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp. Tank is very peaceful.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White bubble tip anemone don't exist, it's rly bleached and most probably won't last to long in your DT

KPreston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a bubble tip and it also went very bleached white at one point. I found the best way to pull it back from that state (obviously making sure your tank parameters are on point) is to direct feed it small pieces of shrimp. Took a couple days, regained it's pink'ness', and did great. Unfortunately I ended up getting rid of it in the long run anyways, too hard to maintain in a nano in my opinion. Not in possible but, needs a lot of personal care and I work and school full time so, not for me right now. On the plus side, when the bubble tip was weak, shrinking down, and pale white, nothing in the tank bothered it so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't think you should have an issue of anything trying to eat it unless it dies in your tank. Best of luck!

KPreston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the mouth in the picture looks like he is agitated. I would try and move some rocks and feed him if you can. To tag on to what I previously said, until mine had recovered I direct fed him daily and checked my water parameters daily. The happier it is the less likely it will move around.

OP
OP
KelBell3113

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a direct feeding of shrimp to it. It closed up when I squirted some to it but has reopened. I'm a stay at home mom so I have the time to care for it. I just hope it recovers. I'm going to do small feedings every day til I see some improvement. Here's to hoping I can help it recover!

RushReefer2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recovered one that was a fraction of this size and solid white to about the same size and full of color. High light, moderate flow, and lots of food. Not a big chunk like you'd feed a large bta, but lots of smaller pieces. If you've got brine or mysis, they’ll work. Dedicate a half cube a day until it recovers. I have no doubt that you'll be able to save it and that it will turn out well. Good luck!

OP
OP
KelBell3113

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that gives me some hope! We have very good water flow and lights. I have been feeding it brine shrimp. It closes up completely throughout the day but doesn't stay that way. Most of the time it's partially open and the mouth is closed so I'm hoping it'll recover

RushReefer2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's okay! My rainbow bta randomly out of nowhere started closing up all day long for about 2 weeks straight. Every other coral was happy as could be so I never found out the cause but sure enough, he broke out of it and acted normal again. You'll do fine! Keep us updated! c:

Back