Budget lights ?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The viparspectras is 165w will that overpower my tank ?
It will overpower if you turn up all of the channels. I would start low and slowly increase until you find a right spot. You need to use a par meter to know if it’s too much light or not

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a 4 bulb 24" t-5 light fixture check eBay or the market place on here. You can place the light directly over tank or on the tank if you use a glass top. I know glass top.... is bad, it keeps the heat in and you get salt creep on it. Its really not that bad if you clean it once a week. No need to be hanging it in the middle of the room, unless that's the look you are going for. The leds I get it, are the new tech, you get the cool shimmer effect, storms etc. But unless you want to pay for all the bells and whistles and have a heavy bill up front t-5's are the way to go. Since he is looking for a low budget light, the leds seem over kill. Plus personally the LEDs are light throwers, they light the whole room with these things hanging 2 feet in the air. I know my wife was never game on having the living room look like a NYC club with blue leds on. Plus I could never keep my tank without a cover. The cats would be going swimming. I have been using t-5 since the early 2000's when they came out. I have tried some of the leds fixtures and went back to t-5, I would rather change the bulbs once a year. The savings is really not there on your electric bill unless you live in a high cost area. I have grown clams, rbta, arcos, & Monti's etc all under t-5's.
They sound better I will have a look thanks !

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not a bad suggestion, BUT keep in mind that T5s need to be replaced after a set hours of use. thats a cost that you should consider.
Oh right ok thank you I didn’t know about that I will also ask my lfs for their recommendations

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The savings is really not there on your electric bill unless you live in a high cost area
The cost savings of an LED is not really about the electric bill (though they are more efficient) it is about the bulb changes. T5 bulbs as you say are a yearly (at least) replacement cost if you want consistent color. Just a couple years of bulb replacements pays for a cheap blackbox fixture. 4 or 5 years pays for name brand quality fixture (which generally do not have many of the issues you are concerned about with LED.... throwing light across the room, etc).

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly you asked the right group of people for suggestions. A lfs may try to sell you something you don’t need or want. If it were me buying lights at that budget I wouldn’t even consider anything other than viparspectra. A little more noopsyche more controllability.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly you asked the right group of people for suggestions. A lfs may try to sell you something you don’t need or want. If it were me buying lights at that budget I wouldn’t even consider anything other than viparspectra. A little more noopsyche more controllability.
That’s true actually I will have to try find one that is the right size for my tank

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The viparspectra lights say they are for plants on the website ?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have made the decision yet but look at this. I have a bigger version and do everything what I can wish for. You may even find it cheaper

£175.87 6% Off | AQUANEST Mobile WIFI APP control Full spectrum seawater coral aquarium led lights imitation sunrise sunset pattern multiple

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your looking at the wrong ones then should look like this
699B8362-F8F0-47F3-8C02-D90663C21969.png

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have made the decision yet but look at this. I have a bigger version and do everything what I can wish for. You may even find it cheaper

£175.87 6% Off | AQUANEST Mobile WIFI APP control Full spectrum seawater coral aquarium led lights imitation sunrise sunset pattern multiple
Ah this looks really good thank you
Your looking at the wrong ones then should look like this
699B8362-F8F0-47F3-8C02-D90663C21969.png
I went on the website to see if there where smaller ones as 165w will overpower my tank so I will have to find the right website this time

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah this looks really good thank you

I went on the website to see if there where smaller ones as 165w will overpower my tank so I will have to find the right website this time
these lights have 2 channels and you will control them at 1% increments each.
So dont run them at 100% :)

I run my Viparspectra 300W version at 55% blue and 15% white.

The instructions say start at 5% on both channels in the beginning to get a good feel for them and let the tank acclimate to the light.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these lights have 2 channels and you will control them at 1% increments each.
So dont run them at 100% :)

I run my Viparspectra 300W version at 55% blue and 15% white.

The instructions say start at 5% on both channels in the beginning to get a good feel for them and let the tank acclimate to the light.
Oh right I didn’t know thank you !

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cheap !!

go to a hydroponic store and buy one of their t5ho grow fixtures .
They come in 4-8 bulb configurations.
Various lengths and mount it above your tank .
They are cheaper and as long as you put reef bulbs . They will grow anything !

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Chinese black boxes I got when I upgraded to this current larger tank .
I didn’t think the 3 of them would be enough for sps over a 72” tank so I used the t5ho setup I had .

I am debating selling them or keeping them for a future frag tank build .

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back