Budget lights ?

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know any good lighting for a 20 gal reef for under £100 ($137.40) if possible ?
I would like to keep Xenia’s , torches , brain corals mainly Softies or SPS really there aren’t many LPS I like but if I do like them then I REALLY like them
I have seen the £20- £40 ones on Amazon / eBay but I’m a bit put off at the price as I fear they won’t be good enough for corals
Any help would be appreciated

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to pickup a blackbox Chinese LED for around 100$. I use to run a couple of the "Evergrow" brands and they grew pretty much everything i put under them. Start low and ramp up as they have alot of power. I would also recommend popping open the case and inspecting solder joints and whatnot prior to leaving them on unattended.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Viparspectra would do well. Might need to mount it a bit high though.
£119 ! Well I guess the reefing hobby isn’t cheap that’s one thing I’ve learned ! But it’s probably worth it rather than getting a cheaper one then upgrading later on

BHHOWARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a review Bulk Reef Supply did of some of the "black box" lights. At the end they compare that to the Aqua Illumination Prime HD 16. Maybe you can find a used AI that fits within your budget?
BRS Black Box Video

Here's the thread on the their AI testing. They don't specifically list a 20 gallon tank, but you could use some of their numbers for their cubes that has the most approximate height and length.
BRS AI Prime HD 16 Post

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a review Bulk Reef Supply did of some of the "black box" lights. At the end they compare that to the Aqua Illumination Prime HD 16. Maybe you can find a used AI that fits within your budget?
BRS Black Box Video

Here's the thread on the their AI testing. They don't specifically list a 20 gallon tank, but you could use some of their numbers for their cubes that has the most approximate height and length.
BRS AI Prime HD 16 Post
I have seen a fluval evo 52L would that work as my tank is 80L?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I found a really nice fluval sea light but it is 36 inches and my tank is 25 inches so does anyone know what I could do ? will that light work ? do I have to get a £225 one ?

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Marine light has the absolute minimum of par. You might get away with some easy to keep softies, nothing more. That light should only be used for FOWLR. Idk why they advertise it as reef.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Marine light has the absolute minimum of par. You might get away with some easy to keep softies, nothing more. That light should only be used for FOWLR. Idk why they advertise it as reef.
What brand would work bette then in only planning to keep softies and maybe some lps

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ViparSpectra lights on my 125 and I really like them. They're far from the best lights out there but when looking for budget lights they're a good choice in my opinion.
I saw one and I really liked it but wasn’t sure of quality but I will get it for sure now thanks :D

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out NiCrew black boxes. Budget friendly and good quality. I’m running their 30watt Hyper Reef with controller over my Nano tank and EVERYTHING is thriving.
8124FFC1-7B11-46CA-B4B1-4F8D3E5DBA8B.jpeg

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am currently using Viparspectras and they can grow any coral. I mostly have acros, so it should be more than enough for you!

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand would work bette then in only planning to keep softies and maybe some lps
With your budget, hmmm...
either a Noopsyche K7 PRO II, a used Kessil a160WE, a used AI Prime, a Viparspectra (a bit of an overkill), could probably find a T5HO light for 4 bulbs and swap those out on a schedule i guess.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out NiCrew black boxes. Budget friendly and good quality. I’m running their 30watt Hyper Reef with controller over my Nano tank and EVERYTHING is thriving.
8124FFC1-7B11-46CA-B4B1-4F8D3E5DBA8B.jpeg
Great thanks
Are they ‘dodgy’ if you like understand what i mean

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using Viparspectras and they can grow any coral. I mostly have acros, so it should be more than enough for you!
The viparspectras is 165w will that overpower my tank ?

Attachments

• FAA6E960-9FFB-42B1-884A-3D55A5AE120A.jpeg
    FAA6E960-9FFB-42B1-884A-3D55A5AE120A.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 31

onegreenray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a 4 bulb 24" t-5 light fixture check eBay or the market place on here. You can place the light directly over tank or on the tank if you use a glass top. I know glass top.... is bad, it keeps the heat in and you get salt creep on it. Its really not that bad if you clean it once a week. No need to be hanging it in the middle of the room, unless that's the look you are going for. The leds I get it, are the new tech, you get the cool shimmer effect, storms etc. But unless you want to pay for all the bells and whistles and have a heavy bill up front t-5's are the way to go. Since he is looking for a low budget light, the leds seem over kill. Plus personally the LEDs are light throwers, they light the whole room with these things hanging 2 feet in the air. I know my wife was never game on having the living room look like a NYC club with blue leds on. Plus I could never keep my tank without a cover. The cats would be going swimming. I have been using t-5 since the early 2000's when they came out. I have tried some of the leds fixtures and went back to t-5, I would rather change the bulbs once a year. The savings is really not there on your electric bill unless you live in a high cost area. I have grown clams, rbta, arcos, & Monti's etc all under t-5's.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back