budget macro lens for a nikon?

acro86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d5000X?????????? when did they start making that model?
I use to use an old school tamron90mm MF and it was the poop. I found it on CL up in Austin for 30 bucks, yep thats right 30 bucks. Some chick needed to get a book. So try CL, and try college citys, surounding areas, and reef sites.

My whole camera bag was stolen, the lense was in the bag.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I see this lens on ebay.
Is this something that would work?

Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro Adaptall

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Tamron 90mm for my D40 and it autofocuses just fine

+1 Have the same - The newer version (out about a year) does autofocus on the D40 - Great lens. Rarely use the Autofocus though, most shots are macro and virtually require manual focus.

stuckey_t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone provide a link to the newer version that has the autofocus for us camera newbs. I would also use this on a nikon D40....thanks for your help!!!

amashun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are serious into macro, you'll need a good tripod and manual focus macro lens IMO.

I use Tamron SP90 1:1 macro lens, it has build in motor for auto focus but i rarely use it. All my pic were taken in manual focus so you can control your focus point. here are some of my tank, not the best but it does an OK job.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f54/few-pics-my-tank-34230.html

if you use macro and extension tube together, it will give you more closer pic :D
weird.jpg

HTH

Last edited:

ness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a Tamron 90mm for awhile now..

My thoughts..

Pros-
Very Sharp (Rivals Nikon 105mm)
A/M focus push/pull is a lot nicer than a little switch like most lenses
Great Color

Cons-
Horrible Auto-Focus, I don't use it anyway but it sucks bad.. hunts all day even on simple objects. Which is weird cause my other Tamron lens has amazing auto-focus.
Plastic construction, drop it once and its done

Bottom line is if auto-focus is important to you which contrary to popular belief can be very important with a macro lens at times.. then stick to the Nikon 105mm. If your on a budget and are willing to go manual 95% of the time stick with the Tamron.

joelq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a quality lens in a budget you can buy a used Nikon 105mm F2.8 Ai-s Manual Focus Lens. The lens was used in film cameras. You will have no auto focus and no mettering. With some trial and error using the LCD display you will find the correct exposure.

I have this lens and use it with my D60 and my macros are sharp! It is known as being one of the sharpest lenses Nikon have ever made. Designed to focus close for macro work right down to 1:1.

The good thing is that I purchased mine in very good condition at ebay for $185. You will have to watch for deals in this lens since good offers will appear only from time to time.

+1. This is the route I've gone with my D60. With macro photography, autofocus and vibration reduction (VR) are of minimal use anyway, so the classic manual focus macros are perfect.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back