Building a catwalk around the tank

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am wanting to build a catwalk around my tank. I need to be able to work easily around the tank, and reach the front glass since the tank is in wall.

The plan is to build the catwalk 3ft high and out of wood. I want it to be about 24" wide to walk on and free standing. I will use some metal self tapping screws screwed into the metal tank stand to help keep the catwalk stable. I talked to Planet Aquariums and they said that would be ok.

I already picked up some 2x8's and 2x4's with screws.

I NEED SOME GUIDANCE! :D

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I'd build in a couple sections and not be building up high, just have a game plan first. Once done all your doing is holding up with screwing into place. You can always skin once the frame is in place.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it was me I'd build in a couple sections and not be building up high, just have a game plan first. Once done all your doing is holding up with screwing into place. You can always skin once the frame is in place.

I should have mentioned that I want to keep it as open as possible under so I can have access under the tank. Nothing special under there just wanting access. I also want the catwalk to go all the way around. I need it EASY to get in!

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have mentioned that I want to keep it as open as possible under so I can have access under the tank. Nothing special under there just wanting access. I also want the catwalk to go all the way around. I need it EASY to get in!
You only would have to skin the top ;). Doing an L shape I would make 2 frames to make the L, then add on the stairs. Using 1/2 -3/4 to walk on.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You only would have to skin the top ;). Doing an L shape I would make 2 frames to make the L, then add on the stairs. Using 1/2 -3/4 to walk on.

I was thinking three frames for a U shaped catwalk. I have some nice furniture grade plywood for the top.

My problem is I need some advice on how to build the frame.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Diesel bud could you give me some input?

I will also use the same input for building a stand for my sump and frag rack.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you completely set on having it built in? That would be awesome to always have a step there...easy to access the tank, don't have to lift the kids up to see in...no ladder to move around.

But, would something like this work?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metaltech-4-ft-x-41-in-x-23-in-Steel-Portable-Scaffold/3915158

You could use it for the tank, as a cart, and to do other work. Plus it would fold up out of the way if you needed extra room.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you completely set on having it built in? That would be awesome to always have a step there...easy to access the tank, don't have to lift the kids up to see in...no ladder to move around.

But, would something like this work?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metaltech-4-ft-x-41-in-x-23-in-Steel-Portable-Scaffold/3915158

You could use it for the tank, as a cart, and to do other work. Plus it would fold up out of the way if you needed extra room.

Oh wow now I am rethinking all this with something like you have suggested!

Coral Frenzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this portable scaffold. It is great for painting rooms and it folds up nicely. I would probably go that route unless you made a catwalk that folded down when you didn't need it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the portable idea. That way You can see how it works and make changes later.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to go with the plywood catwalk, I can offer some guidance.
I built a catwalk for a fellow local member (@Jonty) that wrapped around the three sides.

Each section of the catwalk was built with 3/4" plywood with 2x4 legs.
I built a shallow box from 3-4" plywood rips that I glued and pocket screwed to the underside of the catwalk. I then added some support "joists" that formed pockets for the 2x4 legs. The legs slid into the pockets and then could be screwed to the plywood joists and the outer "box" for added stability.
One of the nice functions of doing it with "removable" legs was that it was a tight fit that wouldn't allow a completed catwalk to be installed and that it will store nice and flat if ever removed.
Since the tank stand was built with lumber, the catwalk could be attached to the stand with wood screws to make it very sturdy and stable.

I don't think I have any pictures of the catwalk, but Jon might.

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this portable scaffold. It is great for painting rooms and it folds up nicely. I would probably go that route unless you made a catwalk that folded down when you didn't need it.
I'd happily go this route ... it becomes a multi-purpose platform tool that does need to be up all the time. For what it's worth it would be my preference, instead of having something that permanently erected all the time. Just my 2 cents.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd either go with one of these type systems or just build a deck around it.

IMG_1477658392.779492.jpg

IMG_1477658401.022396.jpg

IMG_1477658407.542208.jpg

These are called mobile steel work platforms. You could purchase 3 separate ones or have a company custom design a single unit on wheels that can be rolled in and out. It has locking wheels on the ends , and they are very secure. I use them daily in the steel mill. They are very strong and built to last. They are also OSHA certified.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a catwalk that is attached to the stand with heavy duty hinges...that way you can fold it up when you want to get to the underside of the tank....you could make the legs fold in and out to streamline the catwalk when not in use....kind of like a dinner table in a small travel trailer...but much more heavy duty of course...

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build it exactly like a tank stand with wood (not screws) supporting the platform down to the floor. Use plywood on the edges as well as the top for protection against racking.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back