Building an 'evil cluster' - DIY LED on steroids

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, wanted to share my upcoming rebuild/addition to my current lighting over my 80g, with a 30g plumbed next to it. The 80 measures 48"x24"x16" and the 30 measures 24"x24"x13".

Top view.
LEDlayout.png

Front view, both tanks.
frontviewbothtanks.png

Side view, top tank.
sideviewtoptank.png

Side view, bottom tank.
sideviewbottomtank.png

Specifics:

Main tank:
4x Bridgelux BXRA-40E950-B-00 4000Kneutral white
12x Luxeon M royal blue 450-455nm
8x Luxeon Rebel cool blue 475-480nm
6x Luxeon Rebel cyan 490-495nm
32x LEDgroupBuy hyper violet 430nm

Side tank:
1x Bridgelux BXRA-40E1350-B-00 4000K neutral white
4x Luxeon M royal blue 450-455nm
3x Luxeon Rebel cool blue 475-480nm
2x Luxeon Rebel cyan 490-495nm
12x LEDgroupBuy hyper violet 430nm

The hyper violet will be run on Meanwell LDD-700HW, the rest will be run on LDD-1000HW. I estimate this should be able to net me 500 PAR on my sandbed with everything at 100%, less on the smaller tank, but that one will be dedicated to more LPS than SPS.

All will be controlled by my Reef Angel once I get that all set up, but probably by my Typhon if the RA isn't ready yet.

Now, some of you might be thinking 'yeah, but those aren't Cree, so they're gonna suck, you shouldn't waste your money, blah blah blah'. Poppycock.

The Bridgelux chips are superior to even Cree XM-L, in total output and in phosphor technology. The 950-B push 2080+ lumens at 1000ma (23w), and the 1350-B pushes 3050+ at 1000ma (32w), both at a 4000K color temperature. Take a peek at the datasheet here: http://www.bridgelux.com/assets/files/DS24 Bridgelux ES Rectangle Array Data Sheet DS24 120312.pdf

The Luxeon M are gonna be beasts. They are bin C5G - so 4400-4600mW, 11.0-11.5v, and 450-455nm at 700ma (8 watts), which means at 1000ma (11 watts) they'll push out 5800-6000mW each! For reference, the next closest LEDs are top bins of the Rebel ES royal blue 'M' bin at 2100mW and the XT-E royal blue 'Q' bin at 1950mW (both LEDs at 1500ma, so 5 watts each). (note, the Rebel ES output was adjusted to 85°C to match the binning of the XT-E) Find the datasheet to the M, Rebel Color, and XT-E.

Optics will be different pretty much for each LED. The Bridgelux chips on the main tank will have Ledil Brooke-W reflectors, which are 50° FWHM, so effective 100°. On the little tank, the Bridgelux will have Ledil Brooke-S 24°, so 50° effective - a bit wide to be really effective at such a distance (will be 28" from the top of the tank), but it's really all I can get for these chips. They are physically huge - the diodes are like 19mm wide. For comparison, a 'normal' LED star is 20mm, with the diodes being 3-4mm across. Big is an understatement :)

Not sure what optics the M will have, but probably Ledil Minnie reflectors. They're expensive (about $40 for the 16x I need), but they're high-efficiency and quality. The other LEDs will have standard optics, matching the main LEDs, but with the hyper violet having tighter optics to focus their light to only the corals. Since we can't really see that violet light, it won't be distracting having tight optics. The illustrations above don't particularly show how I want those optics, I'm pretty sure I messed that up. :p

The Bridgelux LEDs, their reflectors and holders, the heatsinks, and 48VDC power supplies are all ordered. I'm waiting on Steve from Steve's LEDs to get back to me about optics for the M and see what they can get before ordering the Minnie, but the M should be to them next week, and then hopefully to me a few days after that. They already have the copper MCPCB for them, thermal testing on them is super promising, since having so much power drawn from a diode with a small footprint (7mm square, versus 19mm square for the Bridgelux) can be a pretty big issue as far as thermals go, so it takes a better PCB to mount them to.

After that, I'll just need the Meanwell LDD (once LEDgroupbuy gets them back in stock on the 30th I'll order them) and then get the hyper violet as well.

(for anyone wondering about the name 'evil cluster' that haven't seen anything about it previously, it's a throwback to Clive Bentley [evilc66]'s original design that was originally just a test of a new heatsink, yet turned out to be a halide killer, see here, here, and here for more info)

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Looking forward to seeing how it comes along!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

tidus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i was LED illiterate so i could understand the hieroglyphics you just wrote.. i want to build my own LEDs for my new tank as well.. just dont even know where to start

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be breaking it down into what I got and what goes with what and how it goes together, with links to everything. :)

Also, to reiterate, the Bridgelux chips that I am using are NOT the "Bridgelux" like what Aquastyle sells and what you'll find on eBay and in those Chinese fixtures. Those LEDs are NOT Bridgelux, despite the labeling. The only '3w' LED that Bridgelux makes is royal blue. http://www.bridgelux.com/assets/products_portfolio/BXCE45Datasheetrev7-14-2011.pdf

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool can't wait to see the build!

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jedimasterben

Looks like a decent build.

What optics are you planning to use to minimize the light spill you diagrammed???

Personally I'm a big fan of less light on the glass and more on the sand bed for my clams.

As is you can use a tighter optic than in your program and move the fixture slightly forward and angle back with better results....More PAR On Coral Less Algae on Glass/Acrylic

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jedimasterben

Looks like a decent build.

What optics are you planning to use to minimize the light spill you diagrammed???

Personally I'm a big fan of less light on the glass and more on the sand bed for my clams.

As is you can use a tighter optic than in your program and move the fixture slightly forward and angle back with better results....More PAR On Coral Less Algae on Glass/Acrylic

Bill
The optics will be 100% Ledil reflectors on the big chips, Brooke for the Bridgelux and Minnie for the M. The light angles I have on the diagram are actually the maximum cone of light for the reflectors. They are FWHM rated, so the Brooke 50 degree actually emit in a 100 degree cone, but the first 50 degrees is where the real intensity is, so although it does look like there will be lots of light hitting the glass, it should be minimal.

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhhhhh im excited.... i want to see what those royal blues look like!!!

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahhhhhhh im excited.... i want to see what those royal blues look like!!!
They're pretty much gonna be blinding lol

Are those steves drivers?
No, they are Meanwell LDD. Steve's drivers are just basic PCB with CAT4101 chips that run on 24v, these run on 48v and are enclosed. And far cheaper overall, ie, Steve's double driver is $23 and can run 14x LEDs across two strings, an LDD is $7 and can run 15x LEDs on one string.

tidus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BOOM THAT JUST HAPPENED! they look great im stoked to copy your design....

i mean.. watch the build

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the cost on building a led system? I'm looking in to buying 2 48" stunner strips and that like 230$ so what how much to do a DIY one instead? oh great build tagging along can't wait to see finished.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the cost on building a led system? I'm looking in to buying 2 48" stunner strips and that like 230$ so what how much to do a DIY one instead? oh great build tagging along can't wait to see finished.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
I'll send you a PM in a bit.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back