Buildup inside Vortech L2 Pump, is it rust?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Exus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Exus

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2021
Messages
101
Reaction score
15
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My L2 pump wouldn't turn on, so I took it apart and noticed a lot of buildup on the impeller and inside of the pump. It's rust like color, but there is also some white. Is it just residue from dosing or is it actually rust or could be calcium buildup? Also the black internal plastic of the pump seems to also be coming off. It's been maybe 8 months since I last cleaned it. Everything is doing great in my sps tank. I'll be sending off an icp.

I tried turning the pump on after cleaning, but it's still showing red light on controller, which is a stall.

Any feedback is great.

1000009456.jpg
1000009461.jpg
 
Last edited:
Looks burnt and scorched. Almost like water wasn’t able to get behind the propeller plate. Are the holes clogged. What are your dosing and do you run socks on your sump to limit what is going through the pump.
 
Looks burnt and scorched. Almost like water wasn’t able to get behind the propeller plate. Are the holes clogged. What are your dosing and do you run socks on your sump to limit what is going through the pump.
I dosed All for Reef, and Waterglass for about 8 month to fight dinos.

I checked the app, and the status was Thermistor Error, I thought the red light meant stall, but apparently not.

I cleaned the pump so now it's spotless, but still no good.

1000009467.jpg
 
wanted to follow back up this. Curious if you ever got it working again. Today I was actually Cleaning my pumps so I got a photo of the holes I was previously referring too. This are the holes that you want to make sure are always clog free. These can easily be overlooked when wiping all the gunk off the propeller.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 26
wanted to follow back up this. Curious if you ever got it working again. Today I was actually Cleaning my pumps so I got a photo of the holes I was previously referring too. This are the holes that you want to make sure are always clog free. These can easily be overlooked when wiping all the gunk off the propeller.
I sent it to EcoTech for repair, they wanted $300 to fix it. I just asked for the broken pump back and got a $90 return pump off Amazon lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new