Bulb selection for 8-bulb ATI

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, from front to back, which slots are controlled by the 2 switch plug and which slots control the other 6?

Anyone run or recommend a 6500k bulb anymore?

How about a purple plus/super purple?

I have have a mix of ATI and Giesemann bulbs at this time. I have ATI blue plus, Gman aquablue coral, gman actinic blue, ATI purple plus and Gman super purple.

I am thinking 5 actinic blue/blue plus, 2 aquablue coral and 1 super purple/purple plus.

Thoughts?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulbs 3&6 are on one channel. The rest on another.

It really comes down to taste. How blue or how warm do you like your tank. Kelvin wise. You can grow acropora with all blue+ bulbs. And you can grow zoas with all 6500k bulbs. It just depends on what you like. I like a much brighter more daylight looking tank. Your proposed bulb combo will work fine. Some people would find it hideously white/yellow. I’d find it very blue. It’s all about perspective honestly

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulbs 3&6 are on one channel. The rest on another.

It really comes down to taste. How blue or how warm do you like your tank. Kelvin wise. You can grow acropora with all blue+ bulbs. And you can grow zoas with all 6500k bulbs. It just depends on what you like. I like a much brighter more daylight looking tank. Your proposed bulb combo will work fine. Some people would find it hideously white/yellow. I’d find it very blue. It’s all about perspective honestly

Thank you.

Yeah, I agree on your premise of taste. I think I prefer something between 14k and 20k.

I'm planning front to back:

1) Blue Plus
2) Aqua Blue Coral
3) Blue Plus- Dusk/Dawn
4) Blue Plus
5) Purple Plus
6) Blue Plus- Dusk/Dawn
7) Aqua Blue Coral
8) Blue Plus

I do find the combo of 5 BPs to 2 whiter bulbs and a whatever else (actinic, purple plus etc) on the blue side.

I'm most uncertain about the purple bulb. Not a huge fan of it on a 4 bulb fixture. Doesn't seem to blend well. I'm thinking it will on an 8 bulb, 5 bulbs back, hopefully. Not sure if there's much of a benefit to the purple plus, but the more full spectrum the better, right?

Anyone else have thoughts on the 6500k? I knows it is super high par, but it is yellow. Not sure if it will blend in with 8 bulbs or not. If I went with one, it would be in the 5th spot in place of the purple plus, I think.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Yeah, I agree on your premise of taste. I think I prefer something between 14k and 20k.

I'm planning front to back:

1) Blue Plus
2) Aqua Blue Coral
3) Blue Plus- Dusk/Dawn
4) Blue Plus
5) Purple Plus
6) Blue Plus- Dusk/Dawn
7) Aqua Blue Coral
8) Blue Plus

I do find the combo of 5 BPs to 2 whiter bulbs and a whatever else (actinic, purple plus etc) on the blue side.

I'm most uncertain about the purple bulb. Not a huge fan of it on a 4 bulb fixture. Doesn't seem to blend well. I'm thinking it will on an 8 bulb, 5 bulbs back, hopefully. Not sure if there's much of a benefit to the purple plus, but the more full spectrum the better, right?

Anyone else have thoughts on the 6500k? I knows it is super high par, but it is yellow. Not sure if it will blend in with 8 bulbs or not. If I went with one, it would be in the 5th spot in place of the purple plus, I think.

I use 2 - 6500k bulbs right now and would happily use a 3rd or even a 4th. The giesemann tropic has a nice pronounced peak in the 480-500 range which is readily absorbed by diatoxanthin and carotenoid pigments. I’m not a biologist but I’m convinced this is a big reason why 6500k tropic bulbs help in developing more rich pinks, oranges and reds. Pairing each 6500k with a blue+ just has a net result of a roughly 10k appearance. Any additional blue beyond that will drive the kelvin higher overall.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was using T5s, I would use 6500k and True Actinic for one or two pairs. They can produce color that other bulbs cannot.

OP
OP
K

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I think I'll get an actinic and 6500k to have a play around with.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back