Calcium reactors - Battlecorals method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Adam,

I was wondering if you'd share your method of setting up, running and maintaining a calcium reactor. I've read through a few of your posts and have tried to glean all those secrets but I feel like there might be a couple of missing pieces.

Just thought I'd ask and appreciate your help.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Right on, yeah this is a subject of a write up I started years ago and never got back to. Ultimately i am pretty old fashioned with my reactor setups. Running the ph probe with an apex now but i ran them for years with out any controller. The real key is just to test alk often and i mean daily, and really get in tune to your tank demands and at what ph levels you can run in the reactor to maintain those levels. Of course there a bit more to it and and really getting the rhythm takes time but the only real secret i have is running one of these filters on the output just before the final valve to keep it from clogging. Greatest thing ever really .

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0014775601

Really old pic but this is the filter in action.
IMG_3690.jpg

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, yeah this is a subject of a write up I started years ago and never got back to. Ultimately i am pretty old fashioned with my reactor setups. Running the ph probe with an apex now but i ran them for years with out any controller. The real key is just to test alk often and i mean daily, and really get in tune to your tank demands and at what ph levels you can run in the reactor to maintain those levels. Of course there a bit more to it and and really getting the rhythm takes time but the only real secret i have is running one of these filters on the output just before the final valve to keep it from clogging. Greatest thing ever really .

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0014775601

Really old pic but this is the filter in action.
IMG_3690.jpg
Awesome! I think on your build thread you said something about running a filter on the inlet too? You said something like you just prefer to top off the media instead of cleaning it out all the time. Maybe I misread it but I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought of that! A simple fuel filter to keep the ultra low flow effluent needle valve from clogging. Brilliant!!!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome! I think on your build thread you said something about running a filter on the inlet too? You said something like you just prefer to top off the media instead of cleaning it out all the time. Maybe I misread it but I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

Indeed! I have, off and on now, ran some form mechanical filtration on the input side as well, just to help keep detritus out of the reactor. This was my latest attempt, just a simple house filter from the HW store, but I don't have a dedicated pump feeding it so as soon as the pleated filter got the slightest bit dirty flow was reduced too much to the reactor. So i pulled it out.

IMG_5777.jpg

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haye to bring back this old thread, but @Battlecorals are you still running your calcium reactor the same way or have you made the switch to a continuous duty pump? Debating of getting a new pump myself because I am having consistency issues with my effluent with filters before and after the reactor but am wondering if my flow is just too low coming out. I'm not running a pump with it at all right now, it is being gravity fed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back