Can anyone ID this stuff?

  • Thread starter Thread starter swannyson7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
6,713
Reaction score
304
Location
Bantam, Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I noticed these white oval shaped spots on one section of my live rock. At first I thought it might be coraline growing, but it's still white, so now I'm not sure. My wrasses seem to try to pick at them, but they are unable to pick them off the rock. I've tried scraping them with my finger and they seem hard, but I'm not sure if they're eggs of some sort? They aren't moving or anything and they look two dimensional, so I don't think they're flatworms. They're about 1/4" in diameter at best. Sorry for the bad pics, but does anyone have any ideas?
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg
 
Is it hard or does it come right off? at first i wanted to say a spong but then i saw the texture it almost look the like outside of a egg.
 
It's hard, but with a bit of poking & prodding I can get them to come off. They stay intact when they come off though. I'm not sure what they would be eggs from though. The only type of fish that I have more than one of is the chromis... maybe some sort of invert egg?
 
I was acualy talking about like a EGG your you would scramble. What is the bottom look like, from the pictures the rim almost look like it has little bristales coming out.
 
I believe they are a type of egg or egg enclosure. My first thought was sponge but they don't quite fit the bill.
 
The bottom is smooth as well. It doesn't seem to have the porous texture to mesh with the LR. It's almost like they're floating on top, but stuck on really well. I don't see any bristles on the edges...probably just my junky P&S camera with shaky hands and it's down to the actinics. I'll try to pop one off tomorrow and shoot a pic with the macro lens.
 
Those look like snail eggs. I forget which kind of snail, but I've seen them before in my tanks.
 
Nerite snail eggs sounds good to me. I figured with my luck that if they were snail eggs, they would be from pyramid snails or something
 
I have some of that stuff that is similar to mine!IDK what it is!
 
I agree, Nerite eggs. If you google them the pics that come up look the same.
 
Nerite snail eggs sounds good to me. I figured with my luck that if they were snail eggs, they would be from pyramid snails or something

+1 on the Nerite snail eggs. I had them all over my tank at one time then they "hatched" and I haven't seen any more and I haven't seen the babies either. My wrasse probably got them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new