Can aquarium fish go deaf?

humuhumunukunukuapua’a

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2022
Messages
5
Reaction score
4
Location
Costa Mesa
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The adhesive handle on my glass lid fell off and the lid made a sudden loud sound as it shut, will my fish suffer permanent hearing loss one of my fish is now hiding.
 
Probably just scared.. I would think the water would dampen the sound traveling through. I am sure any animal can go deaf but not from that.
 
The adhesive handle on my glass lid fell off and the lid made a sudden loud sound as it shut, will my fish suffer permanent hearing loss one of my fish is now hiding.
They do respond to sound and will startle but as we know fish have no ears but pick up sound (I believe via internal ear off the lateral line) and reac accordingly
 
Stick your ear in the water its 24/7 loud noises and motor hums, random buzzing, they must get used to it, but that could explain why some fish are always so skittish.
 
I have also learned that fish can regenerate hair cells for hearing so its probably not going to hurt them. Please do correct me if I’m wrong.
 
Last edited:
I have also learned that fish can regenerate hair cells for hearing so its probably not going to hurt them. Please do correct me if I’m wrong.
Fish don’t have ears like mammals do. They do have neuromasts in their lateral line that they use to sense vibration. A single loud sound won’t damage those, but chronic sound and some diseases can.
Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new