Can banded cat sharks get ich?

shyann47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a new banded cat shark and noticed after 3 days it had some white spots on it. Look like sand. It also looks ich. Can sharks get ich and if so how do you treat it? I know I can’t use copper. Heard kick ich won’t work. Need good advice.!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I don't have any experience with sharks, but I'll page some folks who might be able to direct you :) #reefsquad

Best of luck!!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked around and it seems that they can get ich, although they are quite resistant. As far as I know, there are no medications safe for sharks that will treat ich. I hope your shark is okay!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is possible for sharks to get ick, BUT assure it is not sand that does stick to their bodies temporarily. If ich, you can treat by dropping the salinity range to 1.018 for 5-10 days although this can weaken or kill them as they are semi-isotonic and will not thrive or probably live long in conditions under about 30ppt. You should really keep the salinity for sharks around 36ppt. If you must treat them chemically. then treat with formalin bath @ 150ppm for 10-15 min with great care or it too can kill sharks AND do not treat with copper. Only use copper with wobbegonges nurse sharks and epaulette sharks at low concentration.
Hyposalinity - NO good whatsoever IMO. I recommend Quick Cure as a means of formalin

OP
OP
S

shyann47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked around and it seems that they can get ich, although they are quite resistant. As far as I know, there are no medications safe for sharks that will treat ich. I hope your shark is okay!
Thank you I think he will be okay. I couldn’t honestly tell if it was sand or ich. I’m going to keep a close eye on him.

OP
OP
S

shyann47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible for sharks to get ick, BUT assure it is not sand that does stick to their bodies temporarily. If ich, you can treat by dropping the salinity range to 1.018 for 5-10 days although this can weaken or kill them as they are semi-isotonic and will not thrive or probably live long in conditions under about 30ppt. You should really keep the salinity for sharks around 36ppt. If you must treat them chemically. then treat with formalin bath @ 150ppm for 10-15 min with great care or it too can kill sharks AND do not treat with copper. Only use copper with wobbegonges nurse sharks and epaulette sharks at low concentration.
Hyposalinity - NO good whatsoever IMO. I recommend Quick Cure as a means of formalin
Yes I am aware not to use copper at all. I have done a lot or research because I wouldn’t want to risk it. I think he will be okay. I’m going to keep a close eye on him. Thank you for the information. If nothing changes I will definitely have to do something.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, if you could provide more info.

Did you hatch or purchase shark as pup?
How long have you had in your system?
Why is the size and filtration of your tank?
Sand depth and type? Rocks?

OP
OP
S

shyann47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, if you could provide more info.

Did you hatch or purchase shark as pup?
How long have you had in your system?
Why is the size and filtration of your tank?
Sand depth and type? Rocks?
I purchased it as a pup. It’s about 5-7 inches. Currently in a tank with a eel. I have a sunsun canister filter. Not positive on the model but I had a marine fish store order if for me knowing it was for a shark. He’s in a 60 gallon aquarium. I am getting a bigger tank but for now this is what it will be housed in. I know that’s not the min size required. It’s about 4ftx2ft. I have wet live rock in my tank about 5 of them. Not to big and not a lot. I know room is needed and I use a live sand substrate. Fine gain.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back