Can Fungia Move?

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Fungia move?

Long story short, I got my first "Fungia" coral. It looks like the green one here https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-plate-coral-orange-limit-1. Every day I come to the tank, it seems to have moved a few inches in one direction or another. I have it in the sandbed. Either the hermits/urchins are moving it (suspected), or these things can move like Anemones can. Can these move on their own? If they are getting pushed... should I be glueing the bottom of this to a big rock? Thanks!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has yours ever “inflated”? ...I’ve cudda sworn I’ve seen them get puffy and sort of float a lil, its been a while since I’ve had one tho... just making sure you get a answer...could be a better reply coming

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Fungia move?

Long story short, I got my first "Fungia" coral. It looks like the green one here https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-plate-coral-orange-limit-1. Every day I come to the tank, it seems to have moved a few inches in one direction or another. I have it in the sandbed. Either the hermits/urchins are moving it (suspected), or these things can move like Anemones can. Can these move on their own? If they are getting pushed... should I be glueing the bottom of this to a big rock? Thanks!
They can move around a little. I have seen mine move a little, though it’s probably not very controlled as they don’t have feet.:)

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has moved atleast a foot/ft and a half across my tank haha

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do move. They dont have feet, so they use the flow to slowly push themselves around.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh they definitely move. That can’t walk per se but they can inflate like a balloon and roll wherever the flow takes them as well as rise to the surface of the sand if they get buried. I have 20+ of them that I’m constantly moving. My mother colony keeps shedding babies, I’ve had literally 100+ come off it. If anyone in the Tampa area wants any green ones with a purple mouth I always have tons.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little purple rainbow that moved all the time and I swear it went looking for a fight, I hemmed it in with a couple of the big ones and it went straight over the top of them.
It decided to try it on with my elegance, I found the skeleton in the morning.

OP
OP
tablesalt

tablesalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Everytime I move it the thing ends up in the back corner. It's like thats where the current takes it. Should I just leave it be or keep putting it back under the bright lights?
20201201_174341.jpg

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Everytime I move it the thing ends up in the back corner. It's like thats where the current takes it. Should I just leave it be or keep putting it back under the bright lights?
20201201_174341.jpg
leave it. It's moving when you put it in the spot you want. If it liked that spot it would have stayed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back