Can I add more fish?

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pair of clownfish to my new 30 gallon tank last week. Ammonia and Nitrite have stayed at 0 and nitrate has remained under 40. Can I add another fish? If yes it would be a watchman goby and shrimp.

Mikey Mane The Flare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new tank, if yes I would hold off on a goby. Mine was going hungry when my tank was young. You could also seed your tank with some pods. That helps. But a 35 hex doesn’t have much bottom to it goby really like sand. Are you deep sand bed?

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a new tank, if yes I would hold off on a goby. Mine was going hungry when my tank was young. You could also seed your tank with some pods. That helps. But a 35 hex doesn’t have much bottom to it goby really like sand. Are you deep sand bed?
Not fairly new. I have a cuc and the clowns and my sand bed is atleast 2'' deep.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? You want to make sure your tank can withstand your bioload.

Are your nitrates getting lower? The same? I feel if your tank can withstand your bioload, and you can pick the right fish, that is what determines how many fish to keep in a tank.

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a month, but that's just me.
Even if my numbers are fine? i thought that was fine because it shows the bacteria was handling the ammonia. And I would assume going from two fish to 3 would shock the tank

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? You want to make sure your tank can withstand your bioload.

Are your nitrates getting lower? The same? I feel if your tank can withstand your bioload, and you can pick the right fish, that is what determines how many fish to keep in a tank.
The nitrates have stayed around 40 ever since the tank finished which was about 4 weeks ago. My tank has handled 12 snails 12 hermits and a pair of clowns well. The ammonia and nitrites are at 0. its a 30 gallon for anyone wondering

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go slow. It is less risky for your fish. Give your clowns time to settle into their new home and the tank to stabilize. Your numbers are fine, true, that is great! Adding a fish too soon may tip the balance just enough. You have nothing but time. Take a couple more weeks to research the fish you want. What do they eat? Temps to they thrive in? Do they like pistol shrimp? You may decide you want something to go with it in the mean time or your LFS may have a deal come up. Wouldn't that be great! Be patient in this hobby. It's cheaper that way!

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see you are thinking about a shrimp too. I do love mine. I have a tangaroa goby and pistol shrimp pair. Still patience is key.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to say the tank is around 2 months old? You can get your nitrates down slowly with water changes, and test throughout the week to see if it’s staying down, climbing, etc... Like Maggie said, probably would be a good idea to wait as well just to give your tank some time to get used to the bio load. Slow and steady - when tanks get stable, any changes cause it to be unstable for a bit until it adapts. If too drastic change, it’s hard for them to adapt

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see you are thinking about a shrimp too. I do love mine. I have a tangaroa goby and pistol shrimp pair. Still patience is key.
Trust me I've been doing research. I'm an impatient 15 year old boy haha. Do you suggest I add something before that? My plan was to get the watchman goby and pistol shrimp. Wait a few weeks, add a royal gramma and bangai and thats it. From there coral. Or can I add coral this weekend instead of a fish

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to say the tank is around 2 months old? You can get your nitrates down slowly with water changes, and test throughout the week to see if it’s staying down, climbing, etc... Like Maggie said, probably would be a good idea to wait as well just to give your tank some time to get used to the bio load. Slow and steady - when tanks get stable, any changes cause it to be unstable for a bit until it adapts. If too drastic change, it’s hard for them to adapt
This makes sense, what about a coral? I was thinking a leather coral so the clowns can host it. I read those are hardy.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a couple frags of coral. That won't increase your bioload negatively. I understand The impatient thing. But this is good practice for those patience muscles. I get the itch to add something sometimes too. At this point I am running out of rock for frags!

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a couple frags of coral. That won't increase your bioload negatively. I understand The impatient thing. But this is good practice for those patience muscles. I get the itch to add something sometimes too. At this point I am running out of rock for frags!
Awesome!

OP
OP
ileas12:

ileas12:

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I maybe just start with one because I don’t really know my alkalinity and the other coral parameters

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back