Can I add one more tang?

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The reason I want to add one more tang is to add some more movement in the tank and also hopefully reduce some chasing between my convict tang and yellow tang. It used to be hippo tang and convict now it’s the yellow and convict. They don’t bite they just swim together side by side.

I have a waterbox 220.6, SPS dominant.

current fish list:

2 yellow watchman
1 royal gramma
1 hippo tang
1 yellow tang
1 convict tang
6 lyretails (5 females 1 male)
1 sand sifting goby
3 wrasses
1 Kole tang yellow eye
2 ocellaris clowns
1 rainfordi goby
1 foxface

I don’t know what to add, if it’s possible, but I would definitely like 1 more tang. I have extremely high flow in this tank, lots of open swimming room and a good chunk of caves. If you look at my tank at night in the dark, all the fish are gone.

I’ve posted about fish list before but I feel that now that I have a more stable environment I need to revisit this question. What other tang, or tangs, can I add? If any?
Thank you!

Last edited:

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is my list in a RS 750:
Blue
Yellow
Sohal
Gem
Chevron
Purple
Black

WHITE TAIL BRISTLETOOTH

Clownfish x 2
Lyretail Anthias
Sailfin/Algae Blenny
Fiji fox face Bicolor Foxface
Regal angel
Blue Throat Triggerfish male and female
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Passer Angelfish
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
One Spot Foxface

I don't have any issues with any of them except for the passer and now the sohal since they've outgrown my tank.

To answer you question you won't really know until you add the fish and see how everyone reacts. I have had to remove new tangs that get beaten up too bad after a few days and move them to the sump until I find a new home for them.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... you do have a large tank, mostly small fish it seems. If it doesn't seem over crowded then I'd go for it. As long as you can keep nutrients under control. Whats the tank look like? Picture please!

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Actually, forgot to mention I also have a very peaceful friendly foxface! He’s a big boy definitely the calm one. Picture

Attachments

• C628E8CE-66E6-4B71-AA64-AEE1FB5E6219.jpeg
    C628E8CE-66E6-4B71-AA64-AEE1FB5E6219.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So essentially pick what I like and see what happens?
I LOVE the Achilles tang but I was reading they need more like 300 gallons :(

c4sxm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Achilles will require a bigger tank at some point but you can always get a really small one and sale it when it gets too big or upgrade the tank.
Most of my tangs started out at 2-3 inches and now are 6-8 inches and I'm getting rid of the larger ones.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The reason I want to add one more tang is to add some more movement in the tank and also hopefully reduce some chasing between my convict tang and yellow tang. It used to be hippo tang and convict now it’s the yellow and convict. They don’t bite they just swim together side by side.

current fish list:

2 yellow watchman
1 royal gramma
1 hippo tang
1 yellow tang
1 convict tang
1 sand sifting goby
3 wrasses
1 Kole tang yellow eye
2 ocellaris clowns
1 rainfordi goby
1 foxface

I don’t know what to add, if it’s possible, but I would definitely like 1 more tang. I have extremely high flow in this tank, lots of open swimming room and a good chunk of caves. If you look at my tank at night in the dark, all the fish are gone.

I’ve posted about fish list before but I feel that now that I have a more stable environment I need to revisit this question. What other tang, or tangs, can I add? If any?
Thank you!
You could but just be warned that the hippo and yellow may n out be too friendly. The convicts seem 50/50 on good or bad though.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could but just be warned that the hippo and yellow may n out be too friendly. The convicts seem 50/50 on good or bad though.
I want to add my most aggressive tang last just don’t know what. Powder blue, powder brown? There’s a ton of information out there just don’t know so I’m looking for more experience based answers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE the Achilles tang but I was reading they need more like 300 gallons :(
Going by that theory, the Powder Blue and Gold Rim needs a similar tank size as they get the same size possibly larger.

Personally, I’d go for it if you wanted and know you can keep it healthy.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about powder brown? This tank is going to be active for about 5 years SPS tank. This will be my last fish in addition to two more royal grammas. Everything has been quarantined as well so I’m not concerned about ich or anything like that.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about powder brown? This tank is going to be active for about 5 years SPS tank. This will be my last fish in addition to two more royal grammas. Everything has been quarantined as well so I’m not concerned about ich or anything like that.
Again, with the theory above it would be the same. I find it’s just not true.

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

current fish list:

2 yellow watchman
1 royal gramma
1 hippo tang
1 yellow tang
1 convict tang
1 sand sifting goby
3 wrasses
1 Kole tang yellow eye
2 ocellaris clowns
1 rainfordi goby
1 foxface

Thank you!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tangs in my one tank 40g which is supposed to be a huge no no (so I been hearing for 6 years ). they’re completely fine and they’re 8 other fish in there for over 2 years no problems whatsoever healthy as can be a blue hippo and a salfin I got them around the same size and I recommend that. Point is do what you want you got a monster tank man just imo get them the same size around let them nuke it out for a few days keep them well fed your good imo . lol if I had your tank I’d have the dang ocean in that thing plus half your list sounds like tiny guys….don’t listen to the hype as long as your filtration is on point you can add way more tangs/fish then you think ….come get me tang police you mofossss

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tangs in my one tank 40g which is supposed to be a huge no no (so I been hearing for 6 years ). they’re completely fine and they’re 8 other fish in there for over 2 years no problems whatsoever healthy as can be a blue hippo and a salfin I got them around the same size and I recommend that. Point is do what you want you got a monster tank man just imo get them the same size around let them nuke it out for a few days keep them well fed your good imo . lol if I had your tank I’d have the dang ocean in that thing plus half your list sounds like tiny guys….don’t listen to the hype as long as your filtration is on point you can add way more tangs/fish then you think ….come get me tang police you mofossss
Sailfins and Hippos both get large, the fact they haven’t outgrown the tank says to me somethings wrong, whether that’s them stunted or not having the proper diet.

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfins and Hippos both get large, the fact they haven’t outgrown the tank says to me somethings wrong, whether that’s them stunted or not having the proper diet.
Then whatever it is they’re happy I just wanted to see why it was so looked down upon they’re fat constantly swimming beautiful color Dk what else to say I think the overhype is real ….some people don’t have money for a 200 gallon ….it worked for me I’ll take it dang I even got a flame angel 2 clowns 2 gobies firefish that paired up 3 damsels a medium banana wrasse a cardinal a royal gamma…I had a small flounder but he passed besides that I haven’t lose anything …same stock since I moved into my house except the damsels bc last tank they were spawns of satan ….

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I feed them mix of tdo pellets algae pellets and both frozen shrimp…sometimes I trick them into even eating fish eggs lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also need algae in their diet, I prefer to feed my herbivores a mix of live and dry algae as it adds nutrients that may not be found in dry algae.

As for why it’s frowned upon;
When given the correct diet, these fish will grow at a very fast pace. They will quickly outgrow anything less than a 6’ tank in a couple of years (months for the smaller tanks such as 40s). They also stress out easily which is why a small tank can do more harm than good to a large specimen. Your two sound like they’re surviving but not thriving (And there’s a big difference between those two).

As for the rest of your stock, they are all small fish that will fit long term in that tank (aside from the wrasse). The wrasse however will get quite large and active, 5” sounds small but really I wouldn’t put a Halichoeres wrasse in anything less than 4’ of tank after owning several along with other wrasses.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

current fish list:

2 yellow watchman
1 royal gramma
1 hippo tang
1 yellow tang
1 convict tang
1 sand sifting goby
3 wrasses
1 Kole tang yellow eye
2 ocellaris clowns
1 rainfordi goby
1 foxface

Thank you!
IMO any of the "powders" could be aggressive beasts. Why not add a pair of genicanthus angles. Good swimmers and may dissipate the tang aggression.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO any of the "powders" could be aggressive beasts. Why not add a pair of genicanthus angles. Good swimmers and may dissipate the tang aggression.
Genicanthus bellus?
They look awesome but I have not done any research on them, but will look into them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back