Can I do a mandarin?

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my 90 gallon tank running for almost a year and a half, and I’m considering rescuing a mandarin from my lfs that doesn’t seem to care for them well. But I’m not sure if my tank is gonna be much better. I have a decent sized melanarus Wrasse and Coris Wrasse and I’m worried they would out compete it for food. I have a refuge and I’ve seen my pod population really increase over the past 4 months. Any opinions welcome! It’s green mandarin fish if that makes a difference.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see pods in your DT then go for it

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend trying to train it onto prepared foods ASAP. Try decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and frozen baby brine as a first step. Feed with all pumps off. Squirt some directly in front of the mandarin. Once they start eating, you can mix in some cyclops. You can also supplement with live BABY brine shrimp, which are really easy to raise in a day or two.

They usually develop a feeding pattern eventually. Mine goes to the top rock where all the food falls now as soon as she figures out it's feeding time when the pumps go off.

I think the fish is probably better in your care than in anyone else's.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend trying to train it onto prepared foods ASAP. Try decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and frozen baby brine as a first step. Feed with all pumps off. Squirt some directly in front of the mandarin. Once they start eating, you can mix in some cyclops. You can also supplement with live BABY brine shrimp, which are really easy to raise in a day or two.

They usually develop a feeding pattern eventually. Mine goes to the top rock where all the food falls now as soon as she figures out it's feeding time when the pumps go off.

Well I have frozen cyclops that I use to feed some corals and my cleaner Wrasse occasionally picks at. Should I try with that first or get some brine shrimp eggs when I get the mandarin.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some in the Display tank once or twice at night but I can barely see them and some/most nights I don’t see any.

Turn your pumps off and you will usually see more of them on the glass after 15 minutes or so. They hide in the rocks/sand while the pumps are on and you usually can't see them.

Also, after the lights go off you can shine a light on the side of the tank and usually see them.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have a melanarus wrasse and a mandarin, both are fat and happy. They’re in a 100g only 7 months old, but with live rock from Tampa bay.

I monitor the pods by looking for them on the glass. If they start to disappear I add in some more 5280 pods from algae barn. I also mix in some reef nutrition phyto feast into my frozen food mix for the pods. I’ve only added the 5280 pods twice.

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have a melanarus wrasse and a mandarin, both are fat and happy. They’re in a 100g only 7 months old, but with live rock from Tampa bay.

I monitor the pods by looking for them on the glass. If they start to disappear I add in some more 5280 pods from algae barn. I also mix in some reef nutrition phyto feast into my frozen food mix for the pods. I’ve only added the 5280 pods twice.

Yeah I added some dry rock I never used to my Fuge and I think I’ll maybe get some more add like swap out the rocks. Few months in the display few months in the sump. If I turn off my return pump how will I get pods in the DT. I also see a ton of pods on my Fuge wall regardless of pumps on or off

OP
OP
Struggler

Struggler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the difference between regular brine shrimp eggs and decapsulated brine shrimp eggs

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back