1632699975182.gif
You said it all.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would much rather eat macro grown in a reef tank then aquacultured tilapia or salmon. All the dulse and sea lettuce I harvest comes from salt marshes, the filter of the ocean. You won't find macro growing in open water with low nutrients cept kelp. I can not imagine a reef tank having the levels of heavy metals that the areas most edible seaweeds are harvested from have.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. The closest I got to that point was getting a mouthful of tank water while starting up drip acclimation ;Meh.
Before reading your comment .
I was going to ask if a mouthful of tank water has ever made the op puke .
I’ve had skimmer sludge splash in my mouth once. .
I thought I was going to die after my stomach turned inside out .

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with regard to the heavy metals part. My worry would be the fact that the macro has been bathing 24/7 in a small volume of water with various potentially toxic corals and other organisms. The wild harvested algae isn't exposed to the same concentrations or the same corals for that matter. I can only imagine what would happen if someone ate algae that's been absorbing palytoxin for some time from corals, dinos, etc.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of bad news for you. Nothing is bugging free.
Bug parts are found any many seasons. I mean many! I hope you don't eat chocolate!
Wait. What do you mean by “chocolate”?!?!

I know the FDA allows a certain number of rat hairs in peanut butter, but I didn’t know there were bugs in chocolate!

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilapia isn’t even a fish … is it ?
It is a Cichlid, so it is a fish. I believe they live in fresh and brackish water.
I agree with regard to the heavy metals part. My worry would be the fact that the macro has been bathing 24/7 in a small volume of water with various potentially toxic corals and other organisms. The wild harvested algae isn't exposed to the same concentrations or the same corals for that matter. I can only imagine what would happen if someone ate algae that's been absorbing palytoxin for some time from corals, dinos, etc.
I just imagine a zoa spitting on some chaeto when you not looking, flavoring it up for you lol.
Well, you see, I have no coral in my build and I do not plan to in the future (there’s a reason I call it WheatToast’s Anti-Reef). However, as @Isopod80 stated, there would be plenty more in the system to worry about.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you have any links to articles? I really want to read about this.
Not on me but I can tell you that some acceptable ingredients within certain levels happen to be rodent droppings, hair, insect parts. and so on....Just like the Manhattan Tunnel System. If your lucky you may even find chunks of Michael Jackson impersonating street performer, homless guy, or Elmo costume...Delish

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not eat anything out of our tanks. I would eat edible seaweed from the ocean as long as its not from a polluted area though.

I just think eating from our small contained systems is gross. I guess I don't know what potential pollutants or toxins algae in our tanks might take up. Same reason I would not eat a pet store fish (ok more reasons than that) but would eat sustainably caught wild fish. I guess in general, I try to think about where stuff comes from. Wild caught local sourced fish is generally a good choice. No tilapia or farm raised salmon for me.

And yes, chocolate has bug parts in it, so does cereal and so on.

Last edited:

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tilapia isn’t even a fish … is it ?
Most mass aquacultured fish on the face of the earth normally in very polluted small systems with minimal filtration. Mmm fish raised in poop yum.

@Isopod80 good point on the palytoxin however I think the risks related to palytoxin are over blown. Oddly enough when we have red tide advisories the shellfish harvest is closed but macro is still legal to collect. Makes me wonder if they don't absorb paralytic shellfish poisoning toxin would the same apply with palytoxin? Still wouldn't personally take the risk but I imagine the risk of poisoning would be very very low.

Attachments

• tilapia-scaled.jpg
    tilapia-scaled.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 50

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Cichlid, so it is a fish. I believe they live in fresh and brackish water.

Well, you see, I have no coral in my build and I do not plan to in the future (there’s a reason I call it WheatToast’s Anti-Reef). However, as @Isopod80 stated, there would be plenty more in the system to worry about.
I remember seeing something years ago about tilapia being a genetically and masproduced fish like product , that isn’t actually a fish .

no matter what it is . I have never tried it

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait. What do you mean by “chocolate”?!?!

I know the FDA allows a certain number of rat hairs in peanut butter, but I didn’t know there were bugs in chocolate!
You might want to not look into that one.
Never mind, he went there

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back