Can I Eat My Tank's Macroalgae?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are eating seaweed, stick with crispy texture. I like sea grapes & Red Ogo.

Tang Heaven Red™
The natural red seaweed diet of Tangs

Yellows, Hippos, Nasos, Blues, Koles, Achilles, etc. as well as many omnivores such as pygmy angels. Why invest in "terrestrial" diets like Romaine lettuce when a superior marine alternative is now available? Tang Heaven Red is 100% live natural seaweed from the place that made tangs famous - Hawaii's Kona coast. Tested and proven by IPSF for more than ten years as a COMPLETE diet for all of the popular ornamental surgeonfishes. High in natural fibers, which are known to combat, prevent and cure head and lateral line erosion disease. More convenient and economical than nori (dried seaweed). We achieve TOTAL wild color retention in Hawaiian tangs with the high levels of fresh pigments in Tang Heaven Red. Rich in garlic esters, Tang Heaven Red has superior medicinal properties which must be experienced to be fully appreciated. Shipped alive as moist fronds which you can add directly as food to your main tank, or float it in your sump or refugium as a living filter to remove ammonia, nitrates and phosphates.

Tang Heaven Red live diet, $9.95 for 1/4 lb with any livestock order. When ordered alone: 1/2 lb minimum, $59.95 including Fedex and box; 1 lb, $69.95 including Fedex and box. Order today!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are eating seaweed, stick with crispy texture. I like sea grapes & Red Ogo.

Tang Heaven Red™
The natural red seaweed diet of Tangs

Yellows, Hippos, Nasos, Blues, Koles, Achilles, etc. as well as many omnivores such as pygmy angels. Why invest in "terrestrial" diets like Romaine lettuce when a superior marine alternative is now available? Tang Heaven Red is 100% live natural seaweed from the place that made tangs famous - Hawaii's Kona coast. Tested and proven by IPSF for more than ten years as a COMPLETE diet for all of the popular ornamental surgeonfishes. High in natural fibers, which are known to combat, prevent and cure head and lateral line erosion disease. More convenient and economical than nori (dried seaweed). We achieve TOTAL wild color retention in Hawaiian tangs with the high levels of fresh pigments in Tang Heaven Red. Rich in garlic esters, Tang Heaven Red has superior medicinal properties which must be experienced to be fully appreciated. Shipped alive as moist fronds which you can add directly as food to your main tank, or float it in your sump or refugium as a living filter to remove ammonia, nitrates and phosphates.

Tang Heaven Red live diet, $9.95 for 1/4 lb with any livestock order. When ordered alone: 1/2 lb minimum, $59.95 including Fedex and box; 1 lb, $69.95 including Fedex and box. Order today!
I was thining ogo (gracilaria)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, is is it safe to harvest and eat macroalgae from my own aquarium, specifically members of the Ulva genus (and possibly Caulerpa lentillifera in the future)? Is there something they would contain after having grown in my aquarium that would make them inedible or would a thorough wash under the tap be enough to make them fit for consumption?
I have eaten both of those species from the tank. When I sent Red Ogo to be analyzed at regional agriculture lab, test showed 7ppm of copper and 20ppm of zinc, even when water tested showed no copper or zinc.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have eaten both of those species from the tank. When I sent Red Ogo to be analyzed at regional agriculture lab, test showed 7ppm of copper and 20ppm of zinc, even when water tested showed no copper or zinc.
Guess either it makes that, or absorbed it for you.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp looks like macros are pretty good sources for your mineral content , btw how'd it taste ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are people who eat aquarium macros preparing them to ensure they dont eat vibrio/litany of concentrated bacteria and viruses from a home aquarium that uses 0% of food production science

are we just winging it? all the infections get from people sticking just their dry skin arm in the tank...the palytoxin back and forth, any preps or just winging it? a food production facility for edible oceanic macros will not be feeding reef roids, housing concentrated fish and keeping their waste in a filthy sandbed, or be without UV sterilization etc

when harvested from the ocean there's less concentration going on and some practice harvesting and farming the macros from a given zone, the concentration of waste and pathogens in an aquarium are astounding comparatively.

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried eating some Ulva from my ATS before, only a little though. I wouldn't mind trying again. I have no corals and I have not added any medication or supplement in the tank (other then very little sodium silicate in the past).

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uva and see grapes are edible. I am not sure I would eat the one from my tank, but when you buy them in the shop or eat them in an Asian restaurant you do not really know where they come from nor how they are grown. So if you know exactly what you put in your tank and wash them well or better yet cook them it probably is not worse than what you buy.
The macro algae I grow in one of my tank feed my fish in the other one.

Om84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two little fishies bag of red sea veggies smelled so much like raisins that I eventually gave in and nibbled a bit. They do not taste like raisins.

tastes pretty good with a shot of organic skimmate

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back