Can I Keep a Cowfish Longterm?

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon aquarium and I will be moving out of my parents’ house soon, so I wanted to leave my parents a fish they’ll really cherish while I’m gone. My dad worked with cattle for a very long time and spent a lot of his childhood at the family ranch, so he would be ecstatic and my mom loves them too. My mom had a large aquarium when she was younger and she has helped me with aquarium stuff, so I trust my parents to keep it healthy outside of some freak accident happening. I am concerned about their size however. I get mixed reports on how some get 20+” but most stay significantly smaller. Would it be okay to keep one long-term in the tank? I don’t think they would be too keen on a size upgrade if I’m being honest lol.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite a commitment to surprise someone with, do they know you plan on leaving the tank up and running with the expectation they will maintain it? While they may be capable it may be worth confirming that is what they want as well before getting too deep :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
a;lksdjf

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite a commitment to surprise someone with, do they know you plan on leaving the tank up and running with the expectation they will maintain it? While they may be capable it may be worth confirming that is what they want as well before getting too deep :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Absolutely. We have known for months that this was going to happen eventually. I wouldn’t leave a pet for someone unless they had full knowledge of it and the ability and willingness to take it in.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cowfish are great and full of personality - but I understand that they are not for beginners,
tempImageyomrIm.png
I have no direct experience

your avatar is a great fish too, and more of a pet than an inhabitant, I suspect you know that - I love mine too...

OP
OP
a;lksdjf

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cowfish are great and full of personality - but I understand that they are not for beginners,
tempImageyomrIm.png
I have no direct experience

your avatar is a great fish too, and more of a pet than an inhabitant, I suspect you know that - I love mine too...
I had one in my 45 gallon, I miss him dearly. I’m not sure if I would want my parents to have to worry about the hard shelled food though. I’ll ask

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my 45 gallon, I miss him dearly. I’m not sure if I would want my parents to have to worry about the hard shelled food though. I’ll ask
Mine has been going fine with frozen brine etc, shredded scallops including frozen krill 14-16 months now…

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longhorn cowfish do get quite large, excess of 16 inches in the wild. That's granted they can keep it long enough for that to happen. Trunkfish's distinctive shape comes from the bone that encases their body, so that makes their growth insanely slow. My boss at work has had her cowfish for at least 8 years, and it's barely at 9 inches long. That fish would be fine in that tank for quite a long time, and if they ever get it to a size potential to need a larger tank, you might have a plan for that by then.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longhorn cowfish do get quite large, excess of 16 inches in the wild. That's granted they can keep it long enough for that to happen. Trunkfish's distinctive shape comes from the bone that encases their body, so that makes their growth insanely slow. My boss at work has had her cowfish for at least 8 years, and it's barely at 9 inches long. That fish would be fine in that tank for quite a long time, and if they ever get it to a size potential to need a larger tank, you might have a plan for that by then.
There is a resturant/bar in Raleigh called the Cowfish, and have a number of them in tanks, and they are ridiculously cool, and the Resturant is not bad -

check their website

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back