Can I save this rock flower?

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two rock flowers in my new-ish tank since December. They appear to be healthy and happy. I added a third a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to settle right in. A few days ago, however, I noticed that the new one looked stressed. It's gotten progressively worse, retracting to half the size, with the guts coming out the mouth. Last night, it released and relocated.

pH - 8
Alk - 8
Nitrates - 5 ppm
Phosphates - .02 ppm

I have Cipro on hand and am wondering if that or something else may be able to salvage this guy. Little help?

Some photos:

All three rock flowers a few days ago:
PXL_20220204_024916226.jpg

The two healthy ones today:
PXL_20220210_155449454.jpg PXL_20220210_155415699.jpg

And the sick nem (or course, it moved to a location that makes taking a clear photo even more challenging):
PXL_20220210_161206547.jpg

Any suggestions?

Lividfanatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with fresh carbon if you haven't already done that. You could mix up some fresh saltwater and move it to a new tank. Clearly, your parameters are fine if the other two are healthy. I have heard of BTA's not liking each other and slowly killing one another through chemical warfare. If it is a bacterial infection cipro might be your next step, but i have zero experience with it so I cant comment on that part.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had two rock flowers in my new-ish tank since December. They appear to be healthy and happy. I added a third a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to settle right in. A few days ago, however, I noticed that the new one looked stressed. It's gotten progressively worse, retracting to half the size, with the guts coming out the mouth. Last night, it released and relocated.

pH - 8
Alk - 8
Nitrates - 5 ppm
Phosphates - .02 ppm

I have Cipro on hand and am wondering if that or something else may be able to salvage this guy. Little help?

Some photos:

All three rock flowers a few days ago:
PXL_20220204_024916226.jpg

The two healthy ones today:
PXL_20220210_155449454.jpg PXL_20220210_155415699.jpg

And the sick nem (or course, it moved to a location that makes taking a clear photo even more challenging):
PXL_20220210_161206547.jpg

Any suggestions?
The only things I have personally experienced that proved fatal to any RFAs of mine were a DOA from being used as a soccer ball while stuck in Memphis for 3 days (thanks FedEx), and a fatal wound caused by peppermint shrimp.

I would recommend target feeding him some aminos. Any RFA I’ve had look unwell usually perks up noticeably after some targeting with AB+. I’d also recommend removing any peppermint shrimp if you have them.

Other than that, sometimes RFAs can just act a bit weird. For example, some of mine can look pretty rough after taking a big “number 2.” Are you sure it was your RFAs internals, and not just relieving itself (lol)? They can also expel their Zooxanthellae if they are getting too much light. Maybe yours decided he was getting too much and expelled/moved?

Just give him some aminos if you have any on hand, and if you don’t, reef roids also might help. After a few days maybe try target feeding some small mysis.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
did it lose color/bleach out? i have an RFA that lost color/bleached and am thinking of getting some cipro..

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things I have personally experienced that proved fatal to any RFAs of mine were a DOA from being used as a soccer ball while stuck in Memphis for 3 days (thanks FedEx), and a fatal wound caused by peppermint shrimp.

I would recommend target feeding him some aminos. Any RFA I’ve had look unwell usually perks up noticeably after some targeting with AB+. I’d also recommend removing any peppermint shrimp if you have them.

Other than that, sometimes RFAs can just act a bit weird. For example, some of mine can look pretty rough after taking a big “number 2.” Are you sure it was your RFAs internals, and not just relieving itself (lol)? They can also expel their Zooxanthellae if they are getting too much light. Maybe yours decided he was getting too much and expelled/moved?

Just give him some aminos if you have any on hand, and if you don’t, reef roids also might help. After a few days maybe try target feeding some small mysis.
I didn't have any aminos on hand, but I did have some samples of Reef Roids from RAP, and that seemed to perk the little guy right up. He still doesn't look tip top, but I'm floored by the change in just a few hours. I'm a little more optimistic. Thanks!
did it lose color/bleach out? i have an RFA that lost color/bleached and am thinking of getting some cipro..
It didn't really bleach out - almost the opposite. Like, it contracted and looked more opaque than it normally does, so the colors seemed a little brighter... In a bad way, you know? If it doesn't seem to be on the upswing over the next few days, I might still try the Cipro.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have any aminos on hand, but I did have some samples of Reef Roids from RAP, and that seemed to perk the little guy right up. He still doesn't look tip top, but I'm floored by the change in just a few hours. I'm a little more optimistic. Thanks!

It didn't really bleach out - almost the opposite. Like, it contracted and looked more opaque than it normally does, so the colors seemed a little brighter... In a bad way, you know? If it doesn't seem to be on the upswing over the next few days, I might still try the Cipro.

Good to hear he perked up a bit! Just give him some time and some more reef roids (if you have any left) in 3 or 4 days! Probably want to avoid giving him any solid meaty food (like mysis) for a week or so!

They can change pretty dramatically, but they are pretty resilient. I wonder what could have made him upset lol!

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear he perked up a bit! Just give him some time and some more reef roids (if you have any left) in 3 or 4 days! Probably want to avoid giving him any solid meaty food (like mysis) for a week or so!

They can change pretty dramatically, but they are pretty resilient. I wonder what could have made him upset lol!
Well, I just introduced a new frog spawn to the tank and I'm kind of wondering if there was a little chemical warfare? It's on the opposite side of the tank, but the flow would line up with where the nem used to be before it cut and run. Really, it was fine and then it was like something flipped a switch. Funny that it was so much more sensitive than the other two...?

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 flowers. Placed them in the tank on a sunny side of the main rock. Immediately one migrated to the darker side of the rock. Became almost white and even shed its outer ring. Everytime i thought it was dead i tried to poke it. Everytime i saw a very small flinch. So i left it. Its been about 3 months and this week it is now spreading its body over the sand just like the other and is full of color.

OP
OP
ShrimpBandit

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 flowers. Placed them in the tank on a sunny side of the main rock. Immediately one migrated to the darker side of the rock. Became almost white and even shed its outer ring. Everytime i thought it was dead i tried to poke it. Everytime i saw a very small flinch. So i left it. Its been about 3 months and this week it is now spreading its body over the sand just like the other and is full of color.
They're so weird. I'm finally starting to err on the side of "leave it alone and see what happens" for most of this stuff. It's just so hard to not go all mad scientist when something is off.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back