can my yellow tang be "un sump banished"? Will it work out?

what should I do with my tang

• throw him back in and let them figure it out themselves

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • reintroduce and use an acclimation box

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • return to the LFS, it won't work out

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • other - please explain below

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feel the pain. I have 5 and they were little angels at 2-3 ". Now at 4+", they are jerks. Often squabble, get testy with any new fish and will eat every grain of food I drop in tank and go bad to jerk mode.

360ooo.jpg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a yellow tang housed with a coral beauty for 10 months now. No aggression from the tang at all. The CB is a butt head to pretty much everyone though. I purchased both from Petco as they weren't in the best condition. I have had a mirror hanging on the side of the tank the whole time because fairy wrasses are jerks. The mirror is probably the best thing I've done to counter aggression. I have noticed that if I don't rehang the mirror after cleaning or it falls off, then the aggression picks up.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with my dottyback. He's harassing the poor blenny. He barely leaves his hole without dottyback swooping at him. Can you guys elucidate on the tricks suggested? Newbie here

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with my dottyback. He's harassing the poor blenny. He barely leaves his hole without dottyback swooping at him. Can you guys elucidate on the tricks suggested? Newbie here

Sure.

1 - catch the fish and place in your sump for a while. Perhaps rearrange some rock work so the fish is a bit unfamiliar when returning. Now it’s kinda like it’s the last fish introduced and the other have seniority.

2 - when re introducing after some sump time, or when introducing any new fish, place them in an acclimation box for a week or more in the tank. The other fish get used to it and will do their flashing or fin waving or whatever fish do to tell the new guy this is our tank.

3 - mirror on a side wall. My tang, your Dotyback, and many other fish are intolerant of their own kind unless they are a bonded pair. By seeing their reflection they think there is another one there. They will charge the mirror, flash at it etc thinking they are fighting for their territory. This usually works and occupies them vs attacking other fish.

Hope that helps.

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the pain. I have 5 and they were little angels at 2-3 ". Now at 4+", they are jerks. Often squabble, get testy with any new fish and will eat every grain of food I drop in tank and go bad to jerk mode.

360ooo.jpg
What is the fish on the bottom of the tank slightly to the left? I think i have the same type of fish but dont know what it is? Was sold as a thompson tang but dont know.

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure.

1 - catch the fish and place in your sump for a while. Perhaps rearrange some rock work so the fish is a bit unfamiliar when returning. Now it’s kinda like it’s the last fish introduced and the other have seniority.

2 - when re introducing after some sump time, or when introducing any new fish, place them in an acclimation box for a week or more in the tank. The other fish get used to it and will do their flashing or fin waving or whatever fish do to tell the new guy this is our tank.

3 - mirror on a side wall. My tang, your Dotyback, and many other fish are intolerant of their own kind unless they are a bonded pair. By seeing their reflection they think there is another one there. They will charge the mirror, flash at it etc thinking they are fighting for their territory. This usually works and occupies them vs attacking other fish.

Hope that helps.
Is an acclimation box the same thing as a fry box? it just seems so small.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is an acclimation box the same thing as a fry box? it just seems so small.

Acclimation boxes come in many different shapes and sizes.

I am actually using my fish trap as an acclimation box.
97050348841081b3279044c8a18f7319.jpg

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45F37C61-923B-49F1-83E3-807E5844AC85.jpeg
The foxface is now chilling under the acclimation box. The tang try’s to tail slap him every so often thru the glass.

For the most part the tang seems ok when the foxface is around but I’m not sure yet.

I also taped a Mirror to the side and the poor tang totally freaked out. I felt rather bad that the tang was confined and trapped with the mirror, so I removed it.

If I decide to release the tang again, I will put the mirror back up

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well........ let the tang out and put up a mirror. Half the fish in the tank were freaking out at the mirror. The tang and foxface spent an hour side by side ticked off at it!

Also my solon wrasse, tailspot blenny and blue chromis.

I have remove the mirror as they had the whole tank stressed out.
ead474e1a8efbd28d4f78752320225cb.jpg

So far so good.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats dottybacks they are just mean to certain fish. They ussually will need to be just removed. Any tricks with them only last for a while.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation boxes come in many different shapes and sizes.

I am actually using my fish trap as an acclimation box.
97050348841081b3279044c8a18f7319.jpg

Reminds me of the Pike Syndrome experiment [LINK]. If you keep him in there long enough, he should learn to its pointless to try and slap. I introduced a second yellow tang into a tank with a single establish yellow tang and it started out badly. Went on for days. I put an eggcrate divider between them for over 4 weeks and slowly opened the divider up (they could still retreat to their side). And it worked. Over a year later they are respecting each other's space. I think the key is time. These tangs are just slow learners and need weeks to learnt the lesson.. . . Like Mr. bubbles in nemo.

Narniahopper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience (and that of many others), the aggression will usually subside within a few days. Honestly, they end up being best buddies most of the time. There will be aggression early though.

But they are your fish. It looks like you've chosen a safer course. I can't blame you.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a long video, but so far, so good.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sadly I had to put the tang back in the sump this morning. Found him tail slapping the foxface in the corner and would not let him out of the corner.

I was pretty hopeful after yesterday.

I will rehome him as quickly as possible.

Thanks to everyone following along and those who shared their experiences.

Mike

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back