Can RODI Waste Water be used in a pond?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my RODI unit connected to a water collection tank that's never seen tap water, and was wondering if I could plumb the wastewater line of my RODI unit to a pond? The TDS of the waste water is 006 to 007 ppm, the TDS of the rain water coming out of the tank about the same. The pond is a 200 gallon with a couple Shubukin gold fish.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you can use the waste water for anything you would be willing to use tap water for. Also, what is the tds of your homes water if your waste water is 6-7 ppm?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my tap water TDS at 31ppm
Wow, where do you live, Bouder, CO? Best tasting tap water ever. Either you TDS meter is off or you need to start bottling some water... I bet a bottle of Dasani water isn’t that low...

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've mentioned in your original post that your waste water is at 6-7. Your waste water should test above what the TAP water tests - something is off.
My RODI unit isn't hooked up to my Tap, it's pulling water with a booster pump from a water tank that collects rainwater from a veranda's gutter. The water coming out of the tank tests at 6 ppm and the waste-water tests at 6-7 coming out of the unit, my RODI water is 0 ppm. I tested my homes sink tap water at 31 ppm for Gtinnel because he asked. I'm in Australia, I'm using the same TDS meter for all the testing so I guess we could still use it as a reference if it were to be off, I take good care of it, rinsing in RODI after every use though.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My RODI unit isn't hooked up to my Tap, it's pulling water with a booster pump from a water tank that collects rainwater from a veranda's gutter. The water coming out of the tank tests at 6 ppm and the waste-water tests at 6-7 coming out of the unit, my RODI water is 0 ppm. I tested my homes sink tap water at 31 ppm for Gtinnel because he asked. I'm in Australia, I'm using the same TDS meter for all the testing so I guess we could still use it as a reference if it were to be off, I take good care of it, rinsing in RODI after every use though.

Got it. Now it makes sense.

So to answer your original question, yes you can use it in a pond. Your waste-water is lower in TDS than most TAP.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested my tap water TDS at 31ppm

Your waste water is certainly more than your input. It doesn't make sense otherwise. My tap TDS is 14 and my waste is about 24-25.

I use the waste to do water changes on my freshwater tank, I am sure using yours in a pond would be just fine.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as an update I've had my RODI wastewater plumbed to my pond for the past month. Summer has started to hit, and a little before summer hit I started feeding a little more regularly. The Pond used to have crystal clear water,like immaculately clear, a little over a month ago. Idk if it was the RODI waste water, the more attention to feeding, a few Ramshorn snails I threw in that are now big, or just the new beating summer sun, the pond is in direct sunlight when the sun is at its highest point mind you. But it has bloomed in like a waterborne algae, I know it's not harmful but going from crystal clear to the Algae water makes the whole pond look way different. I was thinking I should load it with micro crustaceans like pods to eat it but it might be time for a quality UV sterilizer.
It's literally a night and day change though from a visual perspective.
Think I'm going to really hold off on feeding, I even saw live mosquito larvae in the water because it is so green the fish can't even prey on them.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So as an update I've had my RODI wastewater plumbed to my pond for the past month. Summer has started to hit, and a little before summer hit I started feeding a little more regularly. The Pond used to have crystal clear water,like immaculately clear, a little over a month ago. Idk if it was the RODI waste water, the more attention to feeding, a few Ramshorn snails I threw in that are now big, or just the new beating summer sun, the pond is in direct sunlight when the sun is at its highest point mind you. But it has bloomed in like a waterborne algae, I know it's not harmful but going from crystal clear to the Algae water makes the whole pond look way different. I was thinking I should load it with micro crustaceans like pods to eat it but it might be time for a quality UV sterilizer.
Think I'm going to really hold off on feeding, I even saw live mosquito larvae in the water because it is so green the fish can't even prey on them.

If you pond has full sun exposure a UV sterilizer is a must.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend using Evolution Aqua Pond Bomb (beneficial bacteria) monthly in conjunction w UV light... this has kept my koi pond crystal clear even w heavy feeding during summer.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back